Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Defelio

My Mini Mid-Century Modern Home

Hi Defelio, here to add my 2 cents. :D

Seems like your place is using 'walnut' for the wood tones? If so, the dark cabinets may make your room a little too dark. Not sure how dark your flooring will be.

For the slanted/straight drawers, I think slanted drawers will give your place a more mid-modern feel. But for safety reasons perhaps not advisable... Not sure if it makes sense to do the slanting the other way instead? (i.e. bigger table surface, smaller drawers base)

Hi Adiaem, thank you. We saw a furniture from Grafunk that gave us the idea of having the drawers slanted but like what most had mentioned. Well with reasons like saving up space, simple and safety. We decided to have it flat.

Slanting inwards also possible which IMO also looks cool. :yamseng:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Loving your floor plan.. it's so innovative!! :yamseng: I am so excited to see my 3D drawing on this coming Friday. Hope everything turn out smoothly!! :P

LOL nice! I hope this helps, I just bought the only DNA replica from a shop in JB for like around RM$315. Balestier is selling it for around SGD$220, turning into balestier from Thomson Rd, it's the first few shops on the left. If buying from overseas, the price for DNA should cost slightly more. I can't really recall from which website. I hope you got it at a decent price if not dun think so much and enjoy the light! =)

yup i saw it at balestier... they selling the replica too... I saw the original version at air furniture parkmall for a wopping 1k... madness... but look closly you can spot the differences but not great enough to justify $800 difference...

So i ordered from www.connox.com at 188 euro... which is about $350... that i can accept hahaha... quite a good deal for me... but now praying the lights will really be delivered...

Hi Adiaem, thank you. We saw a furniture from Grafunk that gave us the idea of having the drawers slanted but like what most had mentioned. Well with reasons like saving up space, simple and safety. We decided to have it flat.

Slanting inwards also possible which IMO also looks cool. :yamseng:

Slanting inwards would also be as much a hazard as slanting outwards? Just that the hazard is now on the top of the drawer rather than the bottom?

Anyway, I *heart* that table at Grafunkt, if only it doesn't cost SO MUCH. :(

Loving your floor plan.. it's so innovative!! :yamseng: I am so excited to see my 3D drawing on this coming Friday. Hope everything turn out smoothly!! :P

Hi MeWoWa, thanks alot. Hope it helps ya. Not that i wanna pour cold water over ya but the sad truth is somethings will turn out likewise. =S I must say that it is a tiring process as we newbies on their reno journey will never expect the unexpected! lol :yamseng:

it must have cost alot to knock down the wall and build a new brick wall. i can already imagine the hefty bill.

Hi Abupapa, ok la :rolleyes:

yup i saw it at balestier... they selling the replica too... I saw the original version at air furniture parkmall for a wopping 1k... madness... but look closly you can spot the differences but not great enough to justify $800 difference...

So i ordered from www.connox.com at 188 euro... which is about $350... that i can accept hahaha... quite a good deal for me... but now praying the lights will really be delivered...

Ya i totally agree with ya. I saw connox stuffs last time while searching for my lights and they have quite alot of interesting stuffs! Take note that some website will ask ya for identification. Just to share, there is this pain in the arse website which i was trying to buy lights from 'yanko design', they wouldn't ship to vpost cos my ID doesn't match the address given.. After multiple tries and explaning to them to show them my ID/print screen of my vpost account for them to link the dots, they still refuse! ^$#&*^# It was a total waste of time dealing with them and waste of $$ due to the exchange rate when they refunded me.. I hope connox doesn't have this issue.

Slanting inwards would also be as much a hazard as slanting outwards? Just that the hazard is now on the top of the drawer rather than the bottom?

Anyway, I *heart* that table at Grafunkt, if only it doesn't cost SO MUCH. :(

Lol, You saw that study desk with the slanted drawers too!?!?!

Well, come to think of it, any edge will still be "dangerous". Be it a 90 degress edge or a 45 degress edge. It depends on how and from which angle does that part of the body strikes that edge. If one is to slip and have the person's head hit the slanted drawer(as shwon in the 3D), the person's head might just have a bump due to the flat surface of 45 degrees. It would be different if it was a regular flat drawer that has a 90 degrees edge. My newphew to be had tripped and ram his open mouth into the edge of a glass coffee table which awarded him 1 X very bad cut on his inner lips. So if it a angle surface, he might have smack his face onto it which i believe would be less painful(but still pain of course!) due to a wider surface area upon impact.

Conclusion is, put safety bumpers(Ikea) for all corner edges, cushion all edges with armaflex class 1 insulation! :dancingqueen: Jokes aside, the house is where kids will inccur most of their injuries from base on some study I had read donkey years ago. So as parents or parents to be, we would make it as safe as possible till a certain extend. Don't be totally restricted in the design of your home kay! :good:

very interesting furnishing you are getting!

Waiting to see when its all up! :)

Hi Footprint, thank you thank you. =)

Hi there! Love the furnishings that you've singled out. I think your space is going to look absolutely fab.

Subscribed!

Hi JumpStreet! Thank you very much. I see that we have similar taste and would you believe it if I was to say some of the stuffs you had chosen are the same and some was also in my list to get!! :yamseng:

Lol, You saw that study desk with the slanted drawers too!?!?!

Well, come to think of it, any edge will still be "dangerous". Be it a 90 degress edge or a 45 degress edge. It depends on how and from which angle does that part of the body strikes that edge. If one is to slip and have the person's head hit the slanted drawer(as shwon in the 3D), the person's head might just have a bump due to the flat surface of 45 degrees. It would be different if it was a regular flat drawer that has a 90 degrees edge. My newphew to be had tripped and ram his open mouth into the edge of a glass coffee table which awarded him 1 X very bad cut on his inner lips. So if it a angle surface, he might have smack his face onto it which i believe would be less painful(but still pain of course!) due to a wider surface area upon impact.

Conclusion is, put safety bumpers(Ikea) for all corner edges, cushion all edges with armaflex class 1 insulation! :dancingqueen: Jokes aside, the house is where kids will inccur most of their injuries from base on some study I had read donkey years ago. So as parents or parents to be, we would make it as safe as possible till a certain extend. Don't be totally restricted in the design of your home kay! :good:

LOL. Then you can go for round drawers. Round edges. May be the safest! Which is totally not mid-modern century! LOL.

We, being an indecisive couple is painful to the pocket!! We have been changing this and that for tons of stuffs which I couldn't list them all out here. But still I would like to highlight certain points which would help those reading this, that it is essential for you to stop browsing websites(less RenoTalk) and magazines on renovation after you have pen down your ideas/plans!!

As such the below was written with blood $$$.

We, members of the indecisive couple, do solemnly and sincerely pledge that, we will bear true faith and allegiance to our wallets in our pockets(and bags). We will always support our bank account. We will not change anymore plans for our renovation and protect our wallets with our lives!

Time do some update (finally!) as it has been quite stagnant for the past weeks..

MBR with the lighting partially installed. The double powerpoint will be shifted as we choosed to have more wardrobe space. 2m of desk desk space for both of us but I just remember something last night, my TV stand might not have space to put (if you have notice that is something on the top left corner of the floor plan just below the middle window).. MY ID will chop my head if i said need more desk space instead. I guess we will have to take up 80cm of desk space each, leaving 40cm for the diagonal TV stand.

Lighting-Switch11.jpg

Lighting-Switch10.jpg

The compressed room with my DIY lamp. Looks familiar right? Any guesses? :notti:

Lighting-Switch4.jpg

Edited by Defelio