Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sumobear

Love Odyssey

Hey! Congrats on the start of your reno; pleased to meet a very brave couple! All the best! !!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all the best... very brave of you to undertake such a big task but with the right contractor, i'm sure you will get it done and enjoy the journey... you will also need to soend more time on coordination as well.. I did it for my first house but now too lazy to do so... third time reno... have fun.. :sport-smiley-018:

Wah...how u plan ur powerpt ard? Advise a bit leh ..:sport-smiley-018:

Hi...

Before the process of plotting of lighting points, you have to understand the nature of your home like what is function of each room or space and the characteristic of different lightings. After that you have to find the appropriate kind lighting to suit the function of the room or space to give you the ideal lighting effect that you want to achieve. If lighting point is affected by furniture, then you will need the furniture specification and decide the location of the placement before you can plot the ideal lighting position. An example will a hanging light above the dining table.

Hi all the best... very brave of you to undertake such a big task but with the right contractor, i'm sure you will get it done and enjoy the journey... you will also need to soend more time on coordination as well.. I did it for my first house but now too lazy to do so... third time reno... have fun.. :sport-smiley-018:

Hi Ben,

Yes I do agree with you on the time coordination but I think it is worthwhile because the lesser the level of people involved means lesser level of mark-up pricing....everyone want a piece of the pie. Imagine the ID marking up the contractor's price, contractor marking up sub contractors, then the contractors mark up material cost. It is a chain reaction on price marking up. So I am not keen in giving an extra share of my hard earned money to an extra party.

This is the second home that I am doing, and so far so good because I find it a thrill and fun to do up your own home. Anyway I am not doing very major design to my skeleton home, it will be as plain as a cube but I will doll up the place with furnitures and accessories.

So far so good...everything is going smoothly and I feel good with this home. I can feel the chemistry with this home when I was looking for a home.

reno_walls.jpg

A sneak preview of the walls...we will be using a pastel range of colors for our home. We fell in love with our plastered wall, so smooth and the raw cement is cool.

Hi Ben,

Yes I do agree with you on the time coordination but I think it is worthwhile because the lesser the level of people involved means lesser level of mark-up pricing....everyone want a piece of the pie. Imagine the ID marking up the contractor's price, contractor marking up sub contractors, then the contractors mark up material cost. It is a chain reaction on price marking up. So I am not keen in giving an extra share of my hard earned money to an extra party.

This is the second home that I am doing, and so far so good because I find it a thrill and fun to do up your own home. Anyway I am not doing very major design to my skeleton home, it will be as plain as a cube but I will doll up the place with furnitures and accessories.

So far so good...everything is going smoothly and I feel good with this home. I can feel the chemistry with this home when I was looking for a home.

Hi sumobear... very true..must have the feel with the house.. can see that you r very committed..true also about the profit sharing but not with homeowner.. for my 1st house..did everything from looking for main supplier, cornice contractor, grill contractor, electrician, even buying my tiles direct from the factory..and all the coordination between each parties.. very siong but light on $$.. now older and not so much energy.. need to let them make some $ as well.. better for the economy.. :(

wow sumo. really excited to see your home completion photos. quite unique to use pastel coloured tile walls. :( great idea and looks nice too!

Hi sumobear... very true..must have the feel with the house.. can see that you r very committed..true also about the profit sharing but not with homeowner.. for my 1st house..did everything from looking for main supplier, cornice contractor, grill contractor, electrician, even buying my tiles direct from the factory..and all the coordination between each parties.. very siong but light on $$.. now older and not so much energy.. need to let them make some $ as well.. better for the economy.. :sport-smiley-004:

Hi again...

True to say that we must be willing to spend in order to make the world continue turning. But as a home owner, I have to secure as many items as possible within a budget and anyway the contractor will also give you some buffer at the final payment. I am not as detailed as you and so far I have only approached a grill contractor.

wow sumo. really excited to see your home completion photos. quite unique to use pastel coloured tile walls. !! great idea and looks nice too!

Haha thanks for the compliment...many people think that my colour choice is kind of strange as they are not the fashionable colours. Anyway I think that is no such thing as a bad colour but only bad colour coordination. As for now i am just keeping my finger crossed and hope that everything will move on smoothly. I chose the colours with my guts feeling :sport-smiley-004:

interesting choice of colours! i like the yellow tiles! :unsure:

Hi Joy,

Come to think of it, the kitchen setting was inspired by a children craft magazine by Martha Steward. I visualised my kitchen as a "Happy Kitchen". Generally my home colours will be the pastel range and I will create a contrast with bold colour accessories or furnitures.

You have a great home! Browsed through your blog and realised that we have alot of things in common like the passion of fabrics and doing craftworks. I am planning to DIY some stuffs for my home...like converting a retro chair to a side table, canvas murals, lamp shades and table lamp.

Wow...lots of DIY stuff in the pipeline...can't wait to see the pictures! :D

Think your yellow kitchen is very bright and cheery too. :D The French impressionist artist, Monet, also had a very cheerful yellow kitchen with Japanese prints on the walls. Think yellow (and orange) is also a good colour for kitchen - supposed to whet your appetitie. Me - no guts for yellow...going for the conventional white instead. :P

Mine's a 20+ flat as well...but think we're keeping most of the electrical wiring; just need to restore the wiring in the affected parts. Fortunately, for us the seller was a part electrician and so the wiring was quite nicely, albeit simply (ie. no downlights and ambience lights) done up. :wub:

Good luck and hope you save lots! :unsure:

Wow...lots of DIY stuff in the pipeline...can't wait to see the pictures! :D

Think your yellow kitchen is very bright and cheery too. :D The French impressionist artist, Monet, also had a very cheerful yellow kitchen with Japanese prints on the walls. Think yellow (and orange) is also a good colour for kitchen - supposed to whet your appetitie. Me - no guts for yellow...going for the conventional white instead. :P

Mine's a 20+ flat as well...but think we're keeping most of the electrical wiring; just need to restore the wiring in the affected parts. Fortunately, for us the seller was a part electrician and so the wiring was quite nicely, albeit simply (ie. no downlights and ambience lights) done up. :wub:

Good luck and hope you save lots! :unsure:

Hihi...

Haha....I have bright citrus orange wall tiles for one of the walls in my current home's kitchen and the rest are white including my floor, it makes me feel good and freshing whenever I walk in.

My current home is renovated 6 years ago when people are not so daring with the usage of bold colours or the most used as a decorative strip on the wall. There was a shortage of tiles when making the order from the supplier...need alot of orange tiles for the big wall.

Speaking of lighting...I am just laying a few track lights around the house. My electrician questioned me "Thats all for the light in your house?!?!" and I replied "Haha...yah...why? Cannot Huh?" He gave me a very puzzled look. Anyway lightings is never neccessary to be on the ceiling because you can always have foor lights or table lights to lit up the space and to create the ambience. So far in my whole house...I only have white light in storeroom.

Edited by sumobear