Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Barc

How Long To Marry And Divorce A Foreign Bride?

When you apply a flat with the person you married, it is considered a Joint Tenancy. This means that no matter what, your other half is entitled to 50% of the said property.

Not really bah. I mean, there's another option besides Joint Tenancy also rite.. even for married couple. Tht time I apply my flat, we can choose either Joint Tenancy or the other option. I cannot remember the pros and cons of the other option.. only remember mine is Joint Tenancy.. haha

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Applefreak,

Wah! This is new to me. Where you gather that info on the housework part? And how will the court factor that in or how to prove that it is really so that the wife in charge of all the housework?? First time hearing this actually. keke...

it's actually in the news and if you are interested, you can check out the singapore law journals on the judge's decision in divorce cases...

the housework part is most of the time deduced by how much time husband spend at home (if little means little contribution to housework), witness accounts e.g. neighbours and relatives and the use of maids etc

for most properties, there's joint tenancy and tenancy-in-common

joint tenancy simply means that the co-owner will become the sole owner when the other owner dies. the deceased cannot will the flat/apartment away.

for tenancy-in-common, the percentage is usually stated on the deed, e.g. husband 50%, wife 50% or husband 80%, wife 20%. this you can will away...

one more thing about divorce, you will have to maintain your wife in the lifestyle that she is accustomed to.

remember the case of the rich tai-tai? the husband have to pay $5k simply bcoz she is accustomed to that kind of lifestyle the husband put her in :lol:

it's actually in the news and if you are interested, you can check out the singapore law journals on the judge's decision in divorce cases...

the housework part is most of the time deduced by how much time husband spend at home (if little means little contribution to housework), witness accounts e.g. neighbours and relatives and the use of maids etc

for most properties, there's joint tenancy and tenancy-in-common

joint tenancy simply means that the co-owner will become the sole owner when the other owner dies. the deceased cannot will the flat/apartment away.

for tenancy-in-common, the percentage is usually stated on the deed, e.g. husband 50%, wife 50% or husband 80%, wife 20%. this you can will away...

one more thing about divorce, you will have to maintain your wife in the lifestyle that she is accustomed to.

remember the case of the rich tai-tai? the husband have to pay $5k simply bcoz she is accustomed to that kind of lifestyle the husband put her in :notti:

so which is better? the joint tenancy or tenancy-in-common? :)

so which is better? the joint tenancy or tenancy-in-common? :dunno:

joint tenancy

eg....

husband and wife joint tenancy

if 1 party pass away, the house will be give to the other party automatic. exspecially u got buy the house protection 100%. the other party no need to pay the balance loan.

if choose tenancy-in-common

if percentage is stated 50-50%

if 1 party pass away without will. According to state law or simi law.

No will, the party estate will be give out in this way

50%-wife and children ; 50%- parent if (wife and parent still around)

If parent no around. 50% wife. 50% will be children.

if parent take the 50% and later pass away. The share will be given out to their children (which is ur bro and sister)

sth like that..

too detail one.. need lawyer liao :)

joint tenancy

eg....

husband and wife joint tenancy

if 1 party pass away, the house will be give to the other party automatic. exspecially u got buy the house protection 100%. the other party no need to pay the balance loan.

if choose tenancy-in-common

if percentage is stated 50-50%

if 1 party pass away without will. According to state law or simi law.

No will, the party estate will be give out in this way

50%-wife and children ; 50%- parent if (wife and parent still around)

If parent no around. 50% wife. 50% will be children.

if parent take the 50% and later pass away. The share will be given out to their children (which is ur bro and sister)

sth like that..

too detail one.. need lawyer liao :)

so usually when buying a flat, they'll encourage couples to opt for joint tenancy or tenancy-in-common? :dunno:

so usually when buying a flat, they'll encourage couples to opt for joint tenancy or tenancy-in-common? :)

for HDB, i think they suggesting on joint tenancy for married couples.

