Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eekenji

Second Home ~ Tampines 5I

1k for hacking this lintel beam, hope it include PE endorsement. :bangwall:

1000miles, 1k is including the engagement fee of PE .. still expensive for this little RC hanger, not sure what's the use of this hanger, I really cannot see any purpose of building this thing on the ceiling. :dunno:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

:: ID / Contractor Selection - Let's summarize ::

* ID from Linewerkz : Discussed with them during one of the expo exhibition, total quote was 65K and missing many items. We dropped this during the first quotation.

* ID Loyd Pek from D Home : Emailed on 24 July and met up in his office on 28 July, know him from renotalk and quite like his design style but he was quite busy and will be out for a month. We didn't continue to follow-up with him as we believed that he cannot meet our tight budget.

* Contractor Alan from Aian : Emailed on 24 July and 1st met up on 4 August and 2nd met up on 4 September. He was quite popular in renotalk and many recommendations .. but my husband didn't have click with him although I quite keen to work with him. His quote was quite reasonable except the L box price.

* ID Kelvin Teo : Emailed on 24 Jul but I cancelled the meet up as I believed our budget will be too low for him to design for us .. though I quite like his works.

* ID from Summit Design : Emailed on 26 July and 1st met up on 27 July and 2nd met up on 9 August. The ID we met was quite a young and pretty lady :P . The final quotation still not able to meet our budget .. a bit higher compared to contractor - 32k without including carpentry works.

* ID from Artistroom : Emailed on 28 July and 1st met up on 1 August at their office. Was recommended from one of the t-blog owner, we didn't go further for 2nd meet up because we understand that their price was in high side and their design might not suit us. They are very "artist" and can have many special ideas.

* ID New Nyew : Saw her design in renotalk and impressed with her works. Emailed her on 28 July and meet up at her place on 2 August. During the meet up, she brought us to see other units that she has designed. Both me and my husband quite keen to work with her but overall quotation was on high side .. Too bad that we cannot work with her due to our tight budget.

* ID Jimmy from 3D Innovative : My husband was the one who emailed him on 31 July, and we met up on the same day. He was also one of the ID highly recommended in renotalk and his quotation was at good price which can meet our overall budget of 45K. His revised quotation was sent 2 days later after we confirmed with our current contractor .. else we probably will sign up with him.

* Contractor Kevin Tee : Very popular in renotalk, others called him as Mr K. Emailed him on 5 August and meet up on 14 August .. as expected, his quotation is over our budget and we didn't proceed further.

* Contractor Sky : Recommended by my friend, he helped her to do her place and was quite okay. We only contacted through email and phone, no chance to meet. Quotation is still higher than our budget.

* Carpenter Ah Tong : Recommended by my colleague. Emailed him on 5 August and meet up on 9 August National Day. Immediately confirmed him after received his quotation on few days later ... he also provided some 3d hand drawings and his price was quite reasonable as compared to IDs and contractors. We decided to engage him to do all the carpentry works for our new home.

* Contractor Ah Huat : Recommended by my colleague, he helped her to do for her mother's place. Emailed him on 18 August and 1st meet up on 16 August. We meet him again on 5 September after received his quotation. His quotation didn't breakdown into different items and most are lump sum into one amount, quite different from other quotations that we have received. And everything is written in Chinese, he was not good in paper works. Overall quotation was very close to Jimmy from 3D Innovative, which able to meet our budget of 45K including carpentry works .. and at the end we confirmed with him to be our contractor for all the demolition, masonry, plumbing and electrical works.

Some other IDs that I have considered including : Inside Living, EHKA, Fervor Design, FSI, Fuse Concept, Museum ID ... but I didn't send any emails to them, quite tired to meet so many IDs.

In summary, we shortlisted our contractor based on quotation given due to tight budget of 45K. i.e. have no opportunity to get an ID to do renovation for us. Using contractor will need ourselves to do design and on-site management, my husband almost everyday going to site. There is no guides or advices given when choosing tiles etc and we have to go by our own to shop for stuffs ... i.e. there is pros and cons of hiring contractor vs hiring ID. Will give more reviews again for our contractor Ah Huat and carpenter Ah Thong after our house is done .. to be continue.

