Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
skyblue

A Simple Place @ Bedok =)

skyblue... dun be too upset ok? I know exactly how you feel.. I have two in my house. Thankfully my mom's taste is more in line with mine and she nags my dad when he comes up with weird ideas... relax relax... must be happy in new house!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Older generation tends not to share our passion for a modern clean house. To them, perhaps as they are getting older, their needs are simple and having a house is already so much for them to be thankful.

I can understand your frustration, skyblue - especially after forking out your hard earned income to realize a comfort home and then the theme/concept spoilt by [our] parents. I always believe that our parents can be re-educated. Share with her your vision of a beautiful home - the dos and donts. Share with her that you will provide the items she wants rather than she taking the initiative to get them.

Please accept my apologies if I had gone overboard. Hopefully, things will work well - a win-win situation for you and your mum.

Hi Reiki, thanks for putting in your kind words and suggestions. Did actually tried that – sharing a little on dos and don'ts before – at her house (where I am currently staying but moving out) before, but in the end got "scolded" lor, say that is her style.

It is easier said than done, but now it is my house, I will "insist" more on the dos and don'ts. Haha...

No apologies needed, Reiki, it's alright, I am not offended in anyway, as you are trying to help. Don't worry about it. Cheers!! :)

dun be angry la, skyblue. old people are like tat. i will face this problem when i move in. but come to think of that, they do not care too much abt fit or not fit and so on.

no need to be too angry for them. they have their reasons and what we can do, explain to them nicely and if they do not listen, also bo-bian.

Thanks guy77, not angry anymore, just got to accept it lor. I will have to keep reminding her what she should not be doing more often from now on. Haha...

What happened to rondy ah? Didn't "see" him around of late... :)

skyblue... dun be too upset ok? I know exactly how you feel.. I have two in my house. Thankfully my mom's taste is more in line with mine and she nags my dad when he comes up with weird ideas... relax relax... must be happy in new house!

Appreciate your dropping by with concern, pinkpetter.

At least your mother can help you out to maintain a better look in your house.

Well, I also sort of expect it to come, but just didn’t expect it to be that soon. Haha... ;)

Bro, one thin about the blind…

Would or are u gonna open the window when u draw down the blind?

If yes, the blind might swing front n back hitting the window frame when there’s wind blowing.….

If no, then np loh.. but gott on fan in the house…

My cousin also install something similar. When wind blows, the blind swings front n back, will have “spat” “piak” “piak” sound…

I haven’t install anything in my house yet, still wanna give myself somemore time to settle down at the same time catch my breathe, coz $$ not enuff..

Most probably I’ll do up curtains, can take down wash and change when need to.

Regarding parents issue, see open abit..

On the other hand, I would encourage u to spend more time with them whenever possible.

Ur place really lookin good..

All the best bro. ;)

Edited by rolexboy

Frustration 2

The reason that the common toilet did not install shower screen, was that my mother is those old, traditional type where the toilet "must be wet" (if you get what I mean). You will see pails almost everywhere, and therefore shower screen is not suitable and I did not make any cabinets under the basin as well.

Then she went to get the shower curtain that looks like this:

19Jun_32.jpg

Ok, fine. Still looks ok, if you disregard the design of the curtain. But my blood boil further when I saw what she got her brother (my uncle) to do DIY curtain in her bedroom. She just couldn't wait for my roller blinds to be installed, so that she can see if she likes it, if she don't like, I'll make her the curtain.

I know the rod has not completely been installed properly yet, but the look of it makes me really mad. It is slanted!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Curtain rod

19Jun_36.jpg

Right view

19Jun_37.jpg

Left view

19Jun_38.jpg

I already spent so much money on this renovation and in the end, it was not the ID/contractor that spoils my day but my mother – such irony isn’t it?

