Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
We have placed order for JVC full HD 42" at the recent IT show.

Any reviews on this?

can also check for reviews here

Edited by TYM

review are only basic reference, dun believe what they said 100%, usually they are paid to write only the good things and hide the bad things, especially this particular webby :ph34r:

go and see it yourself, experience it yourself, if there are friends who also own the same TV, ask them for feedback.

Hi all.

Was looking for something else so registered but came to see this thread so I would like to contribute.

Many of you are very very wrong to think LCD is better then Plasma. Both has its own, but most of the time, Plasma wins in terms of picture quality (PQ).

I try to make it easy to read..

Plasma:

-Mostly lower resolution if u compare a patial HD plasma with LCD, this is not important at all.

-Has very very deep dark (ie contrast ratio), most have 10000:1 to one black to white (LCD uses dynamic that claims 7000:1 but thats dary grey to light grey. Very subjective when comes to dynamic contrast measurement.

-Color reproduction is more accurate but many ppl wont see a different.

-Very suitable for Standard definition (SD) material while not losing out much with HD source

LCD:

-Contrast ratio lose out

-SD material will looks pixelized, so need to watch more 720P stuff to get it looking good

-HD source will give the picture more details then a average plasma

Ok, above are the main pros, lets see what many ppl talk bad about plasma:

Plasma, cons:

Burn in: unless u are having a panel made 2 -3 yrs back and older, most new panel nows have anti burn in. Different company uses different method but the latest panel requires u to watch more then 10 hrs on high brightness to get a permanant mark. So in real life, thats pretty hard to happen. (parents with kids switching on TV 10 hrs on same channel is advised to turn down brightness... and pls stop ur kid glue to the TV pls)

Heat: Again, you dont hug the TV when u watch it. The temperture at most is like few degress hotter, too little to be even a consideration. You old CRT was much hotter, you still surviving rite?

Electricity: This is the best thing LCD salesman use, the newer plasma uses around 1/3 more, maybe even 1/2 more but do a quick calculationg , for a 4-6 hrs watching a day in average on a 40-42"... a Plasma uses around $60-80 more power PER YEAR. Ok.. its money, but aren't you buying a 2k product? this extra per year dont really justified if indeed plasma gives better picture. (so question is, if plasma PQ worth it?)

LCD, details of its disadvantages:

Contrast: this is the biggest draw back on LCD, it will never get black as black as plasma or white as white. The best LCD (cost 4k and above) will have contrast as good as a 2K Plasma.. but still not good enough

SD: watching ur normal broadcast will make ur new LCD looks a lot worst then your old CRT. So dont get foolled by shops feeding HD material on LCD and you think will get the same. You will get the same, when u buy a bluray player with a 720P/1080P playback

Dead pixel: Plasma *might* get burn in with insane watching of same channel.. but LCD is use to have few pixel dead/stuck... the bigger then screen, the more chances of such pixel like that.

SO HOW? WHICH TO GET???

It's not like everyone have same watching style, but ask yourself... the TV to watch HD or mostly SD stuff?

If SD, you are better off with plasma... while it doesnt lose out in HD material also. Best of both world

If HD, you are Ok with both plasma and LCD, where LCD will give u more details. However these details might not be all good... as many see this as rather being artificial.

Home theater freaks in this world actually seldom consider LCD as the preferred screen, where most goes for Plasma. So if you REALLY want the best PQ, and can live with the cons of plasma (not much anyway) then go for a Plasma.

(ok, now u can see i am more of plasma person :) )

If u want plasma, chk out Panasonic PV70 , the 42" comes to around SGD1200 after all the vounchers. (PV80 is coming in Apr/May, hence the PV70 now is really worth it). Money no object, get the latest Pioneer Plasma, best and nothing else beats it. Period.

Hope these info help... OK I am off to find tips on buying a Sofa.. :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by tsquare

If it's Q or P series, yes, C series is not so good.

yes agree.

For those who are still looking, do consider hitachi or panasonic for plasma (beside the expensive pioneer). These are the brand backing plasma strongly so their plasma is as good as u get.

Hmm.....dono how to determine good or bad... all I know is, if I can't tell the difference visually, I will not pay extra for it.

IMHO.... I would try not to get too sucked up into comparing the statistics....afterall... when it is in my home... there is no other TV to compare it with.

I like Samsung cause the exterior looks sleak.

If it's Q or P series, yes, C series is not so good.

Yeah...go with your own feel...get one that YOU like...not what someone said will better...afterall YOU are the one watching. :notti:

But off coz...it doesn't hurt to hear other's opinion...but you will need to make the final decision. :notti:

Edited by keltong

Hmm.....dono how to determine good or bad... all I know is, if I can't tell the difference visually, I will not pay extra for it.

IMHO.... I would try not to get too sucked up into comparing the statistics....afterall... when it is in my home... there is no other TV to compare it with.

I like Samsung cause the exterior looks sleak.

I think samsung look good too.. not sure if it function as well..

btw saw a sale for samsung going on at compasspoint best denki..

LA26R71BAX 26" LCD TV: $799

LA32R818X 32" LCD 32" TV: $899

LA40R81BX 40" LCD TV: $1599 (c/w bracket, wall installation, and $200 'i think robinson' voucher (while stock last)

good deal?

any other TV sale ard??

Best Denki is never a place for good deals in my experience.

If u know the model that u want, try Clementi Electronics Centre... look for Joe... he should be able to give u a good deal. CEC is quite famous for having good deals on flat screens.... I have compared many shops... CEC usually have the best quotes.... no harm trying. U can find their contacts via Google.

I think samsung look good too.. not sure if it function as well..

btw saw a sale for samsung going on at compasspoint best denki..

LA26R71BAX 26" LCD TV: $799

LA32R818X 32" LCD 32" TV: $899

LA40R81BX 40" LCD TV: $1599 (c/w bracket, wall installation, and $200 'i think robinson' voucher (while stock last)

good deal?

any other TV sale ard??

Best Denki is never a place for good deals in my experience.

If u know the model that u want, try Clementi Electronics Centre... look for Joe... he should be able to give u a good deal. CEC is quite famous for having good deals on flat screens.... I have compared many shops... CEC usually have the best quotes.... no harm trying. U can find their contacts via Google.

will do so.. think shld b going to sungei kadut to look at furniture soon.. at the same time drop by clementi..

should wait and compare prices with IT shows?