Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

Hi guys esp Mummies and Daddies in Toa Payoh.

Ministry of Education's MOE ExCEL Fest is back again!!

This is a yearly event which showcases and celebrate the success of schools and students. Will like to invite all of you to join us at this event which will be held at Suntec City on 4th and 5th July 2008!

Parents with kids going to Primary one, there will be a special forum organized FOC for you!! Invited speakers include Joe Augustin, a parent volunteer, principals from a kindergarten and a primary school.... hear from different perspectives on how we can help our little ones get ready for primary 1.

Parents with kids in different age groups, there are also other talks etc going on for you too to attend and find out about the ever changing educational landscape.

I'm really here just to share this good news of this event as it takes a village to raise a child(hahahahha one of our pavillion where u can see an old classroom and play games is named after this). I'm sure our kampung of 79ers will support right???

To have more details on how to sign up for this event, click here:

http://excelfest.com/loadhtml.php?where=ex...p;what=main.php

and we even have a facebook account!!!! WOOHOO!!

thanks everyone and do spread the word!! THANKS!!!

PS:I'M PUBLICIZING THIS COS I'M A TINY LITTLE PART IN THIS COMMITTEE AND SERIOUSLY, THOUGHT THIS WILL CREATE AWARENESS TO EVERYONE ON WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE EDUCATION SCENE. KUDOS AND AGAPE! WE ARE FELLOW KAMPONGERS! PLS DON'T SHOOT ANY ARROW! THANKS! :yamseng:

Hi strawberry pear, welcome back to the forum, hvn't hear fr u for a while. Thanks for the info and I'll check out the event!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Dracula,

Would love to but we have something on in the morning so would most probably reach there around 3+pm. Guess another time bah :(

Anyway, would also wanna check whether Aunt Fatimah is active in the mscp in our blocks. Not free parking on Sun, is it?

Ok sure. :notti:

Hehe for parking i not sure, i dun drive ah so cannot answer u in that.

Am sure the other forumers might be able to help u on that :D

Hi Dracula,

Would love to but we have something on in the morning so would most probably reach there around 3+pm. Guess another time bah :(

Anyway, would also wanna check whether Aunt Fatimah is active in the mscp in our blocks. Not free parking on Sun, is it?

Hi Vlanze,

Aunt Fatimah is super active in our block, so you know wat to do hor. No free parking on Sun at the moment, maybe in the future.

Babymaro2003

:yamseng:

Crap...expected from the location.

Anyway, add me again. Accidentally declined...oops :P

Hi Vlanze,

Aunt Fatimah is super active in our block, so you know wat to do hor. No free parking on Sun at the moment, maybe in the future.

Babymaro2003

Hi Dracula,

Hi Vlanze,

If you coming on Sun, you can park at 79E behind that mscp near to Blk 85. It's free on sunday. Or you can park at tpy central behind Library that open air carpark, but have to walk over lor.

Babymaro2003

Crap...expected from the location.

Anyway, add me again. Accidentally declined...oops :P

Hi Vlanze,

Already added :bleah:

Babymaro2003

Hey,

I heard that Aunt Fatimah and gang gonna be retrenched very soon, is it true? Gonna be taken over by Uncle Cisco and scooter?

Hmm..... :dunno:

:notti:

ya, just now i saw one Uncle on scooter, put love letters and took photos of all the contractors' lorries near Blk B. At least a good 4-5 lorries there, never give face even though there were some workers milling about, waiting for their drivers/co-workers.

So evil one?

Hey,

I heard that Aunt Fatimah and gang gonna be retrenched very soon, is it true? Gonna be taken over by Uncle Cisco and scooter?

Is it? Dun seem to have u on my msn list leh :dunno:

Already added :bleah:

Babymaro2003

Doesnt matter...end of the day, it still means fines to us :curse:

Hey,

Hi Everybody,

1) When you move in, how to activate the phone line?

