Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ivory

Muddy Mud House

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi ivory,

good to know things are gonna get started at your side. !!

Thanks joyz and HSH21!

Ok today I popped by my place after work and was lucky to find the tilers at work. Kenneth called me twice to clarify certain things so he could push ahead with tiling. When I got to my place, the tilers were busy laying the tiles and was surprised that they actually were very polite and stopped to smile and say hello! :unsure:

I couldnt step into the house, plus Kenneth warned me at least 2 times not to step in until Saturday/Sunday. So, I stood outside at the gate and admired the tiles and their work.

I ask you ah ppl, the tiles look at little tarnished (not scratch but just blur blur at places). Is that normal? Will it go away later? I havent checked with K abt this. Will do so tomoro, cos he will be going down to inspect and tt wld be better cos he will get what i'm telling him once he sees the tiles.

Anyway, K has been very good thus far, and he is always just an sms away! His repliess are always almost instant! I stood there watching the tilers, I kept smsing and disturbing him! I was a little worried abt the tiny gaps btw e tiles so I asked him why some tiles were joined perfectly while others had a tiny gap. Asked him if tt was normally e case.

K's reply: Yup, cause no tiles are 100% of the same size. Some wld be slightly bigger, some smaller. So there should be a tolerance of 0.5 to 1mm in gap size :rolleyes: Hahaha he actually bothered to explain!

Thank you K! :thumbs up:

Edited by ivory

I practically stalked K for the 1st week i tink. Cos the trust is not there yet...Anything u duno or not hapi, juz tell him...if can, he will do. If cannot, he will explain why :rolleyes: He's very straightforward so dun have to wori..If anything goes wrong, he will call u & say got bad news !! Then tell u his solutions, see if u agree boh. Send my regards to him pls! :thumbs up:

Btw, not sure ur tiles are the glossy or matt type. Now is only the inital stage of the reno...after the 1st chemical wash, u will b able to see the tiles much more clearer..Now hor, everything is so dirty, its hard to tell. For their tiling, im quite pleased. Evtime i see my kitchen tiles, i wished i had asked K to re-do my living room tiles for me...

oh... U also read about the case...

Yes...but i nv asked K abt it cos dun wish to bring up bad memories. But he also tells me dat sometimes when customers approach him for quotations, he's able to tell if they r the unreasonable or demanding kind...he would try to reject cos he doesnt wish to make everyone unhappy. I tink his sister wanted to recommend her fren to him & he's not very keen on it cos he's afraid expectations too high, later he cannot meet...

I practically stalked K for the 1st week i tink. Cos the trust is not there yet...Anything u duno or not hapi, juz tell him...if can, he will do. If cannot, he will explain why :notti: He's very straightforward so dun have to wori..If anything goes wrong, he will call u & say got bad news :P Then tell u his solutions, see if u agree boh. Send my regards to him pls! :~

K sends his regards too! Yeah I've started disturbing him since yesterday and he has been very accomodating. Plus he'll call to confirm before making a decision - I like that :seeya:

Btw, not sure ur tiles are the glossy or matt type. Now is only the inital stage of the reno...after the 1st chemical wash, u will b able to see the tiles much more clearer..Now hor, everything is so dirty, its hard to tell. For their tiling, im quite pleased. Evtime i see my kitchen tiles, i wished i had asked K to re-do my living room tiles for me...

My tiles are polished not matt. Today K went down to inspect and he reported that tiles have been done very well - flat! He said that after the chemical wash, the cement stain will go but he has warned us that the buffing mark can be seen. I scared le..I hope this 'buffing mark' wont be too obvious. Apparently, it's a manufacture's defect caused during polishing :lol:

Oh yes, I almost forgot! Can I please announce that Mudster and I are the proud owners of our Simmons Beautyrest mattress! Got it at the Robinson's sale today! :good:

Edited by ivory

Hey everyone. 2 photos that we took yesterday when tiling works commenced. More to come.

290320071hk5.th.jpg

Dining/ Walkway Tiling

Can see the cement stains? Ivory and myself are quite concerned about this.

K mentioned that bomb shelter door is sagging a little, so have to be careful while opening the door during the reno process so that it does not scratch the tiles. Once the bomb shelter feature wall goes up, there should not be a problem coz the door won't open fully anyways. :dancingqueen:

290320072zw7.th.jpg

Dining/Walkway Ceiling

Hmm magnificent walkway ceiling...

Regards,

mudster

290320071gl8.th.jpg

290320072zw7.th.jpg

Hey everyone. 2 photos that we took yesterday when tiling works commenced. More to come.

