Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Think 15A only maximum 2 from the mains of my hdb. Want to pull more also dont have.

By the way would the paint last with constant handling? Since u will be using it for knobs and handles there is frequent "rubbing".

Depends on what kind you buy.

Rustoleum has a Universal range that's designed for furniture and thus very durable.

The lady in the link has sprayed bar stools for a year and suffered no rub offs.

That said, spray paints go from $3.50 to $30 (universal range) so you get what you pay for!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Any thoughts to do top cabinet on this side as well for more storage.

If you like to cook, the storage will come in handy in the long run.

Also then you can do a "tower" unit to house the oven. I prefer the oven at waist level, easy for inspection when baking as well as usage.

In the tower, you can also house a mircowave too, will reduce taking up your table kitchen top space for food preparation.

242y2ix.jpg

Any thoughts to do top cabinet on this side as well for more storage.

If you like to cook, the storage will come in handy in the long run.

Also then you can do a "tower" unit to house the oven. I prefer the oven at waist level, easy for inspection when baking as well as usage.

In the tower, you can also house a mircowave too, will reduce taking up your table kitchen top space for food preparation.

Hey! Thanks for the suggestions.

There will be open shelving on this side as well. I personally don't like the full height cabinets though they have been suggested to me, and I don't like a cluttered home... My idea was to have as much open shelving and an airy feel as possible, and we are pretty minimalistic people (at least for the past 7 years) in terms of owning things.

So that's why the other side looks so bare! Haha! The shelves will be store bought instead of custom made like the other side, as my contractor suggests, so that's why it's not in the "technical" drawing for the carpenter. :)

QUESTION GUYS:

Are your homes your likely "forever homes"? Means this house you're renovating right now, is it likely that you won't move again?

I am balancing spending the money on it and then upgrading. We got this house with the intention to upgrade or uproot ourselves 5 years later... But right now after spending quite a bit on it, I don't know what to think about leaving behind this place.

For you guys who've had the 2nd, and thus forever home, how did you feel about leaving that first one behind and did you spend on it as well?

Suddenly feeling odd about what we're putting into this place, but it has to be home for at least the next 5 years... :dunno:

Just to share a thought on this. First, ask yourself, do you want a home or a house.

A house is where you go back to rest, freshened up and leave the next day and the cycle repeats. With the very intentions of moving out after MOP and as an investment, pinning the price to rise and hopefully make a killing from it for a greener pasture. If this is the case, bare minimum to be done and in an acceptable liveable condition.

However, if you want a home, then it will be a spare no expense (within budget and affordable range). Build it to your liking, with little touches, make it into a place that you yearn to go back to after a hard day’s work. A place like your own sanctuary, where your mind and body can rest, leaving all the burdens and troubles outside the 4 walls.

Just to share a thought on this. First, ask yourself, do you want a home or a house.

A house is where you go back to rest, freshened up and leave the next day and the cycle repeats. With the very intentions of moving out after MOP and as an investment, pinning the price to rise and hopefully make a killing from it for a greener pasture. If this is the case, bare minimum to be done and in an acceptable liveable condition.

However, if you want a home, then it will be a spare no expense (within budget and affordable range). Build it to your liking, with little touches, make it into a place that you yearn to go back to after a hard day’s work. A place like your own sanctuary, where your mind and body can rest, leaving all the burdens and troubles outside the 4 walls.

Yep, we established that we wanted it to feel like a home regardless of how long we'll stay in it! But the practical, businessy side of me comes out and wants to balance the check books. I guess there's virtue in both angles.

I think we balanced it pretty well as of now; i.e. bathtub but no custom carpentry in the rooms; custom-made cabinets but no Caesar/Silestone... So I guess I just have to trudge on. Hopefully it will feel like a home... And as I work from home, hopefully my home office will feel great and the rest of the house a sanctuary like you mentioned. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Turns out, the gas heater needs a clearance of 1 feet on all sides... So they are coming down to alter it for me next Wednesday. Dang irresponsible workers! :curse:

Heartpain cus (1) more drill holes in my brand new house!!! and (2) will have more exposed copper piping and (3) need to go measure how it'll affect my washer/dryer and my drying rack that HDB provided.

