Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
guojiawen

Our Dream Home @ Woodlands Meadow

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi..Hi

Much appreciated.

Didn't realised you go by the name Karen.

Thanks

Kenny

Hey Kenny,

No prob, hope it helps in your search for an ideal ID :)

Hi, can share the contact of ID and total cost of reno? :P we got a 5 room BTO with similar layout. :)

Hi Kusudama,

Have PM-ed you!

Am planning the kitchen ergonomics at the moment.

Just wondering, anyone have idea if there's concerns in hiding the wine chiller below the built in oven?

Something like the below pic:

KitchenErgonomic.png

Found several websites that basically sets the stage for decorating our dream home in blue :wub:

For "colour blinds" like hubby & myself, it is definitely useful. Setting it in this post so I can come back & refer when shopping for the finer furnishings.

9 fresh ways to decorate in blues

Colour of spring 2014 - Dazzling Blue

Edited by guojiawen

Received my 2nd draft of 3D drawings today but won't be sharing it. No nice pictures for everyone. Sorry!

Asked for the amendments to more classy and simple design but instead of becoming simpler, the 2nd draft is more complicated than the 1st draft :o

Could be my bad as well - asked in particular for this laminate for my TV feature wall (Shown before in my ideas for living room in an earlier post) and asked for changes to the bomb shelter feature wall + shoe cabinets.

082bf638-7f2f-42f3-b88b-a9be87b7b3ef.png

But somehow, my ID changed the TV feature wall to this design (but more yellowish instead of white) and changed the bomb shelter feature wall and shoe cabinet laminate to this kind of design (yellowish instead of white too!) :jawdrop:

I very much preferred the 1st draft of the 3D drawing after the comparison to the 2nd draft. So it shld be another 8 to 10 days to get the 3rd draft of my 3D drawings.

Since we are communicating via emails, I sincerely hope there won't be further mis-communications :wacko: In fact, this time round, I have numbered my requests (previously it was like a laundry list of requests).

Crossing fingers the 3rd draft will turn out to our expectations!

Need advice from everyone - if I only paint one wall in each room blue (different shades in different rooms) to be the "focal" point of the room, how does that sound? Right now, i think all the sides of the walls are painted in blue..

hihi~~ i am gg to paint one of my wall as "coloured" ... as what you are thinking ... haha obviously i think its ok tts y im gg to do tt =X

also, good luck in your 3D drawing! i guess its tough on ur side because everything is via emails ... but even for my case ... its a long to n fro process until we are happy abt it, so hang in there :good:

Received my 2nd draft of 3D drawings today but won't be sharing it. No nice pictures for everyone. Sorry!

Asked for the amendments to more classy and simple design but instead of becoming simpler, the 2nd draft is more complicated than the 1st draft :o

Could be my bad as well - asked in particular for this laminate for my TV feature wall (Shown before in my ideas for living room in an earlier post) and asked for changes to the bomb shelter feature wall + shoe cabinets.

082bf638-7f2f-42f3-b88b-a9be87b7b3ef.png

But somehow, my ID changed the TV feature wall to this design (but more yellowish instead of white) and changed the bomb shelter feature wall and shoe cabinet laminate to this kind of design (yellowish instead of white too!) :jawdrop:

I very much preferred the 1st draft of the 3D drawing after the comparison to the 2nd draft. So it shld be another 8 to 10 days to get the 3rd draft of my 3D drawings.

Since we are communicating via emails, I sincerely hope there won't be further mis-communications :wacko: In fact, this time round, I have numbered my requests (previously it was like a laundry list of requests).

Crossing fingers the 3rd draft will turn out to our expectations!

Need advice from everyone - if I only paint one wall in each room blue (different shades in different rooms) to be the "focal" point of the room, how does that sound? Right now, i think all the sides of the walls are painted in blue..

hihi~~ i am gg to paint one of my wall as "coloured" ... as what you are thinking ... haha obviously i think its ok tts y im gg to do tt =X

also, good luck in your 3D drawing! i guess its tough on ur side because everything is via emails ... but even for my case ... its a long to n fro process until we are happy abt it, so hang in there :good:

Thanks yan01!

Just out of curiosity, how many times did you change ur 3D drawings?

Ours is not stated in our contract. My ID just said usually don't take many drafts, so i take it as unlimited since nothing is in black & white. Of course won't abuse the position also.. hehe.

On second thoughts after receiving the 2nd draft, maybe its a good thing coz now i see the 1st draft in a diff light. Haha.... only going to make minor amendments to our drawing from the first draft now..

Sharing Our Kitchen Planning (and welcoming suggestions of course!)

Spent the last 3 days researching on kitchen ergonomics and realised that the work triangle won't apply in my case. This design is called a kitchen galley design.