2) How to activate internet, let say I have setup my pc and modem?

Thanks everybody!

HAPPY

I am not sure abt Starhub as i am using Singnet. Still under contract...

Singtel charges a one time fee of $50 for telephone activation. It takes 4 working days.

If i am not wrong, you are given 2 choices of numbers. But for me i was given only ONE, as she claims my area has limited numbers. Luckily we are able to accept this brand new number and not recycled number.

As for internet, you can setup your singnet BB if you are using BB.

Plus if you relocating your BB from your previous place, it is FOC. Provided the subscriber remains the same person.

:thumbs up:

:)

I'm changing my bedroom doors, so can give you. Problem is, I'm not sure which way they open and also, how to take out and pass you har? Will be going down to my unit this Sat about noon. If convenient, can pop by mine and see if the door(s) are useful to you. PM me if you can make it for Sat. :)

Hey Seaswirl,

- u got sms. :notti:

- 2mr i'l only b free after 2pm.

- see how then, wil sms u again.

;)

Hi Jacky777,

I can help u check if my neighbour has got the left swing Bedroom door..

I got my left swing door from Sushibabe.. but her's is toilet door so dun have the keyhole.. but i managed to swop wif my existing right swing MBR door..

After i got it from Sushibabe then i realised my neighbour also got the left swing door already with keyhole..

Do u still need it? i can ask..

Then do u still have the glass? can i have it?

Thanks

Hey ryuki,

- yah, ask ur neighbour 4 mi.

- if e lockset can turn-around & re-use, then mayb i can reuse back my right-swing door. Jus dat i need 2 buy new hinges & nytoh door frame. Existing door frame is metal. :idea:

- e glass is a 4ft x 2ft 12mm thk black tinted tempered glass.

- can use s glass worktop wen place on-top of any table.

- u can have it if u wan. :unsure:

- pt. 2 note is dat -> tempered glass canot b cut, it can withstand high temperature & impact.

- more info on tempered glass can b found here ->

What is tempered glass?

Extracted ->

Tempered glass is one of two kinds of safety glass regularly used in applications in which standard glass could pose a potential danger. Tempered glass is four to five times stronger than standard glass and does not break into sharp shards when it fails. Tempered glass is manufactured through a process of extreme heating and rapid cooling, making it harder than normal glass.

The brittle nature of tempered glass causes it to shatter into small oval-shaped pebbles when broken. This eliminates the danger of sharp edges. Due to this property, along with its strength, tempered glass is often referred to as safety glass.

The thermal process that cures tempered glass also makes it heat resistant. Tempered glass is used to make the carafes in automatic coffee makers and the windows in ovens. Computer screens, skylights, door windows, tub enclosures and shower doors are more examples of places you will find tempered glass. Building codes also require the windows of many public structures to be made of tempered glass.

Disadvantages of tempered glass

Extracted ->

Toughened glass must be cut to size or pressed to shape before toughening and cannot be re-worked once toughened. Polishing the edges or drilling holes in the glass is carried out before the toughening process starts. Due to the balanced stresses in the glass, damage to the glass will eventually result in the glass shattering into thumbnail sized pieces. The glass is most susceptible to breakage due to damage to the edge of the glass where the tensile stress is the greatest, but shattering can also occur in the event of a hard impact in the middle of the glass pane or if the impact is concentrated (for example, striking the glass with a point). Using toughened glass can pose a security risk in some situations due to the tendency of the glass to shatter completely upon hard impact rather than leaving shards in the windowsill.

:rolleyes:

Hey,

Hey Dracula,

- ur news kinda outdated liao.

- it had oleady been implemented, phase by phase.

:P

- btw, e 'hello kity' r those Macdonalds' era type loh.

- if u wana see, i'l email u e pix.

- PM mi ur email addy.

;)

- Hows ur reno going?

- Seems like ur upcuming hm got sort of wavy & extraordinary designs?