Unless is bro or sister or friend, tenancy-in-common will be better.

for private apt or Condo, i think the lawyer will advice joint tenancy for couples but the finial decision still make by u.

tenancy-in-common more on investment.

eg. that's what I heard .. don't know how truth is that..

if u opt for tenancy-in-common when u purchase a private apt or condo. U can sell away ur share even the other party disagree/don't want to sell.

joint tenancy need both party to agree.

erm, think if married liao parents won't get anything according to interstat law

deceased single = 100% parents

deceased married = 100% spouse (if no children), 50% spouse and 50% divided equally among surviving children

deceased no spouse no parents = divided equally among surviving siblings

the above is for non-muslim, muslims follow syariah low

actually joint tenancy is just convenient i.e. you dun need to apply for letter of probate, or show the will to claim for the flat. however do note the proportion of DPS purchased. if you and spouse each paying 50% of installment, likely also protected 50-50 i.e. you still have to pay your remaining 50% if your spouse passed away (unless both of you are insured 100%, which is very expensive)

tenancy-in-common is more commonly used in private properties

but you can opt for it for hdb flats as well

what if me and hubby r joint tenants but he is paying fully for installments. then means only he is covered for HPS. if anything happen to him is the house fully mine or do i have to continue paying for the house??? confused leh how all this works.

what if me and hubby r joint tenants but he is paying fully for installments. then means only he is covered for HPS. if anything happen to him is the house fully mine or do i have to continue paying for the house??? confused leh how all this works.

provide he purchase 100% HPS on himself.

If yes, u don't need to pay.

But.. if u are the one, he still need to continue to pay the house.

As u don't have HPS

erm, think if married liao parents won't get anything according to interstat law

deceased single = 100% parents

deceased married = 100% spouse (if no children), 50% spouse and 50% divided equally among surviving children

deceased no spouse no parents = divided equally among surviving siblings

the above is for non-muslim, muslims follow syariah low

actually joint tenancy is just convenient i.e. you dun need to apply for letter of probate, or show the will to claim for the flat. however do note the proportion of DPS purchased. if you and spouse each paying 50% of installment, likely also protected 50-50 i.e. you still have to pay your remaining 50% if your spouse passed away (unless both of you are insured 100%, which is very expensive)

tenancy-in-common is more commonly used in private properties

but you can opt for it for hdb flats as well

is your statement in red 100% true? :( if the child is married liao then the parents won't get anything from the child? :dancingqueen:

is your statement in red 100% true? :dancingqueen: if the child is married liao then the parents won't get anything from the child? :bangwall:

Correct.

As per intestate act.

CPF + Cash + House + Everything else that falls under estate.

Unless you write a will.

Correct.

As per intestate act.

CPF + Cash + House + Everything else that falls under estate.

Unless you write a will.

you mean if the child doesn't write a will then automatically everything will go to the spouse? :bangwall:

Just wondering... was about to get a vietnamese and divorce her once I've got a HDB flat... just how long will the divorce might take for processing? anyone with experience/knowledge on this one here?

I'm surprised that you would imagine that you can keep the flat (or is that your motive?) after divorce. I hope you understand that you need to sell the flat if you divorce.

It's definitely a tall order not to lecture you tho. Such an act is really too base (read: too cheap).

This was told by a lawyer when he advised us to make a will...

Assumued HB is older than wife and they don't have children... and both of them didn't make a will...if both of them died at the same time during accident.... because HB is older than wife... they would take it that the HB died first... so all the HB $$$ will go to the wife... and wife also died... all the $$$ for the HB and wife will go to the wife's parents... the HB parents will not get a single cent...

Same thoery apply if the HB is younger.. both their $$$ will go to the HB's parents if they died together...

Edited by HSH21

This was told by a lawyer when he advised us to make a will...

Assumued HB is older than wife and they don't have children... if both of them died at the same time during accident.... because HB is older than wife... they would take it that the HB died first... so all the HB $$$ will go to the wife... and wife also died... all the $$$ for the HB and wife will go to the wife's parents... the HB parents will not get a single cent...

Same thoery apply if the HB is younger.. both their $$$ will go to the HB's parents if they died together...

the above case is it when after making a will? :bangwall: why the $$$ will go to the wife's parents and not the HB's parents? :dancingqueen: this is a good idea too that the $$$ will go to the wife's parents. :P