Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
si_pitung

The Utilitarian Reno.

Hi, Odie. Thanks for visiting. We're settling in...everything's unpacked and in place now, except for the study table...a little messy there. !! Unfinished stuff - the window catches and curtains.

First meal - chicken stew - cooked yesterday evening :D. Yep, the Rinnai hood works great - the floor was not oily at all. :P The Rinnai hob's good as well; don't have to transfer the pot from bigger burner to a smaller one. Just adjust the flame.

Yah, everyone loves the space; the boys love the stairs from Day 1 and so settled in very quickly. A great relief 'cos some children don't take to moving and might feel insecure from the big change. zz

The location is great - there are at least 10 coffee shops within walking distance...at least 4 to 5 stalls with U-channel/ makansukra recommendations. And, the amazing thing is that the people are so friendly here. Twice, the foodstore seller from different coffee shops came and talk with us. People are generally very kids friendly here. zz We feel very welcomed.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

About the window and sliding door catches...

The sliding door catch fits but the door frame is a little too wide for the key mechanism to work...anyway, as pointed out by my hubby it didn't make sense to buy one with a key mechanism 'cos nobody enters from the balcony. Sigh...should have bought the cheaper one without any keys.

The crescent window catch can screwed on easily but we have problems with the other part 'cos of the different hole sizes but hubby claims that it can be solved by buying the right sized screw and threading the holes.

Sigh...not so easy to thread the holes...bought the wrong size threader from shop far away; hardly made a dent...now we've to go back and change the threader and the screws. ;) Think maybe it's better to pay the window contractor $40 for labour and $5 for the catch in the first place...

Exchanged the threader for the right size and threaded the catch. Then, we found out that the screw was too long. So, we shortened the screw and screwed it on. Then, we found that we can only put one screw 'cos the holes were not exactly aligned. Finally, we threw in the towel and called the window contractor for a Saturday appointment. When told of our window catch woes, the contractor promised to try to look for a suitable catch for our 21 year old windows. Sigh... :P

No problem for the sliding door catches...easily found in most hardware store and easily installed by hubby in less than 5 minutes. I got one more without the keyhole from another shop along Jalan Besar for just $5. :P

Guys from system aluminium works came and changed all window catches. Said he combed 6 hardware stores before he finally found suitable sized window catches. Sometimes it's nice to have someone in the know to do the legwork.

Latest purchases :jawdrop:

p1000203ls3.th.jpg

Tupperware stuff :notti:: Bread server container on 12.5kg rice dispenser with 2 litre pitcher and 2 litre water bottle at the side. :)

p1000202wc2.th.jpg

2 plastic laundry bins with flap lids from Ikea for light coloured and dark coloured clothes. Handles for easy carrying. :P

Edited by Homeowner

Which did you get, Xinyi reiko? The one that hangs on the wall? Hubby prefers this plastic one that keeps its shape.

Hi Oonik grl, are u getting one for yourself? My kids love to dispense the rice. Was really lucky to get it at a discount.

Hi Oonik grl, are u getting one for yourself? My kids love to dispense the rice. Was really lucky to get it at a discount.

my mum will give it to us ! hehe ! she bought one for my sis and bro-in-law when they got their house so she will buy one for us as well. :unsure: yeaaaa ! free stufffff ! haha ! :D

Edited by oonik grl

Wow, good for you!:thumbs up: The original price is $145...I considered myself very lucky to stumble into a Tupperware moving out sale and got it for $90. Last piece...after me, the distributor had a lot of enquiries from other customers but no more! It's really nice and easy to use.

Edited by Homeowner

That's $7.90, right? I was very tempted to get that too 'cos they were light, flat packed and easy to carry and I was shopping alone with my toddler. But, hubby preferred something more structured.

very nice plc u have!! lurve the kitchen very homey feeling... :)

eh ur budget is same as mine but i wan more things leh.. looks like the budget i set is too low like wad some have already said... *sigh* looks like have to DIY a lot of things le n slowly slowly buy... oh well..