I know she wants to save money, but I already spent this much, how much more will it cost me for another curtain in her bedroom! &^$@$^%*@#!^$

I am going out to meet my friends for dinner liaoz. So-so-so "pek-chek" now manz.... *Sigh, SIGH* :(

Hi Skyblue,

I agreed with the rest that the older generation are like that. Sometime, they just insist their ways, though later they see that its nicer if they have communicate with us earlier. I think those stuffs that your mum put up are still ok. Because they are mostly stuff that can be remove / retify easily. The bathroom rod and curtain rod are those which can just twist and turn and off they go. The 2 chairs... I concur with nexus to paint them to another colour and it can easily turn into another modern piece of art.

My mil have shifted in to my bil place recently to take care of the newborn and similarly.. she put up alot of stuffs which was ermmm... pretty unique.. just to quote afew example... installing a rod and putting up some cloth-lookalike curtain which she sew at the common bathrm, although bil have a showerscreen to enclose the shower area already (meaning the curtain is right after the shower screen). Putting up the curtains (something that look like your common bathroon curtain with the buttons) on all the roman roller bind along the whole dining and living area (using the binds as the rod for her curtains).

Hee.. I think you will feel better after reading these. :D

Hi Skyblue,

Read about the episode with your mother and I can emphatise with you. I live with a mother who unfortunately has deteriorated mentally, and she just thinks and see things in only her way. Funny, I seem to have a MIL like that too! :P Oops!

Like everyone said, I guess its also a generation gap thing whereby our parents and us somehow have ideas in their heads which are as similar as chalk and cheese. For the 2 chairs, as what someone has mentioned, an alternative is to change the colour. Just a suggestion - Rattan can be quite easily stained so perhaps you could get it done in a walnut stain. That way, the colour will be at least similar to the laminates and the wall colours. There's a nice uncle and aunty-run rattan shop along Joo Chiat road. If you need the addy and contact, I'll go find it for you.

For Curtains, perhaps you can just suggest to her that you'll install one for her?

Hope you're feeling better. I guess after awhile, despite the initial frustrations, we all get numb about such stuff. Happy moving in! :)

Ur uncle also a little gao xiao... how come the bar is so obvious slanted and he didnt sees it? :unsure:

Can u secretly just buy another shower curtain to replace the one your mum bought? Sometimes its just a little hard for us to explain aesthetics to them... I have the same issues back home too. :( u r not alone!

Bro, one thin about the blind…

Would or are u gonna open the window when u draw down the blind?

If yes, the blind might swing front n back hitting the window frame when there’s wind blowing.….

If no, then np loh.. but gott on fan in the house…

My cousin also install something similar. When wind blows, the blind swings front n back, will have “spat” “piak” “piak” sound…

I haven’t install anything in my house yet, still wanna give myself somemore time to settle down at the same time catch my breathe, coz $$ not enuff..

Most probably I’ll do up curtains, can take down wash and change when need to.

Regarding parents issue, see open abit..

On the other hand, I would encourage u to spend more time with them whenever possible.

Ur place really lookin good..

All the best bro. ;)

Hi rolexboy, yes, you have a valid point there. For my study room, I would not be opening my windows as I would be turning on my aircon, so it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the other room, I intend to get a "stopper" thing so that when the wind blows, the "impact" of the banging sound will be greatly reduced. I need to source for it, use it then put it up here with photo(s) to show you when it is done. Right now it's just a "theory", haha...

The other reason for me to choose roller blinds over curtains is that it requires no washing (less to maintain, just wipe clean), whereas curtains need to be washed on a regular basis.

I also no $$$ already, need a very long "breather" too, heehee... :P

Thanks for your well wishing, all the best to you too!! :)

Hi Skyblue,

I agreed with the rest that the older generation are like that. Sometime, they just insist their ways, though later they see that its nicer if they have communicate with us earlier. I think those stuffs that your mum put up are still ok. Because they are mostly stuff that can be remove / retify easily. The bathroom rod and curtain rod are those which can just twist and turn and off they go. The 2 chairs... I concur with nexus to paint them to another colour and it can easily turn into another modern piece of art.