290320071hk5.th.jpg

Dining/ Walkway Tiling

Can see the cement stains? Ivory and myself are quite concerned about this.

K mentioned that bomb shelter door is sagging a little, so have to be careful while opening the door during the reno process so that it does not scratch the tiles. Once the bomb shelter feature wall goes up, there should not be a problem coz the door won't open fully anyways. :dancingqueen:

290320072zw7.th.jpg

Dining/Walkway Ceiling

Hmm magnificent walkway ceiling...

Regards,

mudster

290320071gl8.th.jpg

290320072zw7.th.jpg

mudster + ivory...congrats on the start of your reno...your location very good..my childhood area..all the best..post more picture....

K sends his regards too! Yeah I've started disturbing him since yesterday and he has been very accomodating. Plus he'll call to confirm before making a decision - I like that :notti:

My tiles are polished not matt. Today K went down to inspect and he reported that tiles have been done very well - flat! He said that after the chemical wash, the cement stain will go but he has warned us that the buffing mark can be seen. I scared le..I hope this 'buffing mark' wont be too obvious. Apparently, it's a manufacture's defect caused during polishing :jawdrop:

Oh yes, I almost forgot! Can I please announce that Mudster and I are the proud owners of our Simmons Beautyrest mattress! Got it at the Robinson's sale today! :dancingqueen:

Yup...actually everytime he calls, im so scared something had gone wrong :D But i rather he call then MIA...

If K says done very well, u can be sure it'll look great...buffing mark...i also duno wats dat :P But at least he lets u noe 1st...do show us if the buffing mark can be seen cos i also curious leh....

Simmons!:good: I like Simmons too...reali super comfy...but dat time, hubby restricted me else i tink i will buy liao...end up we bot from Seahorse :P Good to invest in a good mattress...

[Can see the cement stains? Ivory and myself are quite concerned about this.

K mentioned that bomb shelter door is sagging a little, so have to be careful while opening the door during the reno process so that it does not scratch the tiles. Once the bomb shelter feature wall goes up, there should not be a problem coz the door won't open fully anyways. :jawdrop:

[

Hai...see ur floor makes me tink abt my own living room tiles :bath: Dun have to wori abt the cement stains. The 1st chemical wash will get rid of dat. When the lights are up, 1st chemical wash is over, before the carpentry starts, u will be able to see the full effects. When dat day comes, u will wana drool on ur floor :P When its my reno, i also worry abt the dirt, the stains, the everything....but actually, reno is lidat...very dirty everywhere loh...Hope to see more updates :notti:

ivory..

envy u of having good floor tiles.. mine is nothing to compare to!

Btw.. May i know how much did u spent on the mattress? Which model?

ivory..

envy u of having good floor tiles.. mine is nothing to compare to!

Btw.. May i know how much did u spent on the mattress? Which model?

Thanks Ahblur, nothing to envy. The tiles are pretty much normal looking, but thanks to K's tilers -workmanship is good. :)

Okay, I got Simmons Beautyrest Symphony, Queen for $1728 @ Robinsons yesterday. There was an hourly promotion at 9pm and so was able to get it at that price. Selling price is $2099. You might want to check it out. The Robinsons sale is till tomoro. You might get an even better deal ;)

Simmons!:P I like Simmons too...reali super comfy...but dat time, hubby restricted me else i tink i will buy liao...end up we bot from Seahorse :P Good to invest in a good mattress...

Hai...see ur floor makes me tink abt my own living room tiles :bow: Dun have to wori abt the cement stains. The 1st chemical wash will get rid of dat. When the lights are up, 1st chemical wash is over, before the carpentry starts, u will be able to see the full effects. When dat day comes, u will wana drool on ur floor :P When its my reno, i also worry abt the dirt, the stains, the everything....but actually, reno is lidat...very dirty everywhere loh...Hope to see more updates :good:

Hey Cheesecake, I'm so pleased to see you here more often now :)

We were actually deciding between King Koil and Simmons. The last time we checked out the mattresses at Robinsons was last November. So this time when my dear friend highlighted the spring sale, I had to go check it out. Of course, Mudster and I were still a little reluctant to spend a bomb on the mattress but somehow when well-wishers keep telling us that a good mattress is important, we relented. I really hope that Simmons would prove to be comfortable and relaxing as it claims to be and I can zz in peace. :D

We went down again today, Mudster has taken more pictures. We'll wait for him to update k :deal:

mudster + ivory...congrats on the start of your reno...your location very good..my childhood area..all the best..post more picture....

