Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
si_pitung

The Utilitarian Reno.

I got my stainless steel dish rack at $28!:bangwall::dancingqueen: Yep, contractor's catalogue!! :bow:

No, I'm not changing most wiring...they seem to be in good condition. Only the kitchen ones 'cos I changed the layout...even then, I think I'll probably re-use the old wires. Should be okay, lah...my parents' house 40 years old still using the same old wiring. :good:

Hi homeowner, where did you get the stainless dish rack? Share share pls!:D I want to buy & Sungei Kadut very near my place!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
wah...what actually happens ?

1. They mismeasured and drilled four extra holes in my bedroom wall. The other side is a red brick wall.

th_22054_P1000077a_122_47lo.jpg

Rectification done today, with WHITE cement.

2. There's a beam that runs across the boys' bedroom to the toilet wall. The sales manager forgot to inform the installers that we wanted to do a pelmet across the beam and the installers extended the casing perpendicularly out of the beam ('cos didn't drill diagonally as instructed) and also ran the casing in line with the beam. Corrected immediately yesterday after I highlighted the mistake.

3. They drilled very big holes...the contractor was shocked, said that the company he uses normally drill very carefully a little circle and pull the trunking through. The sales manager said today that they purposely drill very big holes so that the insulation will not be damaged when they put the trunking through. :P Walls and corners restored to satisfaction today with white cement. To their credit, at least they didn't damage the bathroom tiles and they worked overtime today to mend the holes, plaster all gaps in the casing and so that the casing blends in with the wall...

4. We had a marble table set at the balcony, the sellers' gift. The installers made an effort to contain debris from drilling using a styroform box, but still some pieces flew off...I had to put a cardboard box cover to protect the marble table set. When I highlighted to them that debris were falling...they said that they're already careful. :notti:

But, what really took the cake is this:

th_22059_P1000075a_122_193lo.jpg

Have you ever seen aircon casing right in the middle like that? That's when I blew up and insisted that they redo. They redid today so now the casing lies very nicely at the side next to the wall. Should have taken a picture of the after today 'cos it's very nicely done...will post it another day ('cos must be fair to the installers).

I never knew that the stainless steel brackets had to be drilled through to the bedroom wall...so ugly...what to do? A 21 year old flat has no air-con ledge. :P

Edited by Homeowner

ya...20 yrs must change.

even if there are no worries for fire hazards, think of your MONTHLY electrical bills.

GMC speaks from his dunno how many times of house moving experience... :P

7 or 8 huh?

The electrician agreed don't need to rewire the whole flat 'cos the wires are protected by casing. Said "don't waste money". :notti: We just changed the sockets and switch boxes. New wiring for kitchen 'cos we changed the layout. But, we don't have fancy ambience lights and PLCs and we have to use back the same positions for all lighting points, give and take an inch or two. And, there a few out of date wiring e.g. antenna wire for TV, telephone wires in every room (before the avent of the wireless phone) that we asked the electrician to remove. For sockets at eye level, the electrician extended the wiring with connectors and put them lower. BTW, thank you, GMC, for your recommendation. I'm very pleased with your electrician. My electrical bill is <$900. :P My take on the rewiring issue: rewire if you want to change the layout of your lights. Don't rewire if you are happy to stick with the old lights layout.

Edited by Homeowner

Hi homeowner, where did you get the stainless dish rack? Share share pls!:notti: I want to buy & Sungei Kadut very near my place!

TAG hardware trading pte ltd, 18 Kranji Road, Tel: 6269 8831. The code for the 3 piece stainless steel rack is S304, p22 of catalogue. Three sizes: 560mm, 760mm ($28) and 860mm ($45). Was looking at it today, the tray I got is black plastic though. The catalogue picture shows a stainless steel tray with black plastic sides. :P Since it is significantly cheaper, I don't mind.

Besides the electricians and the air-con guys, the third group of people present on Monday were the wardrobe guys from Seng Kwong. And, I must say that I am very pleased with the plastered gypsum board walls that they did up, plastered and painted...very, very nice and very professional. No pictures 'cos you have to be there to see how smooth and nicely painted the walls are.

But, gosh, it's really no easy task co-ordinating the various groups when you have a family to juggle as well. Dunno how you managed to find the time, GMC.

The electrician agreed don't need to rewire the whole flat 'cos the wires are protected by casing. Said "don't waste money". :notti: We just changed the sockets and switch boxes. New wiring for kitchen 'cos we changed the layout. Don't rewire if you are happy to stick with the old lights layout.

Should be ok.... i'm not rewiring whole house too. only the kitchen and toilets. My parents' old house was 26 yrs old. Didnt rewire since day 1 but didnt face any problem.

