Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
baby81984

3-room Resale In The West

Also, we wanted to add lighting to our WIW area.

So we used the Lack LED lights we bought more than a year ago at a super discounted price of $4.90 per pair!

A temporary look (have to saw the wood to size to hold the light)

IMAG0250.jpg

A better view (from far)

IMAG0247.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Door grille project:

Took out the door grille and Baby and i armed ourselves with screw driver and scrapper to remove the old paint.

IMAG0225.jpg

Think we spent 3 hours and only managed to scrap like one-third of the paint. The paint was stuck firmly onto the rusted metal:

IMAG0227.jpg

After getting weird looks from our neighbours. and being exhausted, we decided to call it a day. Shall go and get the paint remover before the police come and catch us for being a nusicience to our neighbours!

Meanwhile, we bought the 3 in 1 Direct to rust paint. (yes, lazy us). Can't wait for weekend to come again!!

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

Hope its true to its promise! :)

wait! before u start painting the grille, get a $1 copper brush and some 200-grit sandpaper & scrub over the surfaces to give a smooth bare skin before painting it smoothly :P

wait! before u start painting the grille, get a $1 copper brush and some 200-grit sandpaper & scrub over the surfaces to give a smooth bare skin before painting it smoothly :P

i think still long way to go before we can start painting.. :(

need more hours to remove the paint...

Also, we wanted to add lighting to our WIW area.

So we used the Lack LED lights we bought more than a year ago at a super discounted price of $4.90 per pair!

A temporary look (have to saw the wood to size to hold the light)

IMAG0250.jpg

A better view (from far)

IMAG0247.jpg

wow bro, u and ur wife really very hands on. i saw that ikea metal pole system and thought that it can only be used in storeroom. hahaha.. u actually used it for ur WIW area. smart la.

curious question. all ur purchase from ikea is paid delivery? or u transport the items back urself. my latio cannot fit more of the ikea items that i wanna buy leh.. pathetic.

wow bro, u and ur wife really very hands on. i saw that ikea metal pole system and thought that it can only be used in storeroom. hahaha.. u actually used it for ur WIW area. smart la.

curious question. all ur purchase from ikea is paid delivery? or u transport the items back urself. my latio cannot fit more of the ikea items that i wanna buy leh.. pathetic.

ikea charges $50 (stand corrected) for delivery per trip. for my stolmen poles, i just put them diagonally across the left front seat across the rear right seat, so long dun obstruct driver's view, can still be done :rolleyes:

oh..actually ikea alexandra has a set up for this broder pole system. They make it into a retail outlet feel, with a cashier counter and changing room. :)

uh yea i brought the stuff back ourselves. Can fit into a mazda 3. The poles are not that long, it requires an extension pole to be fitted on in order to reach the ceiling. Longest thing i tried is 8ft conduit pipe for electrical wiring.

think u can swap cars with friends or family? delivery charges are hefty...installation definitely need 2 people...

yes, it helps in having a good wife! we carried so many things and the only time she complained was becos of the glass...but actually i was also cursing.... :dribble:

oh..actually ikea alexandra has a set up for this broder pole system. They make it into a retail outlet feel, with a cashier counter and changing room. :)

uh yea i brought the stuff back ourselves. Can fit into a mazda 3. The poles are not that long, it requires an extension pole to be fitted on in order to reach the ceiling. Longest thing i tried is 8ft conduit pipe for electrical wiring.

think u can swap cars with friends or family? delivery charges are hefty...installation definitely need 2 people...

yes, it helps in having a good wife! we carried so many things and the only time she complained was becos of the glass...but actually i was also cursing.... :dribble:

whhaha... yea, i remember ur post about carrying back the super heavy glass. i just came back from ikea. haha.. been visitng ikea queensway almost everyday in a week. cause my office nearby only. i saw ur BRODER system there in a retail shop layout. really industrial looking, suits ur house. i am looking at the STOLMENT one. I tried closing the drawer too and the whole system shacked and vibrate. i asked the ikea person, she said the drawer doesn't come with any soft closing. ikea only has cabinet soft closing. dunno why neubie mentioned there is soft closing in his ikea STOLMENT.

whhaha... yea, i remember ur post about carrying back the super heavy glass. i just came back from ikea. haha.. been visitng ikea queensway almost everyday in a week. cause my office nearby only. i saw ur BRODER system there in a retail shop layout. really industrial looking, suits ur house. i am looking at the STOLMENT one. I tried closing the drawer too and the whole system shacked and vibrate. i asked the ikea person, she said the drawer doesn't come with any soft closing. ikea only has cabinet soft closing. dunno why neubie mentioned there is soft closing in his ikea STOLMENT.

Allow me to clarify. The supplied runner tracks by stolmen has this spring-retractable mechanism that is supposed pull back the drawer completely. but yes, there is no damping mechanism. i will try to show a closeup view of the stock mechanism. Stay tuned for details.

As to the vibration/wobbling, i will try to do something tonight and see if my solution works. :)

Edited by neubie

yeap we were considering stolmen as well. But in the end, our hearts went to the industrial shelves.. :P

hey, thought u getting ID to customise wardrobe..? Bad thing about stolmen is just the shakiness of drawers. Bad thing about broder is that there are no drawers.

yeap we were considering stolmen as well. But in the end, our hearts went to the industrial shelves.. :P

hey, thought u getting ID to customise wardrobe..? Bad thing about stolmen is just the shakiness of drawers. Bad thing about broder is that there are no drawers.

Ohh... Yeap, will be getting a custom wardrobe from id. But i kiasu la. Scare tt 7ft not enough. Since outside bathroom there got space, thinking of adding wiw pole system concept there.

But today i recalled the area i wanna put stolment is made up of false ceiling. Hmmm, think not advisable right. Sianz

Ohh... Yeap, will be getting a custom wardrobe from id. But i kiasu la. Scare tt 7ft not enough. Since outside bathroom there got space, thinking of adding wiw pole system concept there.

But today i recalled the area i wanna put stolment is made up of false ceiling. Hmmm, think not advisable right. Sianz

stolmen can oso be mounted/secured to walls if ceiling is not suitable, there are supplied accessories also.... ;) i more or less solved my shakiness problem liao....

Why people do not remove old paint

I finally understood why. Because it is really really tiring and back breaking! Even with a paint remover. Got this from Homely @ Toh Guan.

IMAG0257.jpg

Thought my job of removing rust would be a breeze with this. Well im only half correct.

Here is the before picture:

IMAG0258.jpg

After brushing a layer of paint remover, it becomes like this:

IMAG0259.jpg

After scrapping off gently, need not use too much force:

IMAG0260.jpg

Looks easy enough right? But the fact is that the paint remover is not able to remove mulitple layers of paint at one go. So its a tedious process of applying paint remover, scrap, re-apply, scrap...etc...

I managed to just scrap off paint for half the grille in around 3.5 hours. After that, almost felt like dying with an aching back...

But somehow, its very satisfying. I think its about the only time in my life when i am so happy to be able to see rust!

IMAG0270.jpg

Comments:

- paint remover is really smelly!

- the removed paint is damm disgusting and impossible to clean (stained my slippers!)

- very strong and i think its acidic, my hands itched when it comes into contact.

After my back breaking exercise, i realised that i had only done half a door grille! I still have a much much bigger window grille! I am determined to just wash and paint over the window grille. If i have to remove the paint from that grille, i would probably be able to complete the project by next december... :P

hahah bro. this is definitely tedious job. even hands on ppl like u can complain. i rather pay ppl do for me! u took whole day leave just to do that?! i rather go do audit.