Please take this sharing with an open mind, especially if you already cook very frequently at home and find the below planning nonsensical. LOL. Will be happy to learn more from you guys..

Here's our kitchen after minor amendments so you can gauge the orientation of the kitchen (still pending addition of lights under the upper cabinet on the oven side and changing of many of the cupboards into drawers):

updateKitchenJason.jpg

1. Kitchen height - the ideal height is to take our height divide by 2 and + 5cm to that.

As shared by a fellow renotalk blogger

KitchenCounterHeight.jpg

2. Toe kick (In our terms, the kitchen cabinet base) is essential for cooking ergonomics.

Basically, it provides a recess for our feet so we can get close to the counter top without losing our balance. Without that, we will be leaning over more and straining our back, shoulders and arms in the process *ouch*.

3. Planning our storage around the kitchen

Our kitchen is divided into 5 areas - the consumables (food), non consumables (cooking ware), cleaning (sink / wet area), preparation & cooking area.

The most used items shld be placed on the bottom of the top cabinet, and the top of the bottom cabinet, followed by the less frequently used items and finally the rarely used items (working our way up and down respectively).

I find this Blum Dynamic Space Planning page really useful in terms of having an idea what we need to store in a kitchen (especially since this is our first home, and... I don't cook).

So here's our two sides of the kitchen!

This is the fridge, sink and cooker hob side:

KitchenFridgeSide.png

This is the oven side:

KitchenOvenSide.png

All pictures on organising the stuff inside neatly are taken from a super nice website - I heart organising! Loads of tips on keeping our house really neatly organised!

P.s After doing up the planning did I realise that we have more than enough storage in the kitchen for a small family. Haha!

• Like 2

haha i think there is about 5 times ... but we fix our living n kitchen quite fast. its the wardrobe tt changed design many times .. hehehe usually we only do minor changes lyk changing colour to visualise things

Thanks yan01!

Just out of curiosity, how many times did you change ur 3D drawings?

Ours is not stated in our contract. My ID just said usually don't take many drafts, so i take it as unlimited since nothing is in black & white. Of course won't abuse the position also.. hehe.

On second thoughts after receiving the 2nd draft, maybe its a good thing coz now i see the 1st draft in a diff light. Haha.... only going to make minor amendments to our drawing from the first draft now..

awesome planning! haha i didn't plan anything ... i think i will jus dump stuff into it according to my liking ... hehe :notti:

anyway, fyi, be prepared tt the "food prep" & "rdy to serve" areas will be VERY minimal with hob, sink & fridge in a lane. n also the cupboard area above your dish washer is basically 0 becos there is a big water piping there ... on the other hand, the oven side is a total clear space for you to play ard with anything ... jus tt its shorter in length compared to the other side ...

Sharing Our Kitchen Planning (and welcoming suggestions of course!)

Spent the last 3 days researching on kitchen ergonomics and realised that the work triangle won't apply in my case. This design is called a kitchen galley design.

Please take this sharing with an open mind, especially if you already cook very frequently at home and find the below planning nonsensical. LOL. Will be happy to learn more from you guys..

Here's our kitchen after minor amendments so you can gauge the orientation of the kitchen (still pending addition of lights under the upper cabinet on the oven side and changing of many of the cupboards into drawers):

updateKitchenJason.jpg

1. Kitchen height - the ideal height is to take our height divide by 2 and + 5cm to that.

As shared by a fellow renotalk blogger

KitchenCounterHeight.jpg

2. Toe kick (In our terms, the kitchen cabinet base) is essential for cooking ergonomics.

Basically, it provides a recess for our feet so we can get close to the counter top without losing our balance. Without that, we will be leaning over more and straining our back, shoulders and arms in the process *ouch*.

3. Planning our storage around the kitchen

Our kitchen is divided into 5 areas - the consumables (food), non consumables (cooking ware), cleaning (sink / wet area), preparation & cooking area.

The most used items shld be placed on the bottom of the top cabinet, and the top of the bottom cabinet, followed by the less frequently used items and finally the rarely used items (working our way up and down respectively).

I find this Blum Dynamic Space Planning page really useful in terms of having an idea what we need to store in a kitchen (especially since this is our first home, and... I don't cook).

So here's our two sides of the kitchen!

This is the fridge, sink and cooker hob side:

KitchenFridgeSide.png

This is the oven side:

KitchenOvenSide.png

All pictures on organising the stuff inside neatly are taken from a super nice website - I heart organising! Loads of tips on keeping our house really neatly organised!

P.s After doing up the planning did I realise that we have more than enough storage in the kitchen for a small family. Haha!

haha i think there is about 5 times ... but we fix our living n kitchen quite fast. its the wardrobe tt changed design many times .. hehehe usually we only do minor changes lyk changing colour to visualise things

Haha okay.. den i don't feel so bad for asking for revisions to the 3D drawings :notti: