Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
beany0811

Somewhere In Bishan

we hope they can be removed too... @ first the wife din like the look of the marble; found them quite dated. but it kinda grows on you, i think.

so now, marble must be flawless! heh

Haha, at 1st i wasnt into marble too, however, many beautiful homes here prove me wrong. Of cos, the colour of the stone muz be nice & bright.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thanks to all for responding regarding the carpentry.

I've spoken to my ID. He explained to me that those are just small vertical non-weight bearing compartments. So hubby is fine with it. :)

Oh no! I realised how bo chup I was. When I went up, all the carpentry were up already. It just looks pretty and ready. I never seen my reno having these kind of 'raw' look. Oppies! Hope my cupboards still continue to stay strong. I am stuck in that house for at least 20years.

Unless I buy private property, if not, no chance to move out of the house cos of the HDB levy =(

Maybe I should start saving now for the next reno in 10years time =D

don't worry about yours, circles. yours look very sturdy to us :)

Thanks to all for responding regarding the carpentry.

I've spoken to my ID. He explained to me that those are just small vertical non-weight bearing compartments. So hubby is fine with it. :)

don't worry about yours, circles. yours look very sturdy to us :)

Hmm you sure you guys are fine with it ?

Coz all my carpentry regardless non weight bearing or not, non have such kind of plywood with hollow in between.

I am pretty sure about this coz I told ID about the carpentry must be in good material and must be solid.

I had inspected every single pc that arrive in my house and all pcs did look very good,

Even with nice layers of thick plywood my Lady was not really impressed as she was expecting full pc solid wood maybe like teak or other wood. Of coz that wont be possible if not these carpentry will cost rocket high :X

So even if non weight but due to the materials, the areas might be more susceptible to give way in the event of knocking or wad eva events.

Maybe due to hollow in between if in event of moisture happened to go in, might be a good place for termites infestation or maybe grow moldy easier.

That are my assumptions la :P but i do suggesti you guys reconsider again.

Edited by forkie

thanks, pinklady :)

close-up of the feature wall below; the joint lines r abit obvious and wide, but guess we can still live with it

IMG_0665.jpg

wah the joint lines looks scary to me, why not ask your ID to settle it once and for all? i know now you can say to accept it, but then if you plan to stay in the house for a very long time, it becomes an eyesore, and heartpain.

Hmm you sure you guys are fine with it ?

Coz all my carpentry regardless non weight bearing or not, non have such kind of plywood with hollow in between.

I am pretty sure about this coz I told ID about the carpentry must be in good material and must be solid.

I had inspected every single pc that arrive in my house and all pcs did look very good,

Even with nice layers of thick plywood my Lady was not really impressed as she was expecting full pc solid wood maybe like teak or other wood. Of coz that wont be possible if not these carpentry will cost rocket high :X

So even if non weight but due to the materials, the areas might be more susceptible to give way in the event of knocking or wad eva events.

Maybe due to hollow in between if in event of moisture happened to go in, might be a good place for termites infestation or maybe grow moldy easier.

That are my assumptions la :P but i do suggesti you guys reconsider again.

yup yup, i agree with you forkie. if you are paying premium prices, you should be gtg solid plywood for all these carpentry works, if you are going to stay very long at that place. no point gtg louya 'hollow wood'. it may 'tong' for the 1st few yrs, but definitely won't 'tong' over the next 4 or 5th year. i tink that hollow part of wood looks suspicious to me too.

yup yup, i agree with you forkie. if you are paying premium prices, you should be gtg solid plywood for all these carpentry works, if you are going to stay very long at that place. no point gtg louya 'hollow wood'. it may 'tong' for the 1st few yrs, but definitely won't 'tong' over the next 4 or 5th year. i tink that hollow part of wood looks suspicious to me too.

hey pinklady and forkie, thanks for the advice. we went up to the unit after work today intending to check the carpentry again... and amazingly, most of the basic structures were already up :o

that suspicious looking piece of thing was nowhere to be found; so we could only go around studying the pieces that are already up, and still bare.

so far so good. the plywood are solid enough, esp for the structures like shoe cabinet, wardrobe and kitchen cabinets.

the hubby noticed some of the blockwood still being used for some drawers... will check with ID on that again.

carpentry in progress

rate @ which the guys work is rather amazing... first day of carpentry, and kitchen cabinets 80%

display cabinet, 70%... wow

thanks to forummers' advice, we did study the exposed parts of the carpentry; the plywood seems solid enough, and no broken pieces; all the blocks look solid and sturdy.

since ID promised to change the defective blockwood pieces, gonna give him the benefit of the doubt until QC time.

after we came back, realise forgot to bang on the inner walls of the storage areas to ascertain how hollow it sounded tho. that will be tomorrow, or the day after's job.

workmanship seems OK for now; no chance to scrutinize yet... guess it's still early days. pretty happy with the rate of progress so far. if work carries on this pace, will be good.

kitchen entrance

Picture005.jpg

kitchen cabinets in progress

Picture007.jpg

realise tt the areas under the top cabinets will look rather dark... gonna install some lightings...

kitchen pipes boxed up

Picture012.jpg

opening... showing the pipes

Picture013.jpg

the hubby's display cabinet

Picture018.jpg

Edited by beany0811

Wow, your carpentry progress is fast. How is it now? All done up?

Hee.. look forward to your completion pics. :sport-smiley-004:

progress update - end of week 7

# carpentry is WIP - the workmanship of the guys have so far been so good... quite happy with what we've seen so far. full completion of carpentry should be done by next week :D

# the marble floor is quite badly scratched in many areas tho :( a lot of rework to be done on that...

# air-con blowers are up... we were also quite happy with the work fm hong tar - they took the trouble to change the water piping cos it was jutting out @ the toilet area - their guy sat there and changed the pipe joining so it would look neater

fm the ugly water piping to mbr toilet...

IMG_0725.jpg

... to a nice, neat and concealed one

IMG_0768.jpg

the damaged skirting was a result of the wall hacking earlier... didn't notice till today. ID will be sending his guys down to repair on monday

our aircon - mitsubishi heavy industries

IMG_0769.jpg

Edited by beany0811

Wow, your carpentry progress is fast. How is it now? All done up?

Hee.. look forward to your completion pics. :sport-smiley-004:

hi rasp, it isn't completed 100% yet, but i guess it will be done next week - kitchen top will be up, i guess glass will be up too?

when we went up to the unit this afternoon, saw a guy there cleaning the carpentry... that's a good sign!

will post pictures when everything is done

kitchen entrance

Picture005.jpg

hi, am curious how will the kitchen entrance be closed up with the structure shown in the picture. mind sharing?

hi, am curious how will the kitchen entrance be closed up with the structure shown in the picture. mind sharing?

hi alamak, its gonna be a sliding door, with frosted and tea-coloured glass panels - wooden planks are the supporting structures. pics aren't tt clear, cos the panels were all on one side.

the wife likes this sliding panel actually :P proposed by the ID, and so far the WIP product looks quite good. hopefully when the glass inserts go up, it will look even better.

the kitchen will be abit dark tho, can't do anything bout tt cos of the limited light going in.

hi alamak, its gonna be a sliding door, with frosted and tea-coloured glass panels - wooden planks are the supporting structures. pics aren't tt clear, cos the panels were all on one side.

the wife likes this sliding panel actually :P proposed by the ID, and so far the WIP product looks quite good. hopefully when the glass inserts go up, it will look even better.

the kitchen will be abit dark tho, can't do anything bout tt cos of the limited light going in.

hey, thanks for the explanation. looking forward to the completed reno. :) me looking for other ways to close up the kitchen w/o using walls.

Tea-coloured glass panels? Nice and i have it for my storeroom. Yours oso pt block right? Kitchens in pt block generally dark, mine too.

Your reno progress seems :good: despite u said some unhappiness here & there.