Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Angel81

Angel's Heaven

I always feel that when one is not comfortable making a decision, it is best to recourse the action. Else, doubts can manifest and whenever there is a mistake done by the contractor, we will end up having bad feeling.

Renovation is a big expenditure and we need to feel comfortable with all the people involved.

Hope you will find that peace of mind making the decision. :)

Thanks Reiki! I really hope to make the right decision for this.

Totally agree with you that we have to be comfy with the action decided on, esp with such a large amt of $$. One of my hubby's fren recently got conned by a reno firm's staff. Luckily the company is bound by contract, and have to finish the job. So it was the company that lost the $$ and not my hb's fren. That's why we decided to check our shortlisted contractors carefully.

Even if we decided to go with this contractor, we'll know we have to keep an eye on him, and only make payment when things are done properly.

CHANGE TO ANOTHER CONTRACTOR~!!

(^___^)

Better find someone you trust or more comfortable with. Dun regret in the future~!! (Just do more homework, sure there is someone out there can do a better job.) I am sure you do not want to spot check your house everyday~~~ =P

Harlow harlow! Agree with you. Trust is very impt in such cases. Moreover we don't know these contractors personally, so it's better to do more homework before confirming anything.

Just hope that we'll make a good and correct decision for such a big and happy project!

Dun hi-five me, i also dunno how i'm gonna settle the loan approval thingy. Will dump it to my hub since its his uncle and loan also use his name. hope u can settle it soon too, reno itself is already such a hassle, now with the loan thing getting stuck. :furious:

I think for contractors that are not doing wet works or window grills, they do not need a permit? i cant find my closet vendor inside the list as well, but they have been doing closet systems for many yrs. GST is only payable to those company that reaches a certain amt of turnover if i'm not wrong.

Ur loan also stuck ah? Mine now also. Sianz... :unsure: Really hope that the current bank we're trying will fast fast approve our loan and we can start our reno.

U know, we even chose our tiles and laminates liao. Now just waiting for the loan thingy... Signz... Everything keeps dragging and dragging... :(

Angel,HDB permit licenesed is a must!but the contractor to register with HDB is not a must!

So,its not an issue. :yamseng:

Haha.. That sounds very chim to me. HDB permit is the hacking/reno permit izit?

Good to hear that it's not an issue though. :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Actually any contractor you engage, must be HDB licensed and approved to carry out any renovation works such as hacking, building works etc.. even if the contractor hired by anyone or even you, still need to be HDB licensed & approved.. (Some contractors will use registered subsidary in cases like this, but as to whether the agreement between both parties is binding legally or not is another matter) This is stated in the HDB website which you already know. :)

For bank loans, yes banks will not issue any cheque to the owner as part of banking policy. But, you can request the bank to hold the cheques if you sense anything amiss. Also, if your hubby's uncle is in the age range of 60 and above, it will be difficult to get a loan unless there is a guarantor that meets the requirement in terms of financial stability & age range for the tenor period for the repayment of the loan that is.

Actually it depends what are the renovations u going to do?

If no hacking of walls and floor tiles, i think no need to be HDB licensed but i think u have to trust him, what happen if he run away with ur money?

Actually any contractor you engage, must be HDB licensed and approved to carry out any renovation works such as hacking, building works etc.. even if the contractor hired by anyone or even you, still need to be HDB licensed & approved.. (Some contractors will use registered subsidary in cases like this, but as to whether the agreement between both parties is binding legally or not is another matter) This is stated in the HDB website which you already know. :)

Hmm.. True true.. I think he's using subsidary company, that's why we don't need to pay GST. *headache man now*..

But I'm going to see if can get loan first, and use this time to think it through carefully loh. :) Thanks for the clarification BunBun! :)

Actually it depends what are the renovations u going to do?

If no hacking of walls and floor tiles, i think no need to be HDB licensed but i think u have to trust him, what happen if he run away with ur money?

Yah loh! I'm just afraid of that, that all our $$ will fly away.. But if we are really going to engage him, we intend to get a copy of his IC so that he can't run away. See how bah I guess :unsure:

mmm but got a copy of his IC doesn't mean he wun run also...

MMmm no matter what he must still apply HDB permit which he will use another company's name? So if really got problems and you can't find your own contractor you can look for the licensed one?

Ur loan also stuck ah? Mine now also. Sianz... :unsure: Really hope that the current bank we're trying will fast fast approve our loan and we can start our reno.

U know, we even chose our tiles and laminates liao. Now just waiting for the loan thingy... Signz... Everything

I haven applied my loan yet, cos still waiting for the quotations. All the contractors all not free to quote during CNY, so wait n wait till now.. still waiting. But i've checked w the banks, and most prob w be going w Maybank. And they will also need the contractor to be licensed w HDB.

I think there are other personal loan that issues cheque direct to ur name, but the interest rate is :jawdrop:

That time my loan not approved yet I paid my contractor the first 40%. then later on I gave him the bank's cashier's order and he wrote a cheque back to me wor... no choice I was really in a hurry then. haiz.

mmm ya there are personal loans that can issue the cheque to your name one. but not worth to take...

