Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
junwei84

Joining The Expanding Simei Neighbourhood

Haha.. I had the same problem of hating to chose when there is too many choices. But then again, its a 1 time pain only :)

A suggestion, just go to Plaza Singapura Goodrich shop, ask for the catalog and take your time to browse thru. After a while, you & your wife will know what you all like. Then just zoom into that particular type of design. The retail assistant there are nice people, they will not bother you when you are choosing, and they had pictures showing how the wall look like when done up with different wallpaper.

After I did wallpaper to my 1st & especially 2nd house, I sort of prefer wallpaper to decal. If you chose a good installer and nice wallpaper, it bring out the luxury and depth of the wall. This is what "feature" wall is all about to me, 1 look and it is the center of attraction of the house.

Think about it, when you go 4 or 5 start hotels or some higher class places, the wall is usually put with wallpaper ( & seldom decal ), there must be a reason why they did that. With correct lighting and simple accessories, they make the whole place feel much more "exclusive". This, I learnt from my ID, who had been doing a lot of renovation for high end SPA and hotel, he taught us that this is how to make the house look more different from others.

Just my view and thoughts.

haha okay, we've walked past it a couple of times but it alw hav tt 'aura' around e place n we peep in n den decided ok we shall nt go in. ok shall make it a point for us to drop in n hav a browse thru their catalogues.

thanks! =)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
yup, we probably gg to do up decals like YOUR FEATURE WALL! its gorgeous. =)

ya.. e room is like too dark. tink we might need to put a standing lamp or sth inside.. **** inpractical but we're suckers for aesthetics. hahaha

thanks! really love it too! we use the pic for our rom invites and customized it into a decal... let me know if u need any contacts

cant wait to see the final prdt of your giant WIW!

acid wash was done yesterday and floor laminate installed today.

DSC04216.jpg

MBR floor laminate

DSC04217.jpg

'multi-purpose room' floor laminate. its called multipurpose room cos we still dun hav a definite use for e rm yet. its a gym, its a guest rm, its a relax rm. its everyth.

DSC04209.jpg

spanking clean common toilet.

DSC04211.jpg

spanking clean mbr toilet.

toilets look much nicer aft e wash.

Ok, we did a quick check on the tiles aft the wash juz now. Hmm, we're quite disturbed by the tiling workmanship! Is it normal to feel sharp edge when we run our hands over e tiles? does tt constitute uneven tiling workmanship?

Then, grouting are kinda darkened and some places grouting is nt there. definitely needs touchin up for tis.

To be fair, i came home and compared to my house tiles and my hosue tiles now oso gt uneveness, but they're sort of rounded edge so doesnt feel as bad. and the distance between tiles is so much bigger than my new place now so there are gd points bout the tiling workmanship too.

I'm wondering if im being over-picky or im realli nt suppsode to feel the sharp edge uneveness. anybody can kindly advice? or any henner's out there can tell me if u hav e same probs?

DSC04208.jpg

and cant see fr the photo, should hav taken a closeup, there are patches of darkened like dirt patches on tiles here n there. dun tink they're suppposde to b there aft acid washing rite?

need advice!

Edited by junwei84

Hey there! my bathroom tiles has one or two that feels slightly uneven, since it's just slightly uneven, it didn't bother me. My tiles' surface was uneven to start with, so... haha :P i guess for your old home, the tiles are ceramic tiles? i noticed that ceramic tiles have round edges while those tiles we used now have sharper finishes at the edges. This was something that someone in this forum highlighted b4 (forgot who liao :P)

Kitchen ones, i didn't feel uneven-ness at least for the area i walk on :P my tiles have some patches too after acid wash, just ask them to clean during the final cleaning. some i wash on my own.

as for grout, after acid wash some came off, they will patch up after that de... no worries :)

if in doubt, dun be shy, just discuss with Henry on what's the best solutions :)

Edited by marshmallow

DSC04217.jpg

'multi-purpose room' floor laminate. its called multipurpose room cos we still dun hav a definite use for e rm yet. its a gym, its a guest rm, its a relax rm. its everyth.

I'm wondering if im being over-picky or im realli nt suppsode to feel the sharp edge uneveness. anybody can kindly advice?

DSC04208.jpg

and cant see fr the photo, should hav taken a closeup, there are patches of darkened like dirt patches on tiles here n there. dun tink they're suppposde to b there aft acid washing rite?

need advice!

eh, seems like our reno moving in tandem huh. my laminates are done up too.

is a everyth huh. haha... nicely put. me too have 1 rm as such.

am no henner club member but yea, still have grouting between the tiles. haha

take note and keep track of those u feel is uneven or rough workmanship and feedback to contractor. usually, they will come in for minor patch up work, replacing of tiles and of course another round of acid wash. so guess for now, is fine.

