Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
titank

Sofa Hunting, Cheap & Good!

Thanks...is the Admiralty their showroom also? Very near my new place, so can go check out anytime. Notice some of sofas I think I saw it at Silver River today. Hope they got more range than Silver River. Will go see see look look, thanks again.

Their showroom is at IFC.u can search for the location IFC website..

Think the Admiralty address is their headoffice only

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Just an update on my sofa search. Spent another weekend hunting for sofa. On sat evening, was at IFC and really liked 2 L-shape sofa which are full leather. Decided to go for full leather since a lot of area will be 'exposed'.

Saw one at Castilla Designs going at $1499 and one at home2be going at $1699. Can't decide so went home.

Sun went around the area again and started to drive into various showroom/warehouse. Went to Castilla (with no sales person in sight), Furniture warehouse, Univonna, Star furniture (featuring Mondi) and again back to IFC. Oh, was at the Modern Living 2008 too at Expo.

Univonna has some nice half-leather design but the 2 we look at, even at half leather is $1288 and $2088. (yes $2088 for HALF leather, but look very good). The rest of the place (apart from IFC) didn't see anything we like. For the $1288 is using wooden leg and full leather will cost $1800+. For the $2088 is stainless steel leg and is made for a TV show featuring Mark Lee or something. Didn't even want to check the full leather price.

After some consideration, decided to go back to IFC. Have a look at both the Castilla design and the home2be design again and my wife really like the home2be one, which we saw the same set at Modern Living 2008 (1 small hall only, lousy exhibition) by home2be selling there at $1999, which is their normal promo price. So $1699 looks like a good deal.

After lots of discussion (with my wife of coz), we decided to go for the home2be one (by now the price has greatly burst our budget). We like the design, it comes with stainless steel legs, more colors to choose from, and customize the density. When he was feeling up the sales order, notice got a $50 transport charge, he says cannot waive so we thought it's ok.

Than came the shocker (at least a shock to us), GST is NOT included in the price. So it means a further dent in my pocket and we thought might as well go for the Castilla one since the design is acceptable to us too and will cost much less. Almost want to walk out (coz budget already burst, don't want to burst further) and the sales person quickly call the boss to ask for approval for waiver of GST and we got it. He claim is the last special promo set so ask the boss to waive it for us. So we save some money on that and got the sofa that we like. Says take 4-6weeks for delivery, since we are not in a hurray, agreed to it. Will feedback on the delivery.

Edited by keltong

Just an update on my sofa search. Spent another weekend hunting for sofa. On sat evening, was at IFC and really liked 2 L-shape sofa which are full leather. Decided to go for full leather since a lot of area will be 'exposed'.

Saw one at Castilla Designs going at $1499 and one at home2be going at $1699. Can't decide so went home.

Sun went around the area again and started to drive into various showroom/warehouse. Went to Castilla (with no sales person in sight), Furniture warehouse, Univonna, Star furniture (featuring Mondi) and again back to IFC. Oh, was at the Modern Living 2008 too at Expo.

Univonna has some nice half-leather design but the 2 we look at, even at half leather is $1288 and $2088. (yes $2088 for HALF leather, but look very good). The rest of the place (apart from IFC) didn't see anything we like. For the $1288 is using wooden leg and full leather will cost $1800+. For the $2088 is stainless steel leg and is made for a TV show featuring Mark Lee or something. Didn't even want to check the full leather price.

After some consideration, decided to go back to IFC. Have a look at both the Castilla design and the home2be design again and my wife really like the home2be one, which we saw the same set at Modern Living 2008 (1 small hall only, lousy exhibition) by home2be selling there at $1999, which is their normal promo price. So $1699 looks like a good deal.

After lots of discussion (with my wife of coz), we decided to go for the home2be one (by now the price has greatly burst our budget). We like the design, it comes with stainless steel legs, more colors to choose from, and customize the density. When he was feeling up the sales order, notice got a $50 transport charge, he says cannot waive so we thought it's ok.

Than came the shocker (at least a shock to us), GST is NOT included in the price. So it means a further dent in my pocket and we thought might as well go for the Castilla one since the design is acceptable to us too and will cost much less. Almost want to walk out (coz budget already burst, don't want to burst further) and the sales person quickly call the boss to ask for approval for waiver of GST and we got it. He claim is the last special promo set so ask the boss to waive it for us. So we save some money on that and got the sofa that we like. Says take 4-6weeks for delivery, since we are not in a hurray, agreed to it. Will feedback on the delivery.