My mil have shifted in to my bil place recently to take care of the newborn and similarly.. she put up alot of stuffs which was ermmm... pretty unique.. just to quote afew example... installing a rod and putting up some cloth-lookalike curtain which she sew at the common bathrm, although bil have a showerscreen to enclose the shower area already (meaning the curtain is right after the shower screen). Putting up the curtains (something that look like your common bathroon curtain with the buttons) on all the roman roller bind along the whole dining and living area (using the binds as the rod for her curtains).

Hee.. I think you will feel better after reading these. :D

Hey, Rasp, thanks for your sharing. Indeed a "unique" experience of your MIL in your BIL's place. I just hope that there will be no more "unexpected" things turning up in my place.

I have not mentioned this, my mother is also a "collector" – those things/furnitures that other people don't want, she would take them back to the house. This will be a big no-no for me. Luckily, these few years I have seen less of such "act", but I would still have to tell her in advance. Haha... ;)

Hi Skyblue,

Read about the episode with your mother and I can emphatise with you. I live with a mother who unfortunately has deteriorated mentally, and she just thinks and see things in only her way. Funny, I seem to have a MIL like that too! :P Oops!

Like everyone said, I guess its also a generation gap thing whereby our parents and us somehow have ideas in their heads which are as similar as chalk and cheese. For the 2 chairs, as what someone has mentioned, an alternative is to change the colour. Just a suggestion - Rattan can be quite easily stained so perhaps you could get it done in a walnut stain. That way, the colour will be at least similar to the laminates and the wall colours. There's a nice uncle and aunty-run rattan shop along Joo Chiat road. If you need the addy and contact, I'll go find it for you.

For Curtains, perhaps you can just suggest to her that you'll install one for her?

Hope you're feeling better. I guess after awhile, despite the initial frustrations, we all get numb about such stuff. Happy moving in! :)

Appreciate your dropping by with the fantastic suggestion on the chairs, adrian_john.

But for the time being, I will leave as such first. When I really need to do something about the chair, then I will PM for the contact. Thanks for the offer. :)

Yeah, I am ok now, as I am moving stuffs for the past few days, rather tiring.

Right now have moved 80% of my stuffs, left mainly all my clothes and some miscellaneous items.

But my seahorse mattress will only arrive next Thursday, so I am not sleeping at my new place yet, hence need to run here and there.

Worst thing is that my internet is at new place, I can't online throughout the night yet, so sianz... :(

I might want to get a foldable mattress first, so that I can start sleeping here, probably from tomorrow night onwards... :)

Ur uncle also a little gao xiao... how come the bar is so obvious slanted and he didnt sees it? :unsure:

Can u secretly just buy another shower curtain to replace the one your mum bought? Sometimes its just a little hard for us to explain aesthetics to them... I have the same issues back home too. :( u r not alone!

Haha, thanks mrspiglet. For the shower curtain, I will leave as such, since I am not using it.

I'll let her friends/relatives to tell her that it looks "weird", at least she won't think that I am "always against" her mah. :P

I guess 家家有本难念的经吧, haha... :)

Edited by skyblue

i got shocked of my life seeing your house new added furniture and accessories lor!so gotta take medication and rest well :notti:

(just joking)

Well,at the first place,u should not let your mum know the progress of your reno,when everything is completed including Furniture,

u just let her in and give her a surprise!don need her to add anything in the house liao ma,haha.

Haha, expected you to say something like that above.

Yeah, I already 看开了 lor. Thanks ah...

By the way, you’ve got my PM right?? Coz like "no news" from you one? :P

skyblue: u want those mini transparent little 'bumps' to stick on ur window grills for the roller blinds? i bought 1 piece from Suntec... n use only 1 bump.. still got a lot left. u wan i can send u some leh.. no need to waste money to buy ah...