- loking 4ward. :dribble:

- can go kpo? wana copy ur designs, can?

:rofl:

ya, just now i saw one Uncle on scooter, put love letters and took photos of all the contractors' lorries near Blk B. At least a good 4-5 lorries there, never give face even though there were some workers milling about, waiting for their drivers/co-workers.

So evil one?

Hey groovygenie,

- i was there jus now, chating with some workers.

- e Uncle on e scooter came & walked 2wards mi.

- he asked 'is dis ur lorry?', i said 'No'.

- he asked again 'which 1 of these illegal parked vehicle is urs?', i said 'i dun drive lorry'.

- then he showed mi a list of complaints by 'somebody'. Told mi he got no choice b.cos of e complaints. Anyway, he's a nice Uncle doing his rightful job.

- i told him, 'u klkk & relak 4 awhile lah, if stil nobody cum drive away, then go ahead do ur job loh'.

- after awhile, he reluctantly did his job.

- then he told mi abt e fines for illegally parking ->

->service driveway to MSCP = $50,

->service driveway to centralized refuse centre = $100,

->infront of CRC roller shutter = $1000,

->in e yellow-box meant for fire engine, obstruction to fire hydrant & breeching inlets (anything related to fire-fighting) = $5000.

:deal::jawdrop:

- oh yah. e Tel 2 call for illegal parking, blackout, lift break dn etc is e same. 1 Tel no. directs all. :notti:

:sport-smiley-003:

Edited by jaCKY777

Alamak, I always park my red scooter there when i go by to check on the flat (just go up the staircase. less than 5 minutes usually then I'm off), more convenient and burn less fuel going up the MSCP :) But have to think twice now, the fines quite ex ah.

I still think it is not right to 'saman' all the contractors' lorries. Inconvenience, yes, but they have nowhere else to stop, unload and wait, usually they don't take long. Inside that area in between the CRCs still okay, i think, cannot tahan are those who park along the driveway leading out of the carpark. Can cause blindspots when turning left coming out from carpark. There was one Saturday morning, massive jam there cos of one inconsiderate lorry, choked the road by parking on the narrow lane at the carpark exit. What was he thinking!

Hey groovygenie,

- i was there jus now, chating with some workers.

- e Uncle on e scooter came & walked 2wards mi.

- he asked 'is dis ur lorry?', i said 'No'.

- he asked again 'which 1 of these illegal parked vehicle is urs?', i said 'i dun drive lorry'.

- then he showed mi a list of complaints by 'somebody'. Told mi he got no choice b.cos of e complaints. Anyway, he's a nice Uncle doing his rightful job.

- i told him, 'u klkk & relak 4 awhile lah, if stil nobody cum drive away, then go ahead do ur job loh'.

- after awhile, he reluctantly did his job.

- then he told mi abt e fines for illegally parking ->

->service driveway to MSCP = $50,

->service driveway to centralized refuse centre = $100,

->infront of CRC roller shutter = $1000,

->in e yellow-box meant for fire engine, obstruction to fire hydrant & breeching inlets (anything related to fire-fighting) = $5000.

:deal::jawdrop:

- oh yah. e Tel 2 call for illegal parking, blackout, lift break dn etc is e same. 1 Tel no. directs all. :notti:

:sport-smiley-003:

Case study of a 4-rm 90sqm unit with entrance foyer ->

- base on my unit, foyer area = rectangular area between main entrance & household shelter wall-line, HHS door on 1 side, kitchen entrance on e other.

- tile needed at foyer area = foyer floor area + skirting area + 10% wastage = 5.797sqm.

- 5.797sqm = 5.797sqm x 10.765 = 62.40sqft aprox. 63sqft.

- tile priced by supplier = $3.00 per sq feet

- cement & sand = $1.50 psf (approx)

- labour to lay = $1.50 psf (approx)

- profit by ID/main contractor $0.50 psf (approx)

- cost incur to layman to lay $3 psf tile at foyer = ($3 + $1.50 + $ 1.50 + $0.50)psf x 63sqft = $409.50 approx $410.