Glad you found the sofa to your liking...........and lucky for you u also check everyting.

Does it include installation?

Glad you found the sofa to your liking...........and lucky for you u also check everyting.

Does it include installation?

Err? What type of installation needed for sofa? I believe they will factory build it and deliver to me assembled, or at least in 2 piece only. Hopefully no other hidden cost since already signed.

Wow... didn't know your pocket so deep. Silly of me to talk about Seahorse brand for the mid to lower class citizens like me... haha. You are in a totally different league. :D

Glad you got a sofa set that you like. Full leather is a good option compared to half leather.... it pays in the long run. My half leather 2-seater recliner now has two different and very obvious patches of yellow! Sigh :P Just remember to clean it every two months or so and wipe with leather protector. Else, the leather skin will tear over time.

Furniture shops always like to pull out tricks like adding transport, GST and some even have installation costs! One shop told me "no GST", then when they were issuing invoice and GST was added, the boss told me the salesman English no good, what he meant was "not inclusive of GST"! :D Sigh... all sorts of people in this world.

No lah... don't think it is common for shops to charge installation of sofa. Sometimes, sofas will come in pieces for east transport and fit through narrow doors. Then, workers will assemble it together with power tools there and then. But these costs are definitely included. Not to worry.

Err? What type of installation needed for sofa? I believe they will factory build it and deliver to me assembled, or at least in 2 piece only. Hopefully no other hidden cost since already signed.
Edited by Max383

Wow... didn't know your pocket so deep. Silly of me to talk about Seahorse brand for the mid to lower class citizens like me... haha. You are in a totally different league. :P

Glad you got a sofa set that you like. Full leather is a good option compared to half leather.... it pays in the long run. My half leather 2-seater recliner now has two different and very obvious patches of yellow! Sigh :( Just remember to clean it every two months or so and wipe with leather protector. Else, the leather skin will tear over time.

Furniture shops always like to pull out tricks like adding transport, GST and some even have installation costs! One shop told me "no GST", then when they were issuing invoice and GST was added, the boss told me the salesman English no good, what he meant was "not inclusive of GST"! :D Sigh... all sorts of people in this world.

No lah... don't think it is common for shops to charge installation of sofa. Sometimes, sofas will come in pieces for east transport and fit through narrow doors. Then, workers will assemble it together with power tools there and then. But these costs are definitely included. Not to worry.

Actually my budget was less than 1K initially, went to seahorse saw one not too bad, when ask for price the the salesperson tell me not producing anymore, only smaller sets and than look away. I pissed off and went off. Went to search for lots of half and full leather sofa sets over 2 weekends, the better half leather cost as much as the full leather I got. So pushed up budget to 1.5K (coz save on the hood, hob, oven due to Mayer warehouse sales) than finally narrow down to 2 sets. My wife really like the one at home2be so no choice got to adjust budget upwards again and try to save from other areas. But when he say must add GST somemore I immediately want to walk away. Than he say waived so got it. Like the sofa but now siong liao...overbudget liao. :D

cuase the things will not be assembled leh.they will have to fix it up for you.

Actually my budget was less than 1K initially, went to seahorse saw one not too bad, when ask for price the the salesperson tell me not producing anymore, only smaller sets and than look away. I pissed off and went off. Went to search for lots of half and full leather sofa sets over 2 weekends, the better half leather cost as much as the full leather I got. So pushed up budget to 1.5K (coz save on the hood, hob, oven due to Mayer warehouse sales) than finally narrow down to 2 sets. My wife really like the one at home2be so no choice got to adjust budget upwards again and try to save from other areas. But when he say must add GST somemore I immediately want to walk away. Than he say waived so got it. Like the sofa but now siong liao...overbudget liao. :bangwall:

home2be has nice furniture. u made a good choice bro. do post a picture of the sofa once it arrive for us to admire :P

home2be has nice furniture. u made a good choice bro. do post a picture of the sofa once it arrive for us to admire :notti:

Sure...but it will take 4-6weeks. Which is ok for me since my renovation have not even started.

Whoa, noticed in one post in this thread on silver river. If i remember right, some forumers had problem with this company then. Im not sure about their service now.