Perhaps this is why most people go for storage heaters. DANGNABBIT. But ah well, as long as there is a solution! 8|

Hey babe! Can u share the TB link for the ceiling medallion you hv gotten? For the longest time, I just can't find the right Google-translated chinese word to search for it!! Thanks lots!

And good choice on the peep-hole cam! I got one that video records as well. Perfect and one of the items which our guests wow & ooooh about *hehe*.

And trust me, the guests all know where to ring the bell. Perhaps becoz my video recording one has a blue light with a door bell icon which lids up once auto sensor is turned on!

Anw, nice work on ur 3-room so far! I'm still camping ard to see ur final turnout out! Cool furniture pieces!

TAOBAO SHOPPING (MORE!):

Ceiling Medallion

I finally caved and got a ceiling medallion! Asked my contractor and he said he would be able to install it for me. So I'm a happy girl! This cost like $20+ so no big loss even if it doesn't turn out that nice. Just more accents for my living room!

TB2.PSXapXXXXXWXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!644197658.

Philips LED Light Strip

Edmund encouraged me to have countertop lighting, so I ordered 5m of Philips lights from TB! More than half off Singapore, as per my dad's "research" when he went to Mustafa. So I reckon I got a good deal!

TB28xk1XVXXXXbPXXXXXXXXXXXX-748390603.jp

Digital Peephole Viewer

For safety purposes. All-in-one CCTV / Doorbell / Peephole solution. Though we will buy another doorbell for the one that's connected outside, because I don't think anyone would think to press the doorbell through the gate.

TB2quNGdVXXXXbiXXXXXXXXXXXX-799565881.jp

Also got some HEPA Filters for my Panasonic air purifier, since it's light and I can ship it together, and some bicycle digit locks for my dad (they were on SUPER sale). A last shipment of decorative elements and carpets for the entire home to come later since my renovation is delayed, so I will order that later in October.

Hey babe! Can u share the TB link for the ceiling medallion you hv gotten? For the longest time, I just can't find the right Google-translated chinese word to search for it!! Thanks lots!

And good choice on the peep-hole cam! I got one that video records as well. Perfect and one of the items which our guests wow & ooooh about *hehe*.

And trust me, the guests all know where to ring the bell. Perhaps becoz my video recording one has a blue light with a door bell icon which lids up once auto sensor is turned on!

Anw, nice work on ur 3-room so far! I'm still camping ard to see ur final turnout out! Cool furniture pieces!

That's nice to hear about the bell! Haha I'm excited to see how it turns out too. I just bought a fireplace today. :P

You can search (on Taobao? , not TMall) 灯池 欧式灯池 灯盘 all can find a variety

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36247884817&spm=2014.12193480.0.0

That said, the quoted price for installing it on the ceiling with a light / fan was $120. So just FYI. The medallion itself not too ex. :)

Finally caved and bought a faux fireplace. Complete with LED fire. Haha! Actually wanted to give up on this and get a console table, but think I would lose even more of my "London" charm.

That said, didn't get a design that I really really wanted cus of the size (didn't want it to be too tall, so the 1.2m and 1.5m are out, so ended up with this.

Can't wait to decorate the mantel!

9kql9u.jpg

The fireplace is a very unique and cool idea, I think it will go well with the theme.

That might be the first fireplace i see in Singapore HDB.

Your house will be full of character and charm. 👍 oppss watch too much HGtv.

Lol

Edited by Ahyong81

The fireplace is a very unique and cool idea, I think it will go well with the theme.

Thanks! :) I hope so. I don't wanna try too hard but still wanna make the theme pop. Hopefully this will work!