Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Soichiro

Mansionette In The East

oh, oh... find your purchase list liao. haha :P

and i have light kitchen floor tiles too... bro, happy mopping~ :bangwall: but hopefully yours is better cos the tone looks a bit darker than mine...........

Mine is a little bit beige and officially scared by u already :P

marshy, you scaring me loh... mine also light coloured....

^5!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Now master toilet having some problems...

1) Ceiling flaky

Told painters to smoothen and paint over. They said the ceiling has moisture, even if they paint now, will become like that again in the future. Need to call HDB to ask. What happens usually? HDB officer come down check, then ask upstairs neighbour to redo water proofing??

2) Bad smell

Master toilet has a bad sewage smell sometimes. I felt that air was coming up from the floor drainage... anyone kena before? Last time asked contractor to look at it with me... just nice that day no smell! bleh.

Hi Soichiro,

Your white ceiling fan looks cute. Is it from KDK ? how many inches is the fan ? =)

And yet another month later (yah... drag for very long coz some items no stock, we were slow in buying things)

Contractor just did 1 round of cleaning!

Living Room

View from the stairs

living_above.jpg

Thats where my couch will end up

living_back.jpg

My brick wall.. hole for TV bracket

living_bricks.jpg

Downlights and KDK56" ceiling fan

living_ceiling.jpg

View of outside.. floor shiny shiny.. dunno how long it will last. lol

living_floor.jpg

Hi Soichiro,

Your white ceiling fan looks cute. Is it from KDK ? how many inches is the fan ? =)

hihi! Yes it's KDK, 56". Chose it coz I wanted a plain design. They have a 60" one with 5 blades I think!

1) Ceiling flaky

Told painters to smoothen and paint over. They said the ceiling has moisture, even if they paint now, will become like that again in the future. Need to call HDB to ask. What happens usually? HDB officer come down check, then ask upstairs neighbour to redo water proofing??

Yes... i also noticed that in my MBR bathroom last weekend, while doing the inspection of the work in progress. I found some droplets of yellow liquid. Today, I'm on off and my contractor popped by in the morning, and i highlighted it to him. He said, based on what it looks, maybe the upper level unit might have some water leaking issue.

I took pics of it, and emailed the HDB technical officer IC for my area.

my alternative theory is that, as i didn't notice the water marks and moisture previously... I wonder if it might be due to the wet cement in the MBR bathroom which is drying out over the past 2 days...

the yellow spots - could it be coz by the worker, who might be smoking, while cementing the toilet walls?

anyway, i'll wait for HDB's reply.

anyway, there's small dark and yellow-ish patches on the ceiling of my staircase area too.

The contractor said, it might be dried out stain, which might be caused by seepage from the upper unit when they did their renovation some time back.

Or it might be due to the wall plastering drying out...

anyway, he said, it should be ok after wall plastering and applying of sealant.

anyway, i've emailed HDB abt it, and will wait for their reply.

2) Bad smell

Master toilet has a bad sewage smell sometimes. I felt that air was coming up from the floor drainage... anyone kena before? Last time asked contractor to look at it with me... just nice that day no smell! bleh.

I noticed the bad sewage smell, just after the hacking was done. but more from the sewage pipes, i feel.

But it shouldn't have, after your WC are installed, i guess.

as for the smell from the drainage pipe... i think i read from some t-blogs, that maybe during the renovation, the workers might have thrown some big pieces of cloth/rag, rubbish, etc in to the drainage pipes... which might have blocked the drainage pipes... and will result in flooding issue and also the smell thing.

hmmm... i thought usually the drainage pipe, will have the S or P-trap, which has water which will block out the foul smell...

Yea, it blends in nicely to your ceiling. Just that i guess white color need regular maintenance to rubb away the dust which I think is manageable. Your ceiling fan after installation still have quite a distance from the L-box so will not have shadow issue. not bad~!! :)

hihi! Yes it's KDK, 56". Chose it coz I wanted a plain design. They have a 60" one with 5 blades I think!

marshy, you scaring me loh... mine also light coloured....