- supply material & labour including sand & cement to lay pebbles wash = $350 approx (lump sum normally). Also depends on size of area to be laid.

- if initially was to lay pebbles wash, subsequently replace with $3psf floor tiles, my method of calculating ->

= total unit's flooring cost - foyer area pebbles wash cost + foyer area tiling cost

= $5000 (approx) - $350 (approx) + $410 (approx)

= $5060 (approx).

- e difference between e new tiling cost & pebbles wash cost wil b e additional amount 1 needs to pay.

- it olso depends on how much e pebbles wash was quoted in e 1st place. It may end up do not need to top-up.

- if e difference is very minimal, e ID/contractor may choose 2 absorb it.

- theoretically, $0.50 x 50 pcs of tile = top-up amount is right.

- practically, its wrong.

- cutting tile $150, labour for workmanship $50, 70 pcs of tiles $50 DO NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME

- 1 cant control how e ID/contractor gona charge u, but 1 can bargain with them 2 reduce e amount.

e above is base on my knowledge, prices r indicative, not reflecting current market value or representing any ID/contractor co.

:rolleyes:

i was around when my contractor cut the tiles.. took him less than 20 sec to cut the tile. Hence $150 is totally unreasonable. If he order 70 tiles, allow him to do that since the price is not a lot. BUT count n ask him for whatever is LEFTOVER! make sure dun let him eat loh...

Hi jaCKY777, meowie49,

Many thanks for your kind advise.

Will go try talking to my ID.. i find it unreasonably costly and somehow kena eaten.. :bangwall:

Hey ryuki,

- yah, ask ur neighbour 4 mi.

- if e lockset can turn-around & re-use, then mayb i can reuse back my right-swing door. Jus dat i need 2 buy new hinges & nytoh door frame. Existing door frame is metal. :idea:

- e glass is a 4ft x 2ft 12mm thk black tinted tempered glass.

- can use s glass worktop wen place on-top of any table.

- u can have it if u wan. :unsure:

- pt. 2 note is dat -> tempered glass canot b cut, it can withstand high temperature & impact.

- more info on tempered glass can b found here ->

What is tempered glass?

Extracted ->

Tempered glass is one of two kinds of safety glass regularly used in applications in which standard glass could pose a potential danger. Tempered glass is four to five times stronger than standard glass and does not break into sharp shards when it fails. Tempered glass is manufactured through a process of extreme heating and rapid cooling, making it harder than normal glass.

The brittle nature of tempered glass causes it to shatter into small oval-shaped pebbles when broken. This eliminates the danger of sharp edges. Due to this property, along with its strength, tempered glass is often referred to as safety glass.

The thermal process that cures tempered glass also makes it heat resistant. Tempered glass is used to make the carafes in automatic coffee makers and the windows in ovens. Computer screens, skylights, door windows, tub enclosures and shower doors are more examples of places you will find tempered glass. Building codes also require the windows of many public structures to be made of tempered glass.

Disadvantages of tempered glass

Extracted ->

Toughened glass must be cut to size or pressed to shape before toughening and cannot be re-worked once toughened. Polishing the edges or drilling holes in the glass is carried out before the toughening process starts. Due to the balanced stresses in the glass, damage to the glass will eventually result in the glass shattering into thumbnail sized pieces. The glass is most susceptible to breakage due to damage to the edge of the glass where the tensile stress is the greatest, but shattering can also occur in the event of a hard impact in the middle of the glass pane or if the impact is concentrated (for example, striking the glass with a point). Using toughened glass can pose a security risk in some situations due to the tendency of the glass to shatter completely upon hard impact rather than leaving shards in the windowsill.