* ID from Linewerkz : Discussed with them during one of the expo exhibition, total quote was 65K and missing many items. We dropped this during the first quotation.

* ID Loyd Pek from D Home : Emailed on 24 July and met up in his office on 28 July, know him from renotalk and quite like his design style but he was quite busy and will be out for a month. We didn't continue to follow-up with him as we believed that he cannot meet our tight budget.

* Contractor Alan from Aian : Emailed on 24 July and 1st met up on 4 August and 2nd met up on 4 September. He was quite popular in renotalk and many recommendations .. but my husband didn't have click with him although I quite keen to work with him. His quote was quite reasonable except the L box price.

* ID Kelvin Teo : Emailed on 24 Jul but I cancelled the meet up as I believed our budget will be too low for him to design for us .. though I quite like his works.

* ID from Summit Design : Emailed on 26 July and 1st met up on 27 July and 2nd met up on 9 August. The ID we met was quite a young and pretty lady :P . The final quotation still not able to meet our budget .. a bit higher compared to contractor - 32k without including carpentry works.

* ID from Artistroom : Emailed on 28 July and 1st met up on 1 August at their office. Was recommended from one of the t-blog owner, we didn't go further for 2nd meet up because we understand that their price was in high side and their design might not suit us. They are very "artist" and can have many special ideas.

* ID New Nyew : Saw her design in renotalk and impressed with her works. Emailed her on 28 July and meet up at her place on 2 August. During the meet up, she brought us to see other units that she has designed. Both me and my husband quite keen to work with her but overall quotation was on high side .. Too bad that we cannot work with her due to our tight budget.

* ID Jimmy from 3D Innovative : My husband was the one who emailed him on 31 July, and we met up on the same day. He was also one of the ID highly recommended in renotalk and his quotation was at good price which can meet our overall budget of 45K. His revised quotation was sent 2 days later after we confirmed with our current contractor .. else we probably will sign up with him.

* Contractor Kevin Tee : Very popular in renotalk, others called him as Mr K. Emailed him on 5 August and meet up on 14 August .. as expected, his quotation is over our budget and we didn't proceed further.

* Contractor Sky : Recommended by my friend, he helped her to do her place and was quite okay. We only contacted through email and phone, no chance to meet. Quotation is still higher than our budget.

* Carpenter Ah Tong : Recommended by my colleague. Emailed him on 5 August and meet up on 9 August National Day. Immediately confirmed him after received his quotation on few days later ... he also provided some 3d hand drawings and his price was quite reasonable as compared to IDs and contractors. We decided to engage him to do all the carpentry works for our new home.

* Contractor Ah Huat : Recommended by my colleague, he helped her to do for her mother's place. Emailed him on 18 August and 1st meet up on 16 August. We meet him again on 5 September after received his quotation. His quotation didn't breakdown into different items and most are lump sum into one amount, quite different from other quotations that we have received. And everything is written in Chinese, he was not good in paper works. Overall quotation was very close to Jimmy from 3D Innovative, which able to meet our budget of 45K including carpentry works .. and at the end we confirmed with him to be our contractor for all the demolition, masonry, plumbing and electrical works.

Some other IDs that I have considered including : Inside Living, EHKA, Fervor Design, FSI, Fuse Concept, Museum ID ... but I didn't send any emails to them, quite tired to meet so many IDs.

In summary, we shortlisted our contractor based on quotation given due to tight budget of 45K. i.e. have no opportunity to get an ID to do renovation for us. Using contractor will need ourselves to do design and on-site management, my husband almost everyday going to site. There is no guides or advices given when choosing tiles etc and we have to go by our own to shop for stuffs ... i.e. there is pros and cons of hiring contractor vs hiring ID. Will give more reviews again for our contractor Ah Huat and carpenter Ah Thong after our house is done .. to be continue.

I did my whole kitchen 2 years plus ago. Despite having ID, I ended sourcing the tiles, handles, laminates by myself.

For tiles, you can take a look at this website http://www.sbh.com.sg/index.aspx?MenuID=3

Soon Bee Huat has lots of tiles to choose and from diff countries. I went for the Spain one cause the display piece shown its durable. They have very nice showroom with cabinets and bathroom upstairs. You can get some ideas from there. A mini play area for the kids too.

