Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
macuser77

Our Second Reno Journey

Hi Sarah,

Saw pics of your home on Flickr, very personalized and it really has some vintage feel.

So what happened to the tv console you initially ordered ? Can be refunded ?

Thanks mac. I saved a fortune on furnishing my current flat by mixing some of my old furnitures/paintings/posters/wine holder/balcony wall lamp with my new purchases.

I exchanged the TV console with a small mirror and this bench from Scanteak's new Prologue series:

3bye.jpg

fell in live with it the moment I saw it and the more pricey bench with two-way swivel backrest. Bought this instead of the one with backrest coz I didnt like the small gold screw they used :-) and I think it might need some fine tuning to make it more durable.

I am not doing the bench justice by hiding it in my bedroom in between the vintage wardrobe and the custom made half height wardrobe, was planning to place it at the balcony but my balcony gets a lot of direct sunlight in the morning till midday. 会心痛 :-)

Edited by sarah833

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

ID hunting:

The 5 months of ID hunting was fun, but mentally exhausting. Like what some forum members said, it can be addictive initially. However, in the long run, it'll just wear you out and thereafter losing interest in the reno.

We will actually eliminate those who don't initiate a site visit. This is a fundamental error for reno of resale flat as the ID/contractor will never get a feel of how the flat looks like, its present condition, and how the design will blend.

Furthermore, the quote will never be accurate.

Anyway, to say the least, our field report (in sequential order):

1) D*** Design (approached in expo):

As we stay near expo, we decided to make a trip down to some reno fair. Though we've heard (and even experienced) some horrific stories on some IDs exhibitors, we thought it was no harm giving it a try since we have gained some experience from our last reno.

Design: We were turned off by the space planning and design as it was not practical, and the "ID" actually said "Actually nice designs are never practical." Hello....I thought IDs are trained to make nice designs practical ???? And no site visit.

Price: After eliminating redundant items, price is acceptable. There was no GST as they claimed that it will be absorbed by the company. hmm...some gimmick ? Anyway we've eliminated them based on the bad space and design layout.

2) I*ag* (approached in expo) :

Design : Didn't get to see it as the "ID" kept changing the appointment date (not in advance, but changed on the date itself !). Well, she was only wasting her own time as she made a trip to our flat to take measurements, pictures etc.

Price : As above

3) **zt & *e*ax :

Our first reno was done by them. We were greenhorns then, thus easily convinced to sign. Carpentry was so so, only after numerous lashings on the "ID". As for loose items such as taps, sinks etc, they became loose within 1 month. Leakages in the MBR sink also started within a month. We called the "ID" and plumbers. They came, turned on the tap, and observed for about 20 seconds. No leakages spotted (hello...the leak is slow and gradual..cannot be seen within 20s), and left.

Anyway we have decided to take another shot, as we are familiar with their "way of doing business", and also hoping to get a good discount on the basis that we are recurring customers.

Design : Team of 3 came over to take pics and measurements, was kind of impressed then. However, design was very amateur, typical cut and paste, terrible space planning. To say the least, you see a R&R home, you see all.(Their design was much better when they were in Joo Chiat with their ex chief designer)

ID wasn't familiar with HDB's regulation :

Me: Can we install 2 aircon compressors ? (our flat doesn't come with the new aircon ledges)

"ID": Gotta check. Do the flats in your vicinity have 2 compressors ?

Me: Have, but only a small handful

"ID": Means can lor.

Enough said. I realised they can only impress by telling customers they use high tech system e.g Blum (even Mr. K uses Blum lor). No substance in my opinion.

Price : Ok after removing redundant items.

4) F*** *p*** I**ent :

"ID" is a nice chap, very meticulous.

Design: Space planning was ok. Wanted to engage his services. Unfortunately, he took the initiative to show us the 3D design of a small part, and we ran off immediately as it wasn't to our liking.

Price : Very expensive. ID not willing to give discounts as he assumed there will be variation works.

There were a few others, but we're too lazy to comment on them.

Hi, I strongly agreed, contractor have their own ID personal also.

Thanks mac. I saved a fortune on furnishing my current flat by mixing some of my old furnitures/paintings/posters/wine holder/balcony wall lamp with my new purchases.

I exchanged the TV console with a small mirror and this bench from Scanteak's new Prologue series:

3bye.jpg

fell in live with it the moment I saw it and the more pricey bench with two-way swivel backrest. Bought this instead of the one with backrest coz I didnt like the small gold screw they used :-) and I think it might need some fine tuning to make it more durable.

I am not doing the bench justice by hiding it in my bedroom in between the vintage wardrobe and the custom made half height wardrobe, was planning to place it at the balcony but my balcony gets a lot of direct sunlight in the morning till midday. 会心痛 :-)

Hi

We love scanteak stuffs. They're reasonably priced and very well made. If not for the colours we would have gotten our stuffs from them.

Hi

We love scanteak stuffs. They're reasonably priced and very well made. If not for the colours we would have gotten our stuffs from them.

Aiyo I had a number of issues with the products I ordered from them (posted my experiences on retch's blog page 14) . The delivery guy had to make three trips to my place due to qualiry issues. Just remembered the same delivery guy didnt bring up the Vinkel bedframe during his second visit due to discoloration at the headboard coz he knew I will reject. I give them 100%, for their after sales service thoigh.

3bye.jpg

Hi Sarah!

You said you enjoyed sitting on the floor to watch tv. Just curious.. Wouldn't your bottom feel painful from sitting for too long?? Or cos you practice yoga so sitting on the floor is no issue haha?

I don't think I can watch tv by sitting on the floor. I am a very lazy person and like to sleep on the sofa hehe. And craning my neck to watch tv will give me neck and back ache hehe.

Btw my hubs asked if you bidded for the licence plate number ?

Edited by macuser77

Hi Sarah!You said you enjoyed sitting on the floor to watch tv. Just curious.. Wouldn't your bottom feel painful from sitting for too long?? Or cos you practice yoga so sitting on the floor is no issue haha?I don't think I can watch tv by sitting on the floor. I am a very lazy person and like to sleep on the sofa hehe. And craning my neck to watch tv will give me neck and back ache hehe.Btw my hubs asked if you bidded for the licence plate number ?

haha I dont have much cushions on my butt but I find sitting on the floor very comfy! Guess yoga helps :) I cant do long sitted meditation though because my mind will start wondering away! And ended up stepping into a longkang while doing a walking meditation in india because my knees tensed up after trying to stay focus on the breathing and every step I made (not supposed to admire the scenery around you during the walk)

Nope I didnt bid for the number plate. Requested the car agent to keep the car plate after I sent my car to the scrapyard.

Edited by sarah833

Hi Sarah,

Saw pics of your home on Flickr, very personalized and it really has some vintage feel.

So what happened to the tv console you initially ordered ? Can be refunded ?

Macuser77 - You saw the grand entrance to Sarah's bedroom? *drool*!

Sarah - Is it possible to paste a piece of black plywood at the back of the tv console to block the cables?

Hi June

I thought of using a plywood or a product from IKEA like the plastic bag holder to hide the cables before, but think its

sufficent with the Monster cable management system I saw on Amazon. I can close one eyes to the mess behind the

shelf :)

This was the door that got me drooling for months, I even contacted two suppliers in America asking for the cost of the sliding

door mechanism and gave up in the end as I wasnt sure if I can find a carpenter to customise the door and install it

http://www.housetweaking.com/2011/02/10/diy-sliding-barn-door-part-i/

think it fits your rustic theme as well?

Story of every rt member, aesthetics n functionality.

Now I must bo pi my wc works properly also as we never saw it in action before.

two commonly used words on RT: Poison and Drool lol

The amazon shopping thread is poison indeed but it seemed very complicated to figure out which products are eligible for the free gloabal shopping. Gg To spend one fine day to try ordering the monster cable management kit and a yoga mat. And maybe a panini griller since I already have a giant transformer! Bought a Bodium coffee grinder for sgd30 two years ago while Tangs was retailing at about sgd100.

And we bought our sofa and tv console from Commune:

My wife and I would like to thank Vannesa for suggesting Commune at Defu Lane. Didn't know they've got hidden gems. We were actually not so keen on Commune as the items on display at Millenia is pretty limited.

Despite RetchLow's not so pleasant experience with Commune, we have decided to take the risk and purchased our sofa and tv console from them (and yes the sofa has buttons ! ). Reason is that we have realised it wasn't easy for us to find a simple, comfortable and yet good looking sofa. We have actually short-listed a few, and there was still something wrong somewhere.

Congrats on finding the right one at Commune!!! Woohoo!! Btw...what else did you discover in the Defu Lane area? Do share!

The sofa is very similar to the one tt I've from Star Living..it's less den half of Commune's price =x

Console look nice!

But the choice of fabric at star living is limited :(

two commonly used words on RT: Poison and Drool lol

The amazon shopping thread is poison indeed but it seemed very complicated to figure out which products are eligible for the free gloabal shopping. Gg To spend one fine day to try ordering the monster cable management kit and a yoga mat. And maybe a panini griller since I already have a giant transformer! Bought a Bodium coffee grinder for sgd30 two years ago while Tangs was retailing at about sgd100.

actually it's not that hard there is a little check box at the side that says global shipping , check that n it will auto filter for you !

My Toto dream is gone:

For those who're keen on getting Toto toilet fittings, they're currently having 35% storewide sale at W. Atelier. Forgot to ask when will this GSS offer last, as we were quite frustrated with the "everything also don't have replies".

We were so excited when they informed us on this 35% thing. Managed to choose everything within an hour, and then were told stocks will only arrive in end July-mid August.

As we were already very late in buying our sanitary fittings, and I think Mr K will scold us if we drag any further, so we had to say good bye to Toto.

We went to Hafary to get our sanitary fittings instead. On a side note, the sales rep was shocked to see us, as we had chosen our tiles in mid march, and it was only now that we had started buying sanitary fittings This shows how good we are in procrastinating.

Macuser...need your advice...i probably can wait till end july - mid august for my sanitary.... what is the average price of the taps, bowls and sinks at toto after the discount? Also.... in comparison with hafary...big difference in price and quality? The sanitary bit i am very concerned about...and have zero experience