Hey there! my bathroom tiles has one or two that feels slightly uneven, since it's just slightly uneven, it didn't bother me. My tiles' surface was uneven to start with, so... haha :P i guess for your old home, the tiles are ceramic tiles? i noticed that ceramic tiles have round edges while those tiles we used now have sharper finishes at the edges. This was something that someone in this forum highlighted b4 (forgot who liao :P)

Kitchen ones, i didn't feel uneven-ness at least for the area i walk on :P my tiles have some patches too after acid wash, just ask them to clean during the final cleaning. some i wash on my own.

as for grout, after acid wash some came off, they will patch up after that de... no worries :)

if in doubt, dun be shy, just discuss with Henry on what's the best solutions :)

hi marshie,

thanks for the advice!

yep, gave Henry a call last nite, he said he'll go up today to hav a check. will listen to wad he says aft tt. haha. din feel v comfortable with the sharp edges. doesnt feel safe. will listen to what he has to say.

thanks! hope our hse will turn out as nice as yours!

eh, seems like our reno moving in tandem huh. my laminates are done up too.

is a everyth huh. haha... nicely put. me too have 1 rm as such.

am no henner club member but yea, still have grouting between the tiles. haha

take note and keep track of those u feel is uneven or rough workmanship and feedback to contractor. usually, they will come in for minor patch up work, replacing of tiles and of course another round of acid wash. so guess for now, is fine.

haha, yes, its an 'everyth room'! speakin of laminates, do your laminates like creak at some places when u walk over? is tt normal?

r u waiting for carpentry to be up too? waitin v sian hor.. haha

yep, will do a thorough check over e wknd on tiles that we feel are bad worksmanship and feedback.

Thanks!

haha yea lor let him go and see first, explain to him on your reason and your concern and see how to work out a best solution :) sometimes hor (for myself lah), if the work required is too tedious to rectify something i can live with, i'll rather not do it :P maybe becos i m lazy haha :lol:

anyway, all the best! you're in your final lap liao... jiayou! :thumbs up:

i think normal for grouting to change color after acid wash... as for the dark prints, try using thinner etc and see if can remove first... my house kitchen, the tiles are black but like after that there were patches of white.. some of it we managed to clean using thinner, others through gradual cleaning.

i dont recall that tiles supposed to be uneven one lei... but ask henry first ba...

oh, and remember that i told u laminates takes a while to settle down... so u will feel as if u floating on it for a while (nt sure about the creaking part though)

and i think we have the same sink for our common toilet!

i think normal for grouting to change color after acid wash... as for the dark prints, try using thinner etc and see if can remove first... my house kitchen, the tiles are black but like after that there were patches of white.. some of it we managed to clean using thinner, others through gradual cleaning.

i dont recall that tiles supposed to be uneven one lei... but ask henry first ba...

oh, and remember that i told u laminates takes a while to settle down... so u will feel as if u floating on it for a while (nt sure about the creaking part though)

and i think we have the same sink for our common toilet!

yep, Henry juz called and say he juz had a check through our tiles and should be rectifiable, no worries. we'll mark out for him where we feel is uneven and he'll get his guys to do it. =)

since u're so experienced in cleanin tiles, come our hse clean for us ? haha

same sink for common toilet ah? haha.. i tink wall mounted roudn ones nt much options around, quite easy to get e same! haha.. u nv take any photo of ur toilet sinks la so i also dunno !

updates:

henry has checked thru e tiles and will get tiler to replace those he feels should b replaced.

our doors were up today.

DSC04270.jpg

main entrance door.. seems like e colour doesnt really match. like both e gate n door are too dark..

door wasnt realli installed properly.. when closed, the top of e door is protrudin out of the door frame by bout 1/2 a cm. feedbacked to henry and he'll settle it..

hope it'll b sui sui aft tt!

DSC04269.jpg

from the inside..

DSC04267.jpg

mbr door.. seems nice.. matches w e floor laminate colour..

overall, the doors feel v light! din know veneer doors were so light.. feels like paper instead of wood n nt worth e $ paid.. haha.. wadever, looks nice can liao la.

updates:

henry has checked thru e tiles and will get tiler to replace those he feels should b replaced.

our doors were up today.

DSC04270.jpg

main entrance door.. seems like e colour doesnt really match. like both e gate n door are too dark..

door wasnt realli installed properly.. when closed, the top of e door is protrudin out of the door frame by bout 1/2 a cm. feedbacked to henry and he'll settle it..

hope it'll b sui sui aft tt!

DSC04269.jpg

from the inside..

DSC04267.jpg

overall, the doors feel v light! din know veneer doors were so light.. feels like paper instead of wood n nt worth e $ paid.. haha.. wadever, looks nice can liao la.

Veneer by itself is already expensive. Normally quoted veneer door is those hollow type, unless u want it solid, then prepare to paid for twice as much as a hollow veneer door.

DSC04267.jpg

LOL if you are used to those solid wood doors... probably will feel light at first... that's the same initial feeling i got too :P but like what you said, look nice can liao :lol: this is not main door afterall~

LOL if you are used to those solid wood doors... probably will feel light at first... that's the same initial feeling i got too :P but like what you said, look nice can liao :lol: this is not main door afterall~

haha, our main door oso veneer door wor, though its heavier? probably cos its thicker i tink? nt too sure though..

yep, Henry juz called and say he juz had a check through our tiles and should be rectifiable, no worries. we'll mark out for him where we feel is uneven and he'll get his guys to do it. =)

since u're so experienced in cleanin tiles, come our hse clean for us ? haha

same sink for common toilet ah? haha.. i tink wall mounted roudn ones nt much options around, quite easy to get e same! haha.. u nv take any photo of ur toilet sinks la so i also dunno !

help u clean house ah...... how much u paying me? hahahaaha....

hey, gg to have house warming in nov... come k! will message u nearer the date... can i assume ur phone number no change for the past 9 years? ha!

updates:

our doors were up today.

wah, henry so good ah? still volunteer to replace the tiles!

Better than mine loh!

Ur door is probably not solid. I use hollow veneer only for my storeroom.

My bedroom doors are solid veneer ones