The other one is Hafary at balestier.

Remember not to get rough tiles for kitchen. The oil will stain and it's hard to scrub.

Laminates, do go for Formica or Lamitak. Though your carpenter may say ex, but they do have lower range which is the same price as Jennings. But definitely more durable. To test it, bring back some samples and scratch it with rough object like keys. I happened to place the tiles with my laminates samples from 4 companies and at the end, I choose Formica because it's really tough and thicker. And it's $40 per piece, standard pricing quotes by most ID.

Hope this helps.

I forgot to add. Do seek advise from the staff in all the tiles shop you visit and ask them which tiles suits toilet, kitchen and living areas. It really helps to jot down all details.

I did my whole kitchen 2 years plus ago. Despite having ID, I ended sourcing the tiles, handles, laminates by myself. ... Hope this helps.

I forgot to add. Do seek advise from the staff in all the tiles shop you visit and ask them which tiles suits toilet, kitchen and living areas. It really helps to jot down all details.

Thanks Artist123, we actually have choose the tiles and we have also visited SBH at Jurong East and Hafary at Defu .. but we are not sure if the tiles we choose can fit the theme we like, just try our luck : )

We didn't choose the rough tiles for kitchen, we go for easier maintenance.

For laminates, we have yet to choose .. will check with our carpenter about the brands you mentioned, thanks for your advices .. :yamseng:

Hi,

Can I ask for the contacts of the above three? Thanks!

1000miles, 1k is including the engagement fee of PE .. still expensive for this little RC hanger, not sure what's the use of this hanger, I really cannot see any purpose of building this thing on the ceiling. :dunno:

The intention is to support any load from the top so that it won't go to the door frame, but by looking at the big beam that almost cover all to the ceiling, it overkill.

Sometime, when I see drawings, I don't know want to laugh or so over the detail the designer gave. :dunno:

Make a schedule on week by week basis so that you can keep track of the work. Get them to tell you what they are going to do week by week. That should make you easier to tracking

hi eekenji, mind to share which ID/Contractor you've engaged for your renovation?

also what software you used to draw the topview layout floorplan?

Thanks very much

Hi,

Can I ask for the contacts of the above three? Thanks!

Hi, possible to PM me contacts of Alan from Aian, carpenter Ah Tong and contractor Ah Huat? Thanks so much!

Hi all, have PMed the contacts .. thanks.

The intention is to support any load from the top so that it won't go to the door frame, but by looking at the big beam that almost cover all to the ceiling, it overkill.

Sometime, when I see drawings, I don't know want to laugh or so over the detail the designer gave. :dunno:

1000miles, yeah ... the HDB officer also mentioned that it can be removed. Our contractor will help us to find the PE and get approval to hack this RC hanger.

Make a schedule on week by week basis so that you can keep track of the work. Get them to tell you what they are going to do week by week. That should make you easier to tracking

1000miles, I didn't have a details of week by week basis of workflow ... I leave it to my husband to monitor and coordinate. Now I am 8 months of pregnancy, not convenience to go to the site. My husband just keep track using his iphone to take picture, may be I will ask him if he want to have the week by week schedule. Well, thanks first for the advice :rolleyes:

Took some photos during key collection last Monday, owners haven't finished move out everything :

They will clear everything by the same day ..

1351857234-2829951857_n.jpg

Edited by eekenji

Renovation Day 5 – After 3 days of hacking, the debris are being disposed and most of the materials such as tiles are uplifting to the site. Workers started to apply the cement screed and sands …

1351857236-3628827429_n.jpg

3D design of Playroom feature walls and sliding door

The 3D drawing of feature walls, sliding door and cabinets done by my husband, this will be carpentry works required for playroom. We showed this to our carpenter on the concept we want ...

1352292483-3163024661.jpg

3D design of Living Room TV console and Platform

The 3D drawing of TV console and platform done by my husband, we showed this to our carpenter and we want the console able to integrate with the platform. The platform can also served as one of the storage area.

1352292482-3476351903_m.jpg