Keitong: The way you shop for sofa is a bit amusing 'cos it all parallels to the 'upsizing' and 'downsizing' budget for the . But good to hear that you got your sofa. One forumer bought a sofa from home2be and it is a L-Shape one. Very nice! I'm sure your sofa is nice, so waiting for pics of it. :jawdrop:

i had a pvc or so call fake leather sofa in Year 2000 when i got my house. As i have no aircon in the living room, it gets warm and sweaty after sitting or lying on the sofa. I got to clean it often to rid of human persipration and moisturise it to prevent cracking. Over time, the color fade here and there and the material split and crack, maybe due to stretching.

After 6 years, had enuff. Now mine is a fabric sofa, high scratch resistant, washing machine washable too.

I also realise that a sofa with high back rest is important especially for taller pple as it gets rather tiring at the neck area if sit too long, inadequate support.

i even vacuum it using a handheld model (purchase solely for sofa and bed) and maintenance is really easy.

of cos the cost is far apart, mine 3 seater fake leather sofa $550. Fabric sofa $2300 but worth it!

Jus my own views. I am not a sales person and not in the furniture industry at all.

Whoa, noticed in one post in this thread on silver river. If i remember right, some forumers had problem with this company then. Im not sure about their service now.

Keitong: The way you shop for sofa is a bit amusing 'cos it all parallels to the 'upsizing' and 'downsizing' budget for the . But good to hear that you got your sofa. One forumer bought a sofa from home2be and it is a L-Shape one. Very nice! I'm sure your sofa is nice, so waiting for pics of it. :help:

Yeah...really like the sofa...or rather...my wife really likes it a lot...so satisfied her loh...got a darker color so can 'tahan' my kids dirtying it. They say usually 4 weeks can deliver liao...so I am still waiting...meanwhile, lots of other things to consider...and reno finally got started...

Congrats on your renovation start! Do post more picts of your renovation progress. Full leather sofa needs some regular maintenence so got to take care esp if you have pets. :notti:

If your renovation ends in time for sofa to fnish that is, otherwise you might have to hold back delivery date.

What you need to do is get sink, tap, cooking hob & the hood first since need to measure and allocate space for those in your cabinets. The rest can be done slowly.

Yeah...really like the sofa...or rather...my wife really likes it a lot...so satisfied her loh...got a darker color so can 'tahan' my kids dirtying it. They say usually 4 weeks can deliver liao...so I am still waiting...meanwhile, lots of other things to consider...and reno finally got started...

Congrats on your renovation start! Do post more picts of your renovation progress. Full leather sofa needs some regular maintenence so got to take care esp if you have pets. 8|

If your renovation ends in time for sofa to finish that is, otherwise you might have to hold back delivery date.

What you need to do is get sink, tap, cooking hob & the hood first since need to measure and allocate space for those in your cabinets. The rest can be done slowly.

Yeah...this time round must take care liao...the last one didn't take care but still lasted us for 10years before we gave it away to the new owner. Just hope I don't get too lazy. 8|

Pics...so I must start a T-blog or something right? Ok...will try to get it started...took some pix liao but have no uploaded them.

My hood, hob, oven are from Mayer warehouse sales...heehee...just delivered on Sat....now waiting for cabinet measurement. 8|

if you can take Morris's hard sell tactics then try. I was stuck there for a long time. was trying to sell me some package which includes sofa, bed, matress , wardrobe... lots of things, but not cheap.

I almost gave in, but becos some of the products we had to 'order' based on pictures, and you don't get to see the actual product to assess the quality. Not very comfortable with that.

also, the sales person doesn't really know what is on sale. Best to bring the newspaper clipping along, as it shows photo with the price. We were quoted higher price than the clippings and had to go back to the car to take the pics/pricing b4 they amended the quotes. so happy shopping :sport-smiley-004:

tink the guy i spoke to was jason & the manager if i'm not wrong.

Dear all,

I am new to the forum. Renovation just started and I am busy looking around for furniture. I went to castilla, Home2B, OM and Morris Lifestyle. Noticed that ther products displayed between these few companies are very similar but Morris Lifestyle's price are averagely cheaper. I worried why their price can be cheaper by avergely 15% compared to other shops. When I ask the salesperson, he said the company is clearing its existing models to make way for new arrivals coming in April. Anyone got any feedback on Morris Lifestyle ?