Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MaCe

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog

NEVER buy downlights that comes with ballast, cos when if the ballast chaotar - it will be very troublesome to replace it. Buy only those downlights that lets you screw in a energy saving bulb.

Lilian: Mace, huh? Don't buy downlight with Ballast? Tot the posting that I read in your T-blog is must buy got ballast one?

Qns1 = yupz

Qns2 = up to you

Qns3 = i am refering to my downlight, the stainless steel halogen lamp i only paid $20 at kelantan road

pic of my $20 halogen lamp

halo3.jpg

Qns 1: Answered, thanks!

Qns 2: Will CC be cheaper than Kelantan Road?

Qns 3: Thanks for your picture!

Qns 4: Read from your earlier post that buy single downlight will do is it?

Qns 5: The colour of the downlight buy warm white or matt white? Any advice?

The downlights I got quoted from one of the shops in Balestier loh. Then he keep on saying that the downlight frame is aluminium (better than Metal) and the it's Atco Ballst loh...13W double...blah blah...

Another light shop quoted slightly cheaper about $31 with GST but with 18W double (got Atco Ballst and aluminium too). The description from my quotation is

MTZ 4504 218W

W/REMOTE BALLAST

4504 PLC 2x18W FWH DL

165x165mm cutting hole: 145x145mm

flat frosted glass w/GLD balla

matt white

So likely not getting from that shop too. Cos the measurement is biggter than the normal one. My T5 4ft is Compact Fixture 1194x27x45mm (w/prismatic diffuser), was charged $38 loh. Consider expensive ar?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
wow sweet

always loved maisonettes

from your calculation, if 3k is parquet, then wat is the area of the stairs

or do they charge by per step?

yup....they do charge by per step.

the reason for higher cost is that - too much labour is needed + precise cutting. quite hectic.

hmm....donno the area though. although stated in my floorplan

floorplan.jpg

Lilian: Mace, huh? Don't buy downlight with Ballast? Tot the posting that I read in your T-blog is must buy got ballast one?

So likely not getting from that shop too. Cos the measurement is biggter than the normal one. My T5 4ft is Compact Fixture 1194x27x45mm (w/prismatic diffuser), was charged $38 loh. Consider expensive ar?

since when i said must buy downlight with ballast??? :dunno:

infact, no offense, i find it dumb to get downlight with ballast - cos when it 's spoilt - who gonna go climb the ladder and dig out the ballast from the ceiling???

design and plan your reno for a house - not for a hotel/restaurant cos you DONT have a 24x7 maintenance team.

since when i said must buy downlight with ballast??? :dunno:

infact, no offense, i find it dumb to get downlight with ballast - cos when it 's spoilt - who gonna go climb the ladder and dig out the ballast from the ceiling???

design and plan your reno for a house - not for a hotel/restaurant cos you DONT have a 24x7 maintenance team.

Mace, ok...so downlight no need to buy those that have ballast. But if the downlights come will ballast then how? So buy ballast for only normal, designer lamps, T5 and T8 ar?

CC cheaper than Kelantan Road? Or the other way round?

sorry that i asked so much cos my ID not helping me and I got no one to ask.

Mace, ok...so downlight no need to buy those that have ballast. But if the downlights come will ballast then how? So buy ballast for only normal, designer lamps, T5 and T8 ar?

CC cheaper than Kelantan Road? Or the other way round?

sorry that i asked so much cos my ID not helping me and I got no one to ask.

try your best to get downlights that lets you screw in a energy saving bulb. DIE DIE never get those that comes with ballast. usually it cost around $12-$20 only. cheaper and more practical - think of WHO's gonna change the ballast when it spoils.

choo chiang more for raw materials, they don have much designs.

as for lighting colours - depends on individual. warm white gives a more cozy feeling but me n wife prefer bright white lights.

wah ur floor plan is cool man

does the 3k include the landing?

i think i mati la like that

yupz...but still - it's only a small area and $3k.....haiz

try your best to get downlights that lets you screw in a energy saving bulb. DIE DIE never get those that comes with ballast. usually it cost around $12-$20 only. cheaper and more practical - think of WHO's gonna change the ballast when it spoils.

choo chiang more for raw materials, they don have much designs.

as for lighting colours - depends on individual. warm white gives a more cozy feeling but me n wife prefer bright white lights.