Hey Ben, thanks for dropping by. Good luck for your reno too! :)

Edited by ivory

31032007tileslivingmt9.th.jpg

Living Room Tiles

Requested for timber(laminate) skirtings but Mr K forgot. Maybe its a blessing in disguise. I feel with our furniture from bar*ng bar*ng, the tiles skirtings will seamlessly blend in. The timber skirtings may not blend in that well. This is what I think. Ivory thinks otherwise. Anywayz, Mr K is willing to hack the skirtings and replace it if necessary.

31032007ceilinglivingva1.th.jpg

Living Room Ceiling

We wanted cove lightings all along. But somewhere along the line think K forgot. Now that the ceiling is up, we realise that there are no cove lights. Think we will bring it up to K tom and see what he says.

31032007worksmbrliving2ie7.th.jpg

Bedroom Works

Some works going on in the master bedroom. See the pile of cement there...BTW the haulage fee is $700. Is that alot?

Think ill post these photos first...more coming...

cheers,

mudster

OK OK...Ivory says partly our fault. We didnt remind Mr K abt the cove lights when he showed us the drawing last week. NVM lor, see what Mr. K says tom. He is quite accomodating and may just improvise on the ceiling works to fit the cove lights...keeping fingers crossed...now for more photos...

31032007tileskitchen1le5.th.jpg

Kitchen Cabinet Base Screeding - Angle 1

See our big kitchen. Ivory better make full use of the big kitchen and do some good cooking everyday... :bow:

31032007tileskitchen2qn5.th.jpg

Kitchen Cabinet Base Screeding - Angle 2

See the pipe. This is where our teka sink will fit. :P

31032007tileskitchenwasqb9.th.jpg

Washing Machine Base Screeding

Our washing machine will sit here...See the kerb? The pipe to the washing machine is covered by the kerb... :deal:

31032007tileskitchenfrimf9.th.jpg

Fridge Base Screeding

Need to buy a big fridge to fit that base...dont u guys think so? :good:

31032007worksmbrtoiletyn0.th.jpg

MBR Toilet Shower Kerb

The MBR toilet is in a mess...

31032007workscomtoilet1au1.th.jpg

Common Toilet Shower Kerb

The common toilet is in a mess also...Hopefully u guys will get to see pleasant images of our toilets in the next few posts...

Phew,

Mudster *tired*

Thanks Mudster darling :bow:

31032007tileskitchen1le5.th.jpg

Kitchen Cabinet Base Screeding - Angle 1

See our big kitchen. Ivory better make full use of the big kitchen and do some good cooking everyday... :good:

Wah Mudster darling, me feeling stressed already! :deal: Don't know if I'll make a good cook :P

31032007worksmbrtoiletyn0.th.jpg

MBR Toilet Shower Kerb

The MBR toilet is in a mess...

31032007workscomtoilet1au1.th.jpg

Common Toilet Shower Kerb

The common toilet is in a mess also...Hopefully u guys will get to see pleasant images of our toilets in the next few posts...

Phew,

Mudster *tired*

Hi Mudster... nice to see progress in your reno.. just s suggestion for the skirting..i think timber skirting will look better but I in the reverse position, wife prefer tiles skirting..and the women win..haha..

Cove lighting will enhance the overall lighting effects for the whole place..extra warm and cosy feels..try hard to get..will be a definate plus plus for your reno.

Notice the kerb in you shower..did u change the tiles.. I did a step down into the shower area for my house as it will be nicer looking..me & wife don't want kerb...

ivory.. mudster..

cove light is nice.. n it create a nice ambience... but come to think of the lizards.. when changing the bulbs turn me off!:unsure:!

but really like the idea of cove lights..

ur haulage fee like very ex... do they charge by kg?? :dunno:

Hi Mudster... nice to see progress in your reno.. just s suggestion for the skirting..i think timber skirting will look better but I in the reverse position, wife prefer tiles skirting..and the women win..haha..

Cove lighting will enhance the overall lighting effects for the whole place..extra warm and cosy feels..try hard to get..will be a definate plus plus for your reno.

Notice the kerb in you shower..did u change the tiles.. I did a step down into the shower area for my house as it will be nicer looking..me & wife don't want kerb...

I agree with u. Timber skirting will go well with our resort concept. However. Mr K mentioned that tiles last longer, which I agree with him. And our furniture from barang barang are walnut color -> close to black. The timber skirtings don come in that color. They are much lighter and may not go well with our furniture. The tiles however are neutral color, thus we don need to worry abt matching furniture and so on.

As for the cove lighting, I couldnt agree with u more. Like what I said, my fingers are crossed!

Thanks Ben3555!

Regards,

Mudster