Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

Hi ppl,

this is the photo toppie took with her phone camera. :P

These window grills design are supposedly approved by HDB.

The HDB person told me this is not applicable to Blk 79 because we do not have service balcony. She said there is no restriction on our window grill patterns. So, dun worry. =)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi ppl,

this is the photo toppie took with her phone camera. :P

Windowgrills.jpg

These window grills design are supposedly approved by HDB.

not much choice.all block view.

The HDB person told me this is not applicable to Blk 79 because we do not have service balcony. She said there is no restriction on our window grill patterns. So, dun worry. =)

wahh.. mapleleaf.. welcome back to the forum..

long long time no hear from u le... sms u that day.. no reply de :P

how have u been?? :P

btw, thanks for the info.. hehe "an xin" le... :thumbs up:

Edited by meowie49

long long time no hear from u le... sms u that day.. no reply de zz

how have u been?? :P

btw, thanks for the info.. hehe "an xin" le... :P

But then how come HDB officer told me so? My contractor also din believe me and she called up and ask also. Seems that different HDB officer say different thing. To be on the safe side, better get the name of the officer who confirm this and put it in writing. Otherwise, if there is any problem, we will still be at losing end :P

this is a time to test my ren3 gong1.

i think after this renovation, nothing can make me angry liao.

-optimistic-

=)

My ID came down and look at my homo tiles today. Told me the uneven tiles I pointed to him is norm. He can do the replacement for me but he will not be responsible for the repercussion. According to the ID, he will have to cut out the tiles, remove the cement level then place a new piece back. The end result might be worse cos:

(1) The gap in between the tiles would be worse and the ends will not meet.

(2) Need additional new tiles which he has to order and may delay the handover

(3) Different shipment of tiles means possibility of different shades for the tiles cos colour of tiles may differ slightly with different shipment.

Seems that he is trying to "saiko" me not to change. Now I also vexed over whether to change or not to change. If dun change now, next time the tiles pop up, it will be rectified using own money and would be additional cost to my renovation package.

I will be calling another contractor who do my window grills to take a look for me. If given her professional opinion and she thinks its ok, i will not redo. At least its an independent opinion. :thumbs up:

But then how come HDB officer told me so? My contractor also din believe me and she called up and ask also. Seems that different HDB officer say different thing. To be on the safe side, better get the name of the officer who confirm this and put it in writing. Otherwise, if there is any problem, we will still be at losing end :P

My ID came down and look at my homo tiles today. Told me the uneven tiles I pointed to him is norm. He can do the replacement for me but he will not be responsible for the repercussion. According to the ID, he will have to cut out the tiles, remove the cement level then place a new piece back. The end result might be worse cos:

(3) Different shipment of tiles means possibility of different shades for the tiles cos colour of tiles may differ slightly with different shipment.

Seems that he is trying to "saiko" me not to change. Now I also vexed over whether to change or not to change. If dun change now, next time the tiles pop up, it will be rectified using own money and would be additional cost to my renovation package.

I will be calling another contractor who do my window grills to take a look for me. If given her professional opinion and she thinks its ok, i will not redo. At least its an independent opinion. :P

Hi Toppie,

I think it all depends on how "bad" the uneven tiles are... I think very difficult for all tiles to be 100% even also... we had a few uneven tiles in the bedrooms also, some still can 'close one eye', but a few were not acceptable, the 'cut-leg' effect was very obvious. So the tiler came, removed the tiles, and laid new ones. So far, the 'cut-leg' effect gone after replacing.

But correct me if I'm wrong... I thought hollow tiles are more prone to popping up than 'cut-leg' tiles?? :thumbs up:

meepok

But correct me if I'm wrong... I thought hollow tiles are more prone to popping up than 'cut-leg' tiles?? :thumbs up:

meepok

hi meepok,

u are right. hollow tiles are more prone to popping ... but it is a "over-time" effect.

Leg-cutting tiles are more like a "immediate and permanent" and can cause some personal "mental stress" effect... :P

toppie

1st impt question: is ur tiles hollow or just uneven?

dunno if she had hollow tiles.. but her uneven tiles are very obvious.. u can feel like u are walking up a very gentle slope... :P

the reasons are ur ID cited are in my opinion means to save the trouble of changing.

why?

(THIS ONE IS ON WORKMANSHIP SKILL, I guess his tiler not confident)

(Let me give u some info, all these while as much as I felt unhappy with my reno, my id replaced the TILES WITH NO REASONING, Kudos to him, 22 hollow tiles, tiler took one whole day to hack and replaced. -I am saying from 1030 am to 7.30pm, if delay also won't take too long.)

(Neighbour, ID/tiler can see the tile before laying. he havent even try ordering, what colour is ur tiles? cream, white or other speacial colour)

for my case, it is hollow tiles, so have to change.

got elderly at home,cant wait till 5 years to see it popping.

when it pops, it is not one pcs, but the whole stretch.

tiler assured me . won't pop one..etc...