Mine is a little bit beige and officially scared by u already :P

LOL bro your floor is definitely darker than mine... hmmm not sure if you guys read my rant on the light-colour kitchen floor tiles in my t-blog~ :lol:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=600289

the trap dirt part in the story probably doesn't apply to you, but light colour = dirt easy to see is certainly true. if you are the type that cannot tahan the sight of dirt on floor, you will find yourself cleaning any spots you see once they appear.... :D

the rest of the house is not so bad, but kitchen is easier to get dirty cos the floor can get wet (e.g. by drops of water accidentally splashed from tap) and you walk around when cooking... dirts can appear when feet step over the water~

the pros of light-colour floor is... once you see dirt, you tend to clean immediately, so the dirt won't accumulate... and this helps to cultivate good house-keeping habit hahahahaha :lol:

1) Ceiling flaky

2) Bad smell

i think HDB will come to check if it's due to your upstairs neighbour water-proofing or other reason...

i also start to have foul smell in toilets recently... :(

read from somewhere in renotalk that to prevent foul smell, the connector between WC and sewege drain hole should be sealed tight with silicone (though most plumbers don't do this). but i am not fully convinced becos:

all waste pipes from (sink, WC) are all connected to the same main sewege pipe evantually. so the smell from sewege pipe can still escape through other drain holes or through the sink... and this is precisely what is happening to me now :bangwall:

but the smell doesn't come all the time... i suspect it's when upstairs/downstairs neighbours are using the toilet... :unsure:

Yes... i also noticed that in my MBR bathroom last weekend, while doing the inspection of the work in progress. I found some droplets of yellow liquid. Today, I'm on off and my contractor popped by in the morning, and i highlighted it to him. He said, based on what it looks, maybe the upper level unit might have some water leaking issue.

I took pics of it, and emailed the HDB technical officer IC for my area.

my alternative theory is that, as i didn't notice the water marks and moisture previously... I wonder if it might be due to the wet cement in the MBR bathroom which is drying out over the past 2 days...

the yellow spots - could it be coz by the worker, who might be smoking, while cementing the toilet walls?

anyway, i'll wait for HDB's reply.

anyway, there's small dark and yellow-ish patches on the ceiling of my staircase area too.

The contractor said, it might be dried out stain, which might be caused by seepage from the upper unit when they did their renovation some time back.

Or it might be due to the wall plastering drying out...

anyway, he said, it should be ok after wall plastering and applying of sealant.

anyway, i've emailed HDB abt it, and will wait for their reply.

Ok I just met up with the HDB officer, he said that the flaky ceiling does not constitute leakage. He only looks for obvious dripping water or brown/yellow stains. Those are the best tell tale signs coz HDB has to convince the upper floor household that it is a leak due to them as well.

So now... just have to tell painter to scrape off, apply sealant and repaint the ceiling.

I noticed the bad sewage smell, just after the hacking was done. but more from the sewage pipes, i feel.

But it shouldn't have, after your WC are installed, i guess.

as for the smell from the drainage pipe... i think i read from some t-blogs, that maybe during the renovation, the workers might have thrown some big pieces of cloth/rag, rubbish, etc in to the drainage pipes... which might have blocked the drainage pipes... and will result in flooding issue and also the smell thing.

hmmm... i thought usually the drainage pipe, will have the S or P-trap, which has water which will block out the foul smell...

Yah for you it should be smelly now :P

The workers sometimes no WC in your house.. may just settle there in the drainage too!