Hi jaCKY777,

Okay! I'll ask my neighbour when i see him. hope he haven throw away.. :)

Thanks for the info man! :good: My ID said tat he will give me normal glass panel for the kitchen cabinet backing but after reading ur info, i think i will insist him on giving me tempered glass. Its near the stove leh... :unsure:

The funny thing is he honestly declared that thou he had written tempered glass on the contract, but he will give us normal glass. WTH!! :jawdrop:

My TV feature wall also got use glass and he say use normal glass.. wat u tink? safe ma.. ? :unsure:

hey thanks huh.. i was tinkin of doin a DIY water feature lahr.. so it wld be great if i can have the glass lo. Dun mind hor? :help:

Hey Dracula,

- ur news kinda outdated liao.

- it had oleady been implemented, phase by phase.

:P

Sorry ah, i dun drive so i never keep updated news on URA :D

- btw, e 'hello kity' r those Macdonalds' era type loh.

- if u wana see, i'l email u e pix.

- PM mi ur email addy.

;)

I have PM you my email address already. TQ

- Hows ur reno going?

- Seems like ur upcuming hm got sort of wavy & extraordinary designs?

- loking 4ward. :dribble:

- can go kpo? wana copy ur designs, can?

Wavy yes but extraordinary.... :unsure:

Kpo i welcome all whom wanna come, no problem :D

Copyright ah! cannot cannot! Hehe :bleah:

Anyway designs also see magazine and copy here and there one lah, so nothing fancy ah :D

My carpentry will only be up from 16th June till end of June. The best to see the whole thing is on the first week of July :D

Hi neighbours

Something not related to reno but would like warn abt a scam out there. Went for a talk today about getting free gift. Luckily didn't sign up with them. They are asking for abt $20k from u.

This is a writeup of how it will happen by someone. Here's the URL to readup - http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/viewtopic...sc&start=70

Here's what happened:

I got a phone call from a lady earlier this year, apparently for a phone interview(survey). She did not state her credentials just proceeded into the survey immediately. The first question was something like: Have you travel via SIA before? Now, the survey was pretty short, only about 4-5 qns, with the last qns (I remember vividly): what is your salary range? Then she ended the conversation politely. Now, I found this survey too short and kind of questionable.

Yesterday, I got a phone call from this guy who called himself 'Javen'. He started with, "my collegue called you in Jan for survey, do you remember, the first qns was Have you travel via SIA before? you answered No." Then, he said we are from this company called DHA, not DHL, (ha ha) you heard before? We are like Natas fair in Suntec, you know, like the other travel agencies, blah blah. Then he said, you got kenna their "prize", $1000 dollar voucher to buy electronics, TV, furniture etc, or 1-for-1 cruise, or 8 day 7 night trip to thai whatever. He follows by you were one of 188 pple selected, and goes on elaborating how they are not like other timeshare etc, no need to sit for 4-5 hrs to get gift, just come for 90 minutes etc. Then he goes on how you can use the $1000 etc, how you can fully transfer your trip to your relatives if you want to, and they are trying to promote their company and let pple know about them. I asked him if they have a website, he said they use to have but very old, now under construction. Then he tried to fix me up for appointment that evening, and kept on asking me what time can you come, what time you knock off etc, I had something other stuff anyway, so I said tmr? He said ok, and kept pressing me for what time, I didn't gave him a exact answer, so he guessed my knock off time and told me address: Rolex Building (between Lucky Plaza and Paragon), #18-02, gave me instructions where to park if I drive and other instructions for public transport (so kind) and even gave me hotline:65365886 to call if I got lost. He then told me you must bring you IC down and asked for my full name. Afterwhich, he transferred the call to "his boss", another woman. The transfer was instantaneous, as if she was expecting me! She then told me again addr, hotline, how to get there, and I MUST bring my IC there! Then she said Javen is "purposely" staying back for me, "his only customer" tmr, and asked if I can go cos she will call the sponsors to tell them I'm going to go get the gift. (She then did some action behind to make it sound like she was processing it.) She emphasized again: MUST come down and bye bye.