Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
matrix0405

Security For Glass Sliding Door For Landed

I presume your question on "safer" here is in relation to the glass not hurting people, as opposed to safe from break-in?

Tempered glass won't break into sharp pieces. If you compare with normal glass with a heat rejection film, I suppose the question is how strong the film is. Because the normal glass is going to break into sharp pieces, then its left to the film to hold the sharp pieces in without the glass cutting through it (do you need to put the film on both sides?). Then, in the aftermath, when you are clearing up, you need to be more careful because you are still dealing with sharp glass pieces, unlike tempered glass.

If you are talking about being safer from break-ins, consider laminated glass then.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I was referring to break in. So window film would be harder to break thru than tampered glass? Also would normal glass + window film be cheaper than tampered glass?

I was referring to break in. So window film would be harder to break thru than tampered glass? Also would normal glass + window film be cheaper than tampered glass?

If one wants to break in, 3-feet cement wall with steel plate in between still can be broken. Window film needs just a blade.... When panel glass with film breaks create very much less sound = invite ppls to break in.

Normal glass after heat treatment = tampered glass. Glass is relatively cheap than handling cost.

Sometimes i think security systems are good for checking on maids...imagine Letitia bringing her banagala bf back home or that Letitia climb out of the window and over the fence to go geylang freelance coz that's what happened to us until Mata sent Letitia back home and boy she looks totally different from the Letitia in the day. Best of all, Ah Ma's still in her dreamland totally not knowing what happened until next morning "Why Letitia not in huh?"

Film harder to break through than tempered glass? The short answer is -- depends on the film.

You need to be clear first about the characteristic of the different types of glass and film. I'm no expert; this is just my own understanding:

Normal glass - breaks into big sharp pieces; danger of being cut by the broken pieces.

Tempered glass - breaks into many small pieces; much blunter; reduces the danger of cuts; not much harder to break through than normal glass.

Laminated glass - "laminate" simply means layers. So there are different types.

The most basic one is 2 layers of glass with a layer of PVB (polyvinyl butyral) resin in between. When hit, the glass shatters but is held in place by the PVB layer. Hit it a bit more and you will punch through the glass. So like tempered glass, the objective here is more accident safety, and not security.

For security, you need to get those laminated glass with sandwiched layers of resin and/or film applied on the surface, which are specially made for security - ie, prevent breaking through. Cost? Sorry, dunno, you have to go ask.

For security purpose, please don't rely on tempered glass or film designed just for heat rejection or accident safety. You should look at the security films and security laminated glass, and do your cost comparison there.

I think what u were referring to is a chim process where they sandwich a layer of plastic between 2 glass. This type of glass panel is uncommon and surely more expensive. What I was referring to is just normal glass and stick heat rejection window film (plastic sheet) on it. This plastic sheet has special properties to reject heat.

Actually, the basic laminated glass sheet which has 2 layers of glass and a layer of PVB in between is fairly common. Nowadays, I see many people with balconies and roof-top terraces using glass barrier instead of metal railing to give that "open" feeling. All these should be laminated glass.

If you are just referring to heat rejection window film, like I posted previously, I wouldn't count on it for security purpose.

For security purpose, if you want to prevent entry, you will need "security" grade glass. If you want to detect and scare off, then you need to install an alarm system.

Edited by watchthewaves

i got a quotation from this security company to install security system cost about 4k. Is this consider expensive? Then the guy said if no security system, insurance will quote me more expensive? True ah?

i mean i've been staying in landed all my life, never encountered break in before, choy choy choy touch wood, but maybe my houses are all very old and very super lok?

The only reason why i'm thinking of installing security system is becoz i overhaul the entire place so it now looks 10x better than the row of old neighbors and becoz still under renovation, i can easily conceal the wires instead of having them exposed?

QUestion : Is it worth to do security? Would dogs (sheepdogs) suffice?

Hi pantieileen,

Care to share the contacts of your security company?

Thanks! :)

My security system is about $4k-5k. My reason for installing it is for peace of mind, especially in the night. To save cost, I did away with intercom cos our house is not big so can easily walk to main door, look and open gate if necessary.

Hi twothumbs,

If I would install the system few months after I move in, would it require any hacking works? Or it should be done during the renovation ?

Thanks

i think i'm going to wire my whole house for security soon liao quite scary.

Maid clean the rooms upstairs, auto gate lock but front folding doors and backyard door are open for ventilation. MIL put my 3 sheepdogs upstairs in aircon. I ever came home and no one knew.

So ya, starting to get fresh quotes coz those quotes i have were from beginning of the year.

Intending to install camera at the front porch, camera in the living room hidden in the ceiling lights (monitor the maid see if she hit my dogs), sensor in the front folding doors and every window and and doors on the ground floor and second floor where humans can literally climb in. technically no one in the right mind would but since the aircon man is able to stand on the glass roof to service the condenser on the 2nd floor, thieves or maid's secret bf could also stand there. Attic floor only for balcony sliding door.

Anyone wants a copy can just PM me, happy to share.

So far, i got from Certis Cisco (most ex!!), Aetos (coz sometimes i use their security services), Q-serve (builder recommended)

Maid clean the rooms upstairs, auto gate lock but front folding doors and backyard door are open for ventilation. MIL put my 3 sheepdogs upstairs in aircon. I ever came home and no one knew.

So far, i got from Certis Cisco (most ex!!), Aetos (coz sometimes i use their security services), Q-serve (builder recommended)

Security in this case can work? You need still need to close all doors (= no ventilation) before arm security system, right?

So ya, starting to get fresh quotes coz those quotes i have were from beginning of the year.

Intending to install camera at the front porch, camera in the living room hidden in the ceiling lights (monitor the maid see if she hit my dogs), sensor in the front folding doors and every window and and doors on the ground floor and second floor where humans can literally climb in. technically no one in the right mind would but since the aircon man is able to stand on the glass roof to service the condenser on the 2nd floor, thieves or maid's secret bf could also stand there. Attic floor only for balcony sliding door.

Hi can share yr quotes for security alarm pls?

Security in this case can work? You need still need to close all doors (= no ventilation) before arm security system, right?

Ya so i'm installing those insect blinds with little holes that you install inside and then outside would be the door. Don't know what you call them here but those we use in USA and you could leave the windows up while there's still some breeze.

Hi pantieileen!

Can you please send me the quotes you got from the various security companies? Thank you in advance!

Hi

I ever saw a very beautiful terrace house with full length glass panel doors. The owner travels a lot and uses part time maid becos most of the time, no one is in.

What he did was to install a mechanised grill inside the glass panel and when he is not around, he will activate it and re-inforce the glass panel. So you can break the glass but you still cannot get it.

Maybe mechanised grill is a bit way too much to consider but maybe a protective grill may be suitable.

Hope this help.