Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sohck

City Living

DSC_0034.jpg

Ok, there is a DB Box in the store room. The previous owner might have rewired the place when they shifted in (first owner shifted in 25 years ago). If that is the case, we may not have to do the rewiring again.

Anybody here understand DB box? Is there space for me to add in more electrical plugs? We have many computers at home so we need a lot more electrical plugs than what is currently available.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

This is the current master bedroom. The built-in cabinet will be replaced with a new one [maybe] incorporating a king-size bed (for my wife and two kids - not sure where I will be sleeping yet). It will be a L-shape one extending all the way to the right to cover the ugly arc.

The existing laminate floor will be replaced with Supreme AC5. Have not chosen the colour yet.

DSC_0025.jpg

Edited by sohck

DSC_0034.jpg

Ok, there is a DB Box in the store room. The previous owner might have rewired the place when they shifted in (first owner shifted in 25 years ago). If that is the case, we may not have to do the rewiring again.

Anybody here understand DB box? Is there space for me to add in more electrical plugs? We have many computers at home so we need a lot more electrical plugs than what is currently available.

your electrician would be able to add a few more powerpoints for u in the house so dont worry about the DB box. They'll know where to tap on to give u enough powerpoints for your computers, electrical stuff. U can also get them to relocate the existing points if u feel the points would be obstructing your furnitures.

your electrician would be able to add a few more powerpoints for u in the house so dont worry about the DB box. They'll know where to tap on to give u enough powerpoints for your computers, electrical stuff. U can also get them to relocate the existing points if u feel the points would be obstructing your furnitures.

Thanks for the information. Does that mean I won't have to rewire the whole house?

If that is the case I can save a few thousand dollars!

Thanks for the information. Does that mean I won't have to rewire the whole house?

If that is the case I can save a few thousand dollars!

Ya dont think u'll need to rewired the whole house but when was the last time they rewired the house?

Ya dont think u'll need to rewired the whole house but when was the last time they rewired the house?

About 7 years ago....

About 7 years ago....

oh then its good news. No need to spend thousands of $ to rewire the unit. Usually if its an old flat with wiring done up more than 15 - 20 years ago then people would consider rewiring.

oh then its good news. No need to spend thousands of $ to rewire the unit. Usually if its an old flat with wiring done up more than 15 - 20 years ago then people would consider rewiring.

Ah, thanks for the info.

Decision Time!

Decision is supposed to make today but was complicated with some recent developments:

1. Our property agent for the flat has a brother who owns a ID/contractor film. He has offered to do the renovation for us at a lower rate. Spoke to him, saw two of his projects this week (Wednesday and Saturday) and are now awaiting for his quotation (which is one day late, suppose to arrive yesterday).

2. When we told Uncle Ah Soon that his price is not much difference from the ID, he has given us a big discount. So now he is back in the running.

On a separate note,

We saw the design from Baroque on the TV console, feature wall and shoe rack, as well as the bedroom cabinet cum bed design. My wife didn't really like the design. Moreover, the ID has put in some additional cost for the hacking so although we have taken out the flooring, the cost remains only $2K difference.

Will be dropping by Ideal's office in the afternoon to take a look at the design. We should be able to make some decisions after we see the design from them. The designer has been rushing out the design for us in the last few days. We appreciate the urgency they show.

i feels sometime u sign with someone u know,friends or relative,they will tends to says they give u the best quote.set u aside to feels shy to ask for more discount.

that is how my sis kena and in the end her reno was so expensive!IF only we sign with someone we donno,at least we can try to sequeeze them out for some good freebies,as much as possible! ;)

Rondy,

That is very true. I have a friend who owns a renovation film. When I told him that I am shifting and need renovation, he promised to give me best price (everything at cost plus 10% for his project management) and best quality (claimed his project manager does commercial project and is one of the most demanding contractor in Singapore). I remember during a meeting at my office meeting room, the PM was criticizing the workmanship of my office and claimed he could do a lot better.

He initially refused to quote us when my wife requested him, saying that he can give us the best price and we really should not be worried with the pricing. After repeated requests, the quotation came but pricing was on the high side. But my friend assured me that price can be negotiated after he takes physical measurement from the flat.

But the biggest disappointment came when we inspected one of his existing projects: the tiles were not aligned properly, and there were many mis-drilled holes on the cabinets which are patched by white plaster.

So in the end I have to tell my friend the truth. His pricing is not good enough, and so is his workmanship. I might have tarnished our friendship with this as he was not too happy hearing what I say, but I guess that is life.

So Rondy I do agree with you, dealing with a pure stranger might be a lot easier than dealing with somebody you know in home renovation.

Decision Time!

Decision is supposed to make today but was complicated with some recent developments:

1. Our property agent for the flat has a brother who owns a ID/contractor film. He has offered to do the renovation for us at a lower rate. Spoke to him, saw two of his projects this week (Wednesday and Saturday) and are now awaiting for his quotation (which is one day late, suppose to arrive yesterday).

2. When we told Uncle Ah Soon that his price is not much difference from the ID, he has given us a big discount. So now he is back in the running.

On a separate note,

We saw the design from Baroque on the TV console, feature wall and shoe rack, as well as the bedroom cabinet cum bed design. My wife didn't really like the design. Moreover, the ID has put in some additional cost for the hacking so although we have taken out the flooring, the cost remains only $2K difference.

Will be dropping by Ideal's office in the afternoon to take a look at the design. We should be able to make some decisions after we see the design from them. The designer has been rushing out the design for us in the last few days. We appreciate the urgency they show.

The meeting with Ideal:

There was an accident on PIE so we got to our meeting 10 minutes late, but the ID was still all smiles when we got there.

The ID went through the proposed designs for the carpentry in (1) TV console and feature wall; (2) kitchen; (3) masterbed room wardrobe cum bed headrest; (4) bedroom 2 study table and cabinet; and (5) bedroom 3 wardrobe. But unlike Baroque, all the pictures were hand drawn and not coloured (black and white). 3D pictures are high-tech and hand drawn ones are impressive - I am weak in my arts and crafts and hand drawn pictures never fail to impress me.

Comparing the quotes, Ideal's one is more pleasant. The ID removes the items that we didn't need (discover during the visit to our new flat) and added in new ones that we asked for. One the other hand, Baroque has added in a few items that were not in his initial quote, such as hacking and disposal of bedroom cabinet, etc. I can't stop but feel that Baroque is adding some items to make up for the removed items so as to keep his top line in tact.

Ideal also told us to decide quickly because he could only do three projects simultaneously. Three projects? That is a big contrast to Uncle Ah Soon and also 40% lower than "nice shoe". So he will have a lot of time to look after our reno so we won't have to do it ourselves.

At this juncture, we are very inclined to give the reno to Ideal. But I told him "Let me sleep with your quote for the night, if I don't get any nightmare, I will give you the deal tomorrow!"

Sure enough, no nightmare last night - so he will get the good news from my wife later on in the day!

Currently all the bedrooms has laminate flooring installed (not sure what brand); will be replacing them with Supreme AC5.

DSC_0039.jpg

Bedroom 2: This is the only bedroom in the house that does not have the funny arc. We intend to convert this to a study room for myself and my two kids. Thinking of buying desks from vHive and get the ID to construct full length (about 13 feet) cabinet along the side of the wall. Will be adding two additional books cabinets, also from vHive - one full length (2.4m) on the left wall and a short one at the wall where the window panes are.

DSC_0021.jpg