Cost savings is one thing. Anyway, my wirings r hidden in the cornice... to rewire, i have to redo all the cornices.

I had the same issue as you.

Understand that u chose McQuay in the end.

I called up the authorised dealers. Found out they no longer carry that brand. That's why the 3rd guy recommended me Daikin. H/e, i dont hear v good reviews on Daikin these days. Used to be v good. Now cost came down a lot cos it's made in Thailand. I remembered paying $4.9k for my system 4 in 2000. Now system 4 costs only $2.6k.

But, gosh, it's really no easy task co-ordinating the various groups when you have a family to juggle as well. Dunno how you managed to find the time, GMC.

That's true... really pei fu you guys. My hub will be v busy preparing for his exams during the time we r doing the reno... he says to leave everything to me!! oh boy! stressed. think better idea to get one contractor to do all. Else, like u said, it's not an easy task to coordinate the various gps! went searching for reno companies during the weekend. My quotes range around $20k for 2 toilets, kitchen and painting and laminate flooring for rooms. Reasonable? Gave me a bit of hope that my budget of $30k all in can be achieved.

Seems quite okay 'cos mine is abt $21k for kitchen and 3 toilets. But, I may have slightly more carpentry than yours. Have you checked your kitchen layout for the exact length of cabinets you need? Nippon paint had $1500 package promotion for Exec. Dunno whether promo. still on. GMC was saying that all the contractors he worked with mixed paint...and he moved 8 times. So...

We're prob. using my FIL's co.'s daily rated workers and buying the paint ourselves. We're leaving the old ceramic tiles for the bedrooms and stairs. The sellers have good taste...the tiles are bearable and I really like the stairs tiles and living/ dining rooms marble flooring.

But, do check their reference carefully for a stress free reno, e.g. how is their workmanship, do they deliver on time, any hidden costs...

Give you an example, my contractor has trustworthy workers. I go on site, I discuss any uncertain areas, I see their work, I feel very assured. They take pride in their work. So, I spent very little time on site (once or twice a week for one or two hours) and trust them to do their work nicely. Stress-free reno, very smooth...maybe after moving in, we may be more observant of any defects, but so far there is no rectification required.

The other group ignored instructions, nice or not doesn't matter, slapstick workmanship...aiyoh, you feel upset, worried, angry...have to source for last minute babysitters so that you can be on site to make sure they do rectify properly...have to be mean and bitchy (makes you feel really very lousy in the process)...think the few hundred saved is not worth it.

My total cost has climbied up to $33k 'cos we succumbed to nice wardrobes ($3k for 1+ wardrobes) and doors (sliding kitchen + 2 toilet doors+sand & repaint main door $900).

Lights at the kitchen area from Nan Wah.

"Sunburst" light at all three toilets, the frosted glass has a sort of spiral design, silver base... Really like this a lot.

th_96058_P1000078a_122_218lo.jpg

Light over the laundry area. Unbreakable plastic cover in case my bamboo pole accidentally hits the light.

th_96062_P1000079a_122_210lo.jpg

Utilitarian kitchen light...paiseh, the ceiling not yet painted when this picture is taken.

th_96067_P1000080a_122_111lo.jpg

TAG hardware trading pte ltd, 18 Kranji Road, Tel: 6269 8831. The code for the 3 piece stainless steel rack is S304, p22 of catalogue. Three sizes: 560mm, 760mm ($28) and 860mm ($45). Was looking at it today, the tray I got is black plastic though. The catalogue picture shows a stainless steel tray with black plastic sides. :P Since it is significantly cheaper, I don't mind.

Hi homeowner, thanks for the info! So can we walk in there & do they open on sat or sun? They sell other things as well?

I didn't go to the shop.

I just called to find out the prices and got the contractor buy for me 'cos they offer the same price regardless of buyer so might as well let the contractor order direct. They do sell other kitchen stuff but these are chrome-plated. I got my drawer liners and powder coated steel carousal from Ikea instead. Cheaper. The catalogue also features other contractor stuff e.g. handles, hinges, ventilation caps, door knobs, pants hangers, etc. Very interesting to look at but not sure whether these are useful to the average homeowner.

Paiseh...blog, blog, blog and no picture... The contractor lent me his catalogue.

Here's the picture of the stainless steel dish rack on the catalogue. You can see it has three parts: one for the dishes, one for the bowls, etc. and tray to collect water. The one I got has a black plastic tray instead of a part stainless steel one like the picture.

th_49851_P1000081_122_596lo.jpg

Edited by Homeowner