Angel,

If u have doubts on the credential of the contractor u r going to contract with. I suggest you hold your horses first.

Check with the bank what's the reason of the loan delay? Since the payment will be going to the contractor company. I guess the bank will want to know that $$ goes to right use.

For me, i will deal with those that are under HDB approved contractor. Although it is not 100% full proof that contractor won't run but at least minimize the risk. In such a big reno project, if everything is ok, u happy, contractor happy. However, if there is problem, it could turn out ugly.(even if it is approved by HDB)

Angel,

If u have doubts on the credential of the contractor u r going to contract with. I suggest you hold your horses first.

Check with the bank what's the reason of the loan delay? Since the payment will be going to the contractor company. I guess the bank will want to know that $$ goes to right use.

For me, i will deal with those that are under HDB approved contractor. Although it is not 100% full proof that contractor won't run but at least minimize the risk. In such a big reno project, if everything is ok, u happy, contractor happy. However, if there is problem, it could turn out ugly.(even if it is approved by HDB)

Yoz Yoz! Hee.. Actually the loan delay has nothing to do with the contractor and everything to do with us. hehee.. RHB deemed our my hb's cash flow too tight (actually it's just for this couple of mths where we have to use part cash for house instalment until my hb's cpf is freed up fr current house), and rejected us. :( We just applied for Maybank reno loan, and the delay was due to CNY nobody working. hehehe.. Hope to have an ans nex week bah.

Agree that reno project gota b a hapi one. But the price range is very tempting like I shared with you. Hehehe.. But yupz, now still holding my horses and contemplating loh. :) Johnson gave me sme gd advice as well, on what to do should I still choose this contractor. hehehe

mmm but got a copy of his IC doesn't mean he wun run also...

MMmm no matter what he must still apply HDB permit which he will use another company's name? So if really got problems and you can't find your own contractor you can look for the licensed one?

Haha.. I reali abit blur about all these. But I know my hb is going to ask lots of stuff the next time we meet him.

I haven applied my loan yet, cos still waiting for the quotations. All the contractors all not free to quote during CNY, so wait n wait till now.. still waiting. But i've checked w the banks, and most prob w be going w Maybank. And they will also need the contractor to be licensed w HDB.

I think there are other personal loan that issues cheque direct to ur name, but the interest rate is :jawdrop:

YAH!! The interests are scary! And we intend to pay back the loan in full when we get the profits from current house, so all the more x with the cancellation fees etc. So that one is out. hehehe

Advice Needed

I went to ask A, and he told me that it was registered under his bro-in law's name when they joint ventured previously. Then his bro-in law decided to go back msia, and he registered another company - whh is A - using the same address. But he just did not register this company with HDB.

Acting on the advice from a friend, I went to purchase the Biz File from ACRA for this company. And I found out that the company is not registered under A's name.

Wonder why he lied to you about the co. thing. :unsure:

Yoz Yoz! Hee.. Actually the loan delay has nothing to do with the contractor and everything to do with us. hehee.. RHB deemed our my hb's cash flow too tight (actually it's just for this couple of mths where we have to use part cash for house instalment until my hb's cpf is freed up fr current house), and rejected us. :( We just applied for Maybank reno loan, and the delay was due to CNY nobody working. hehehe.. Hope to have an ans nex week bah.

Agree that reno project gota b a hapi one. But the price range is very tempting like I shared with you. Hehehe.. But yupz, now still holding my horses and contemplating loh. :) Johnson gave me sme gd advice as well, on what to do should I still choose this contractor. hehehe

Look else where, maybe u can get one cheaper than both of them. reliable and listed in HDB contractors.

If u have the time.

Wonder why he lied to you about the co. thing. :unsure:

:dunno: My hb sae he wana ask him woh. We'll see how bah.

Happy NUI Year to you Angel! :sport-smiley-018:

Hoped you do not make any RUSH decision.

Moo moo! Hapi New Year to u too, Jupiter Home! :P Hope both our houses' reno will be smooth sailing and nice nice. hehehee.. Thanks thanks, we will not rush into this. But have to decide as soon as we know our reno loan result, if not wait no place to stay when current house sold! :P

Look else where, maybe u can get one cheaper than both of them. reliable and listed in HDB contractors.

If u have the time.

Hehehehe... Yah, u r spot on. Not much time left. :P I think we have only until end March to shift into new place, if not no place to stay when current place is sold. Gota make decision soon. :P

Finally!

Our loan application is finally approved! After all the worries and delays due to PHs and festive season, we finally got the approval. Should be going down to Maybank one of these days soon, to sign the loan application. The Maybank officer has already called our contractor to ask him to apply the HDB reno permit for us liao, so our reno should be starting real soon.

Just hope that it'll complete before our current place's 2nd appt, if not we'll have no place to stay! :P