Yea, it blends in nicely to your ceiling. Just that i guess white color need regular maintenance to rubb away the dust which I think is manageable. Your ceiling fan after installation still have quite a distance from the L-box so will not have shadow issue. not bad~!! :)

Thanks! Think white is ok so long as easy to clean. My fan at home now is black, I do tend to ignore the dust... lol

LOL bro your floor is definitely darker than mine... hmmm not sure if you guys read my rant on the light-colour kitchen floor tiles in my t-blog~ :lol:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=600289

the trap dirt part in the story probably doesn't apply to you, but light colour = dirt easy to see is certainly true. if you are the type that cannot tahan the sight of dirt on floor, you will find yourself cleaning any spots you see once they appear.... :D

the rest of the house is not so bad, but kitchen is easier to get dirty cos the floor can get wet (e.g. by drops of water accidentally splashed from tap) and you walk around when cooking... dirts can appear when feet step over the water~

the pros of light-colour floor is... once you see dirt, you tend to clean immediately, so the dirt won't accumulate... and this helps to cultivate good house-keeping habit hahahahaha :lol:

Yeah! Should be ok la, only scared that it's too rough and easy to accumulate dirt lo.

i think HDB will come to check if it's due to your upstairs neighbour water-proofing or other reason...

i also start to have foul smell in toilets recently... :(

read from somewhere in renotalk that to prevent foul smell, the connector between WC and sewege drain hole should be sealed tight with silicone (though most plumbers don't do this). but i am not fully convinced becos:

all waste pipes from (sink, WC) are all connected to the same main sewege pipe evantually. so the smell from sewege pipe can still escape through other drain holes or through the sink... and this is precisely what is happening to me now :bangwall:

but the smell doesn't come all the time... i suspect it's when upstairs/downstairs neighbours are using the toilet... :unsure:

Yup HDB check already, say go ahead there's no leak!

Think it really depends on where the smell is coming from. I'm just worried that they can't do anything about it then I have to live with the pungent smell!? Not right leh...

New updates today!

Main door eyehole... we compromised and said its ok to install a new eyehole instead of replacing the door. (the eyehole was blocked by padlock and iron grille)

BUT... I chose the center of the door (sounds normal and logical right?) and today the installer said door too thin, cannot put there! Then they suggest put at the side, which is just near to the original hole -- probably blocked also -.-""

Now I just told them it doesn't make sense that I can't install an eyehole in the middle of a door. Find a different eyehole if its too thin...

Edited by Soichiro

Long time no post, think my reno is one of the longest running yet. lol

Just some updated pics:

Kitchen

With washing machine on the right

yes.. thats a "slide to unlock" magnet!

kitchen_cabinets.jpg

My Living Room Ceiling

With downlights switched on

living_ceiling.jpg

TV mounted!

Met several hiccups. Initially TV could not mount, added extra board behind.

No tv console yet.. can't decide.. bleh. Looking a white tv console, rounded edges, with covered glass in middle and drawers or swing doors at the sides. Anyone happen to chance upon one?

tv_wall.jpg

Room Doors

Stairs railing now painted brown. Previous owner had it painted so we can't sand it.

room_doors.jpg

Edited by Soichiro

Wardrobe

My 13.4 feet wardrobe! Changed to another carpenter this time. Will complete next week as one of the sliding doors was damaged.

wardrobe.jpg

Animation of my slide-out mirror... lol

wardrobe_mirror.gif

Toilet Cabinet

1 meter tall custom cabinet!

toilet_cabinet.jpg

My Living Room Ceiling

With downlights switched on

living_ceiling.jpg

Hi Soichiro, I heard from my ID that there would be ugly trucking to the fan if the ceiling is not high enough. The HDB guideline requires 2.4m from floor to fan blade and my ceiling is only 2.6m. :(

Saw that your ceiling doesn't have the trunking, would you be so kind and share how that was done? TIA! :yamseng:

Wardrobe

My 13.4 feet wardrobe! Changed to another carpenter this time. Will complete next week as one of the sliding doors was damaged.

wardrobe.jpg

Animation of my slide-out mirror... lol

wardrobe_mirror.gif

Toilet Cabinet

1 meter tall custom cabinet!

toilet_cabinet.jpg

Nice Big Wardrobe, and your have a very good layout for your toilet :yamseng:

Hi Soichiro, I heard from my ID that there would be ugly trucking to the fan if the ceiling is not high enough. The HDB guideline requires 2.4m from floor to fan blade and my ceiling is only 2.6m. :(

Saw that your ceiling doesn't have the trunking, would you be so kind and share how that was done? TIA! :yamseng:

Sent u pm!