Ok so downlights no ballast...then how those electronic ballast must insist to have them installed inside my T5, T8, normal lamps and designer lamps?

Ok so downlights no ballast...then how those electronic ballast must insist to have them installed inside my T5, T8, normal lamps and designer lamps?

yupz. or can diy at a later time.

always insist on philips($9 only) or osram($20+) electronic ballast.

try to go for T5.... no heat, doesnt drink electricity.

yupz. or can diy at a later time.

always insist on philips($9 only) or osram($20+) electronic ballast.

try to go for T5.... no heat, doesnt drink electricity.

DIY? Gosh...how to? Got step-by-step guide? My electrician won't help us do one. Anyway, I was charged $4000 for my electrical works. Ex rite? I think I kena chopped.

T5 is more expensive than T8 rite? So was thinking just get some T5 (for places where I will switch on more often) and some T8 (for cove lighting - anyway won't switch on that often - only for atmosphere).

Qns 1: Your advice?

Btw, Kelantan Road there...which shops to visit? Is there one in particular which u always visit? Will they help to assemble the T5/T8 bulbs together with the holder/cover for us? Is it cash and carry?

Qns 2: CC switches cheaper or Kelantan Road?

Qns 3: Does Kelantan Road sells doorbell?

Edited by Lilian

smartfool... protect with 3M first, then won't have to use kleen king :D

1 part bleach with 4 parts water in a spray bottle, spray and leave for one hour (make sure there's enough ventilation), after an hour, scrub those that are still grimy with toothbrush.. and rinse.

I do this every month and after 10 yrs the grouting in my previous house were still all white. Will work for toilet bowls to prevent that water mark too.

Hi patsy_sg & Bro MaCe

Thanks for your advise.

patsy_sg,

May i know what do you mean by 1 part bleach with 4 parts water in a spray bottle?

Edited by missyling

skywolf, is your wall painted or tiled? if tiled, you may want to try nail polish remover... but not on painted surfaces!

Paiseh, paiseh, busy the past few days...

Patsy: The 'stains' are on the aluminium part lehz. It's on top of the paint wor. Meaning, its on the aluminium...

I look for nail polish removers that dosen't say got acetone. Aiya, nailpolish removers~! I have @ home. :dancingqueen::dancingqueen::lol:

DIY? Gosh...how to? Got step-by-step guide? My electrician won't help us do one. Anyway, I was charged $4000 for my electrical works. Ex rite? I think I kena chopped.

T5 is more expensive than T8 rite? So was thinking just get some T5 (for places where I will switch on more often) and some T8 (for cove lighting - anyway won't switch on that often - only for atmosphere).

Qns 1: Your advice?

Btw, Kelantan Road there...which shops to visit? Is there one in particular which u always visit? Will they help to assemble the T5/T8 bulbs together with the holder/cover for us? Is it cash and carry?

Qns 2: CC switches cheaper or Kelantan Road?

Qns 3: Does Kelantan Road sells doorbell?

Qn1 = try to use jsut 1 type of tube...in your case T5 .

Qns2 = didnt find out - either place they are cheap.

qns3 = yes - go to a shop call Hong Kwang.

Paiseh, paiseh, busy the past few days...

Patsy: The 'stains' are on the aluminium part lehz. It's on top of the paint wor. Meaning, its on the aluminium...

I look for nail polish removers that dosen't say got acetone. Aiya, nailpolish removers~! I have @ home. :dancingqueen::dancingqueen::lol:

nailpolish remover is exp than 1 tin(about 2 litres) of acetone that costs around $10.

mace, light for Lbox, which to use? just now went to choo chiang & chan huat all use ballast&transformer ??

your electrician would have recommend something -

T5 tubes + electronic ballast.