I rather not take the risk.

for punggol flats prenium flat, it did pop.

and HDB is giving the resident $150 per day to allow them to shift somewhere when HDB lay tiles.

for e.g if HDB take 4 days to replace the tiles, HDB will pay $150 x 4

to the resident.

and HDB will do very fast cos they dun want to pay so much to resident.

for us, where can we turn to?

the pop up is not like will happen in 1-2 yr but 5 years, all warranty on whatever contract would have cease.

I don't dare to count on my tiler to come back to repair then.

with all the inconvenience to shift ur furniture and the mental stress.

eeeww...so given a choice, I rather choose uneven tiles, unsightly but safer than pop up tiles.

Toppie, u come and see my house uneven section and I see urs lah.

maybe urs is a little uneven only.

=) cheers.

Edited by tension_z

long long time no hear from u le... sms u that day.. no reply de :(

how have u been?? :unsure:

btw, thanks for the info.. hehe "an xin" le... :D

Got sms meh? I still lurk....sometimes...

But then how come HDB officer told me so? My contractor also din believe me and she called up and ask also. Seems that different HDB officer say different thing. To be on the safe side, better get the name of the officer who confirm this and put it in writing. Otherwise, if there is any problem, we will still be at losing end :curse:

You are right. Anyways, the HDB officer who clarified said this is a very common "confusion". And she took a pen and underline the words "service....balcony" on the diagram that Meowie posted up.

Hi Toppie,

What kind of grills you did? can't really find type that suits the window all cos of the ugly bars tha HDB did. Even my 80yr old auntie says HDB is tupid why Condo can like that but we need have a fence behind our window..SighZz :unsure:

Most of the designs quite standard...dunno how it looks if its horizontal grillies on top and verticle on the bottom. :curse:

Not sure if this will be of any help. You can remove the bottom grill quite easily.

toppie

1st impt question: is ur tiles hollow or just uneven?

Its uneven. So far, have not checked on the hollow tiles cos I cant differentiate

the reasons are ur ID cited are in my opinion means to save the trouble of changing.

why?

(THIS ONE IS ON WORKMANSHIP SKILL, I guess his tiler not confident)

(Let me give u some info, all these while as much as I felt unhappy with my reno, my id replaced the TILES WITH NO REASONING, Kudos to him, 22 hollow tiles, tiler took one whole day to hack and replaced. -I am saying from 1030 am to 7.30pm, if delay also won't take too long.)

(Neighbour, ID/tiler can see the tile before laying. he havent even try ordering, what colour is ur tiles? cream, white or other speacial colour)

for my case, it is hollow tiles, so have to change.

got elderly at home,cant wait till 5 years to see it popping.

when it pops, it is not one pcs, but the whole stretch.

tiler assured me . won't pop one..etc...

I rather not take the risk.

for punggol flats prenium flat, it did pop.

and HDB is giving the resident $150 per day to allow them to shift somewhere when HDB lay tiles.

for e.g if HDB take 4 days to replace the tiles, HDB will pay $150 x 4

to the resident.

and HDB will do very fast cos they dun want to pay so much to resident.

for us, where can we turn to?

the pop up is not like will happen in 1-2 yr but 5 years, all warranty on whatever contract would have cease.

I don't dare to count on my tiler to come back to repair then.

with all the inconvenience to shift ur furniture and the mental stress.

eeeww...so given a choice, I rather choose uneven tiles, unsightly but safer than pop up tiles.

Toppie, u come and see my house uneven section and I see urs lah.

maybe urs is a little uneven only.

=) cheers.

Sure, my hubby and I will pop by at 7 plus later. Sigh! I really dun have patience like yours. All these uneveness alone is making me very fedup cos I dun know how to tell. If not for meowie49, I cant even tell its uneven. Same goes to my hubby.

Not sure if this will be of any help. You can remove the bottom grill quite easily.

Hi Mapleleaf

Thanks Thanks! Yupp I think i read the post much earlier on the step by step instruction to remove the "fence". :curse:

But I husband kia si loh...say now remove liao later have to put back when we sell the flat. So just leave it lor... :unsure:

Edited by howlupjac

By the way, did anyone do ventilation fans on your washrooms?

Can share the pictures? Is it also true that if we were to change the window

panes, we have to use back those wired window panes? :notti:

HIHI all neighbours.. :dunno:

1. Are window grills a MUST? Just that we are not restricted by the design?

2. My gate's handle is rusty. Where should i go to (HDB?) for it to be changed? And will it be free? And after the change, will the keys to my gate (where the handle is) remain the same?

Sorry if any of these have already been asked, but there's just too many pages to backtrack even when i tried using search :notti: