Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

congrats on your wedding! seems like your renovation and furniture buying is pretty expensive, seems like mine too, either do it now or regret later.

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yawnnnn..

Really can't be bothered with my wedding preparation already... So many things to do... Ahhhhh...

Our house defects have since been rectified some time ago... For everyone's reference sake, it took 2 weeks to complete..

My dear CFO is once again seated beside me trying to collate all our purchases on #TaoBao.. But that shall be a topic for another day.. A lot of things I want to update everyone but I must resist and continue on the chronological order of my renovation journey...

QUICK UPDATE ON MORE PURCHASES

We bought a Weldenbo Carl fabric sofa (L212 x D89 x H70) & the large-size powder-pinkish DLM table for our living area from #Grafunkt about a month ago because they were running an offer.. Before discount, the sofa costs a WHOPPING $2800.. CFO & I managed to get it at $2200.. :) And we went ahead with the purchase only because I am so hopelessly in love with the fabric sofa and it's oak wooden pencil legs.. hehehe :) Even now, I would swoon over its prettiness... :wub: The 100% cotton light grey fabric has a really cooling effect when you sit on it as it doesn't retain body heat..

And as for the DLM (Don't Leave Me) table, we would like to think that it will offer a nice splash of pastel colour to our living room too... :) We might match the DLM table with the previously purchased #Muuto oak coffee table... Got the DLM table at $375, compared to usual price of $441... Yes yes I know I am a spendthrift... I'm just starting to realise actually.. I usually don't buy anything for myself one lei.. :rolleyes:

Light grey #Grafunkt fabric sofa + Pink DLM table from #Grafunkt:

gallery_54206_8_1582.jpg

Moving on, CFO & I also decided to do away with the custom-made nyatoh wall planter and replace it with 2 sets of #Grafunkt Circus... with #CalvinTan's blessings of course hehe :) 1x taller unit (H134) and 1x shorter unit (H78).. The taller unit will be custom-spray-painted in mint green & the shorter unit in pastel blue.. :P Original price of $960 ($495+$465) reduced to $800.. A little cheaper than #CalvinTan's nyatoh wall planter... Heh heh..

#Grafunkt Circus (1x tall unit & 1x shorter unit) from #Grafunkt:

gallery_54206_8_99481.jpg

gallery_54206_8_256007.jpg

Last but not least, CFO & I finally decided on our dining area pendant lights... We are getting the #Miniforms Slope Light which resembles an inverted ice-cream cone! hehehe.. :) I realise that I am going a bit oak-bonkers in my furnishing.. :P Please pardon my taste... We went for a combination of 3 pendant lights.. Decided on having 1x light grey, 1x white & 1x mustard yellow in differing shapes for more contrast at the pre-dominantly white dining area...

However #Grafunkt didn't carry the mustard yellow version, so had to buy 1 piece from #XTRA (saw it before on one of our trips there)... Costs approximately $270 per light... *cue sound of pocket burning*

#Miniforms Slope Light from #Grafunkt (mustard yellow version from #XTRA):

gallery_54206_8_57587.jpg

gallery_54206_8_62042.png

Will probably be too busy to blog until after my wedding on Sunday!

Fingers crossed that everything goes well!!! And then after that...

I CAN FOCUS ALL MY TIME AND ENERGIES ON MY BELOVED RENOVATION!!! WOOHOO! :D

Edited by leonjennawong

• Like 2

I also using tempered glass. Aesthetic wise, speaks for itself. Very very nice, to us and satisfied ...!

Guess we just have to be careful since all materials have threshold and we have the awareness on how to maintain it.

Worst case, just get a new one :D

• Like 1

Interesting short journey so far!

My opinion on your Rinnai inner flame hob. I totally disagree with your ID on tempered glass hobs. It might look just that bit sleeker but there are points to consider. A few considerations on tempered glass:

• can't take extreme heat and might crack if any boiling hot pot is placed directly onto it.
  • can't take high impact hits too.
  • scratches are permanent.
  • this is only for the Rinnai tempered glass hob. Notice there's a rubber lining between the stainless steel strips and glass at the top and bottom of the hob? Rubber tends to disintegrate over time. It's a natural process but that process gets accelerated with heat, corrosive liquids and also physical impact like rubbing during cleanups. Even if it doesn't disintegrate, there's a fair chance that it could get torn accidentally during cooking/cleaning.

Tempered glass hob can be used but you just have to be more careful during usage and maintenance. My opinion is that the stainless steel hob looks far better than tempered glass and the bonus is it's about half the price too. Anyway, the Scandinavian theme is all about simple clean lines (regardless of material) which the stainless steel version exhibits too. Btw I went through these considerations when choosing my hob too. Hope it helps :)

• Like 3

Awwww..... Thanks so much @AshleyAdams you make me such a happy person... :):) some people have the sweetest mouths... :) I'm glad and sad all at the same time; that you enjoy my blog so much, and yet you ended up having less sleep as a result of it... hahaha... You must have become a zombie the next day.. ;)

Yes you are right, I am indeed buying the vinyl flooring from #Bilrich directly. The vinyl floor installation itself will be done by #Bilrich workers, not #CalvinTan... As they are 2 seperate companies with no tie-ups together..

But the good thing about my ID, #CalvinTan is that he volunteered to liaise with the #Bilrich salesperson directly to get the vinyl floor samples; From there, #CalvinTan suggested a few colours that he thought would be suitable for my scandinavian theme, for CFO & I to decide.. :)

On the actual renovation (though mine haven't start hehehehe too excited!), #CalvinTan will liaise with #Bilrich directly to tell them which period is open for them to come in to lay the flooring... :)

You may want to bring these ideas up to your ID and see if he/she is willing to coordinate the entire flooring installation phase for you! :D Thanks again!

Reading your T-blog is addictive (some more reading from iPhone 4 - crossed eye liao!) that it is now 2am!!

Congratulations on getting the keys. You succeeded in spoiling the momento when you broke the news on keys collection date. I thought you were already there up to that point! Haha.

Anyways, nice 3D drawings, great concept choice and your many many many impulse purchases and being reprimanded on it haha. I can't wait to read on your next progress!!

One question I have on flooring - you ended up buying from Bilrich (?) directly but who will do the installation? If it is not Calvin, does it mean he will reduce his initial quotation? The ID I like is partnering with Power Dekor (China Brand I think) but I love Inovar so I have no idea how to go from there.

If you could share your experience, I would be most grateful!

Right. Goodnight!

Hi Leon & Jenna,

Thank you for posting and recommendation. Do you mind sending me the contact for Calvin and also share your Reno quotation.

Appreciate it. My email is tanw0113@gmail.com.

Cheers

Wen Bin

Edited by TanWenBin

• Like 1

Hi Hi,

Just dropped you a PM.

Nice designs and great follow up of your ID. Love that he is committed and makes a point to get his message across..

Would like to re-renovate my kitchen though we've only been living in our current resale unit for 2yrs.. Hope it is not too small a project for Posh Homes to take.. Thus, appreciate your quote and will contact Calvin should it fits my budget. :)

Cheers! Have a great Monday!

• Like 1

Agree on your fengshui, not knowing is better off than knowing and not following...

We also consider fengshui but give it up.

Just enjoy the reno process and do what we like!

• Like 1

According to oldies, stove have to place far from sink, and stove have to place at south east.

Is that true?

Hello Sporerabbit! haha... I ever had that discussion with my parents on the stove-sink proximity before.. The most practical application I can relate this fengshui requirement to, is a fire-safety concern if and when water from the sink splashes over to a gas stove, somehow extinguishes the flame... And cooking gas continues to come out and accumulate dangerously...

(BTW dear readers, I have just come off a SCDF Fire Safety Manager course and it is useful to know that cooking gas is relatively heavier than air... So it will accumulate at the feet-level)

Assuming that this safety concern is in fact, the very reason that this fengshui requirement is trying to guard against; it is not very applicable in the modern world with better gas stove designs that doesn't allow flames to be put out so easily and also with the in-built automatic gas shut-off devices in mind...

That being said, I still try to give fengshui the benefit of the doubt that there are logical reasons behind their many many requirements... :P

Anyway, it is the first time I have heard of your south-eastern stove conundrum, so I am sorry I can't help you much there... ;)

The final conclusion, summarised and advised before by my dad; is if you choose to follow fengshui, should follow all the way. If not, then better don't go and look at it at all.... :P

• Like 1

lol you are very funny, enjoy reading your updates... I can imagine your excitement.

Btw can you PM me your renovation costs please?? Thank you!!