Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Defelio

My Mini Mid-Century Modern Home

Hey guys,

Started this thread to digitally pen down the progess of our home which i hope it can help others in their renovation as other T-Blogs had helped alot in the choices to make and options available in the market unknown to the new birds :unsure:

Here's the floor plan of our place.

FloorPlan.jpg

Being quite lost in what we are suppose to do when we first heard that our place would be ready in April 11. I starting seraching online for renovation stuffs and found renotalk.

We prefer to do research on the themes instead of letting the designer suggesting to us as at least we knew what we don't want.

Of course the main thing was we weren't sure of the theme we would like to have and gradually found pieces of furniture that made up the theme of mid century. Well the internet had good info but local magazines got the "lobangs" that are hard to be found online which inspiration and ideas mainly came from.

photo.jpg

For ID, we went to North West and a ID(read about them from renotalk) at Yishun central near the hot/cold desert store but sadly both didn't get back to us. No point chasing ID if they aren't interested in doing our business.

I found out my ID Frevor Design through word of mouth. He came with his designer which was surprising. There are 2 reasons why we choose him. Firstly we were deeply impress that his designer was able to hand drawn 3D drawings as we were discussing on the outlook. :paint: Secondly, they were clearly more interested in the designs WE WANTED and offering us suggestion base on our lifestyles rather than talking $$$ and package.. Those ID who talk to you about those stuffs are mostly salesman.. :deal:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

After much "complain" from us that the MBR was relatively small, my ID suggested this layout.

Nicklayout.jpg

This offer us a WIW, plenty space for study but clearly sacrificing the other room which we would require it in the years to come for our baby/kid. :bangwall:

From there, I continue to explore the possible layouts using Open Office Impress equivalent Microsoft Power-point.

Not using the Common Rm 1

Layout02.png

Taking up 1 window + space to accommodate the study area.

Layout03.png

Swapping the bed area and study area as i feel don't have privacy if the bed can be seen from the corridor

Layout04.png

Some changes to the sofa as we had decided on the sofa we fell in love with :bow: This will be shown later.

Layout05.png

Being TV addicts, we would love to have a view at the TV even while having meals or in the kitchen. Problem is the cable TV outlet is on the wall beside the Common Room 2 and we find it weird to have the Sofa jutting out.

Layout06.png

Layout of the lighting points and false ceiling. There will be a L-box for the bottom of the living room, eliminating the expose trunking and covering the wires for lighting and speaker cables(No point do so much but have a trunking expose..).

Layout07.png

Some of ya may be thinking, why no living room 3D desgin? Well, we are not having any feature wall for the TV to be mounted, the furnitures will be the "point of interests" instead and we love the Sony NX710 3D LED TV.

We love the flat front screen look which blacks out when switch off and slanted off it speaker base.

Sony.jpg

Our sofa that we fell in love with!!

kagan-vladimir-1927-germany-floating-curve-sofa-model-176s-2526707.jpg

69150a2467e82c80e01a76a3a6aa1a20.jpg

8258_1296951041_1.jpg

The colour has been decided and won't be reveal till it arrives. :bleah:

The next piece is the lounge chair.

features_slide_eames_lounge_1.jpg

White is damm cool but decided against it as it will be very obvious once dirty/stain.

modern-design-chair-furniture-office.jpg

What do ya think? Black or White?? :dunno:

The TV console/side table.

We were deciding on either of this two designs.

We like the sleekness of this piece but somehow it lack the practicality of storing my Wii, xBox, cable tv set-top box and future AV receiver, PS3 or blue-ray player unless i'm gonna place it on the top which is a no-no..

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

So we decided on this and have the width shorten to accommodate being within the length of the wall.

IMG_0588.jpgSB101B-1.jpg

Lastly the coffee table, our choices must be wood and no metal as we basically love bend wood! :sport-smiley-004:

We saw this at first and found it unique.

Noguchi

IMG_0347.jpg

Can't recall the name. This support for this is sleek.

tablecoffee.jpg

Infinity and price of it is..... :jawdrop: Well if i'm printing $$$$$, i would get this. It won a design award or something.

StefanoBigisdesignworks179041_495165396595_124906691595_6753154_3986631_n.jpg

StefanoBigisdesignworks10535_140756966595_124906691595_3142606_3368275_n.jpg

Eames plytable. We decided on this for two reasons. Safety comes somewhat first of not having a glass top. Secondly the round table matches the sofa inner curvature perfectly!

Having a raised surround, we won't have items rolling off(as if we putting marbles and balls) and water won't be dripping off the side onto the carpet.

Eames_Plywood_Co_4d30109f7ecd6.jpg

Edited by Defelio

I agree!

The sofa is a beauty! So different feel.

I must say, ur mbr layout is interesting too!

Think I'm too rigid, keep feeling can't arrange much. Haa..

Awaiting more photos!

Thanks May. We hope the colour we choosed would be as lovely.

Ya the MBR was quite tight but still possible to play around with. It's easier if you have the bed cut out and shift around rather than drawing. I copied the given floorplan from my ID and used Adobe and Open Office Impress.

Hope you can use some of the ideas I had provided =) also place to check out for console are like this are Lush Lush, Harvey Norman at Milenia Walk, Motto, P5, A thousand tales, Ion, Paragon, Granfunkt Extra Living.

Don't worry Chris, more will be added.

Hi Defelio,

Love the tables but as you say, for us at least, not practical with soon to be three kids running around.

Love the look of the sofa as well but I wonder how comfy it will be after sitting on it for some time. We have a 'Zen' style sofa with a low back but are looking to change as when watching movies or TV for long periods especially after work there is nowhere to rest my upper back or head. Saying that, I am quite tall.

Seriously love the TV. Looks so cool but Sony tend to be seriously priced as well.

The lounge chair looks ideal for me. As you say, white would become a grubby stain magnet I think but the black looks very nice.

Good luck on the reno, the 3Ds look great.

RB

Hi Defelio,

your 3D looks really good! can't wait to see more of it. me and hubby will also not be having a feature wall in our living as we are planning to get NX720 55" which will be our center piece of attraction in the living room ;)