Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Defelio

My Mini Mid-Century Modern Home

I see same brand as the blackboard paint I used. Thanks alot again =)

Hi, I have used this on my current wall and painted over with chalkboard paint.

Word of advice: it doesnt have a strong hold... am using rare earth magnets (strongest magnet) on it. Still doesnt hold well.

Not easy to apply the paint also

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, I have used this on my current wall and painted over with chalkboard paint.

Word of advice: it doesnt have a strong hold... am using rare earth magnets (strongest magnet) on it. Still doesnt hold well.

Not easy to apply the paint also

Hi Knownothing, damm mann, I have just one click buy from Amazon which is lightly cheaper after adding in shipping cost $*.

Just to check, how many coats of the metal primer did you applied onto the surface? What type of surface did you paint it on?

Were you able to wash the metal primer paint off the brush?

If you could, I recommend you change your nick to Knowsomething =)

I read the reviews. It has a strong smell and needs several coats for stronger holding power. Painting also sounds like a messy job... But its the only brand I've seen in Singapore.based on what I've read I'll suggest testing with fridge magnets after each coat has dried to see if more coats are needed. And not making the blackboard coat too thick. perhaps use the spray paint blackboard spray instead? Spraying seems easier than painting anyway. :)

I read the reviews. It has a strong smell and needs several coats for stronger holding power. Painting also sounds like a messy job... But its the only brand I've seen in Singapore.based on what I've read I'll suggest testing with fridge magnets after each coat has dried to see if more coats are needed. And not making the blackboard coat too thick. perhaps use the spray paint blackboard spray instead? Spraying seems easier than painting anyway. :)

Thanks for the tip. I try the metallic primer on another surface first before deciding to go ahead with the paint job. I will take up your suggestion with the fridge magnets =)

As for the chalkboard paint, it's water base(easy to wash off with water). I still have plently left(after applying 3 coats) and it's relatively easy to apply with those roller foam brush. You just need to be careful about going to thick at one time as the rolling strokes may appear too obvious. Spraying may seem easy but you need to masked up/cover a huger area as compare to painting. Also, it take abit of skill too..

Hi Knownothing, damm mann, I have just one click buy from Amazon which is lightly cheaper after adding in shipping cost $*.

Just to check, how many coats of the metal primer did you applied onto the surface? What type of surface did you paint it on?

Were you able to wash the metal primer paint off the brush?

If you could, I recommend you change your nick to Knowsomething =)

Hi Defelio,

Since you have bought it, there's no harm trying it.

I painted 3 coats of the metal primer on my concrete wall (concrete wall was already painted with Dulux paint, i just applied it over)

The brush will be as good as gone after you used it with the metal primer. There's quite an amount of iron dust in the primer, which is very hard to wash off even with thinner/tupertine. This is unlike the chalkboard paint, where it can be removed/washed off easily with water.

Remember to constantly stir the primer because the iron dust in it tends to settle down to the bottom of the container fast.

For me, (maybe because I dun have the flair for D-I-Y), I wasn't able to get an even coat of the primer over my wall, with different areas having varying amounts of iron dust on it, thus if someone were to go near and scrutinize the area, they can see uneveness (due to some areas having concentrated amount of the iron particles while other areas don't) on the wall. Haha --- ugly.

Some areas now can hold off magnets stronger than other areas. But even the area with the highest concentration of iron dust doesn't hold magnets as well as I wanted it to be. Probably works if you gonna only hold memos/paper notes with the magnets.

Hi,

Your house is my favourite on renotalk by far. It's very tastefully done up. Alot of great ideas too! I never liked white brick walls, walnut-colour furniture, Scandinavian or mid century look until I came across your blog! Your flat changes the way I look for many things, even wooden false ceiling and expensive furniture. Your flat brought out every piece of furniture very well. Very impressive!

Hi Defelio,

Since you have bought it, there's no harm trying it.

I painted 3 coats of the metal primer on my concrete wall (concrete wall was already painted with Dulux paint, i just applied it over)

The brush will be as good as gone after you used it with the metal primer. There's quite an amount of iron dust in the primer, which is very hard to wash off even with thinner/tupertine. This is unlike the chalkboard paint, where it can be removed/washed qoff easily with water.

Remember to constantly stir the primer because the iron dust in it tends to settle down to the bottom of the container fast.

For me, (maybe because I dun have the flair for D-I-Y), I wasn't able to get an even coat of the primer over my wall, with different areas having varying amounts of iron dust on it, thus if someone were to go near and scrutinize the area, they can see uneveness (due to some areas having concentrated amount of the iron particles while other areas don't) on the wall. Haha --- ugly.

Some areas now can hold off magnets stronger than other areas. But even the area with the highest concentration of iron dust doesn't hold magnets as well as I wanted it to be. Probably works if you gonna only hold memos/paper notes with the magnets.

Greatly appreciate your advice! :paint: I will use a paint tray (so as to limit the depth of the iron particle to sink) and get a couple of replacement roller sponge(for each of the multiple coats) to try it out. lol, I think there's no flair in DIY bah, I had my downs in DIY also as some process wasn't thought of till **** happens.. :dunno:

Hi,

Your house is my favourite on renotalk by far. It's very tastefully done up. Alot of great ideas too! I never liked white brick walls, walnut-colour furniture, Scandinavian or mid century look until I came across your blog! Your flat changes the way I look for many things, even wooden false ceiling and expensive furniture. Your flat brought out every piece of furniture very well. Very impressive!

Hi Rain, Oh thank you very much for your compliment! c",)

We went to places from Hoe Kee(HQ), Geylang Lor 4x to Balastier and Sim Siang Choon(HQ) but couldn't find a suitable sink... Real please with the sink and the rack comes with it! Missy just told me we bought it separately.. Damm, I'm getting old.. :dunno:

SandD_20111024_01172.jpg

SandD_20111024_01169-01.jpg

SandD_20111023_01038.jpg

SandD_20111023_01073.jpg

Hi i noticed that for your kitchen tiles, the green tiles are all white in color. Did you opt for the original HDB tiles and if so, how did you go about replacing the green tiles in the kitchen to the current white tiles?

Thank you

Hi i noticed that for your kitchen tiles, the green tiles are all white in color. Did you opt for the original HDB tiles and if so, how did you go about replacing the green tiles in the kitchen to the current white tiles?

Thank you

Hi xtac, guess you're from Jade Spring too as there isn't any photos of my kitchen with green tiles and HDB didn't gave any option for the wall tiles.

The tiles are painted with tile paint which can be purchase from Home-Fix for about $80+ :yamseng:

Defelio

I was really keen on the chalk paint after seeing discussions here, and was actually waiting for the Spotlight sale this Friday to get it, but I decided, that my bomb shelter will be Ferrari Red instead!

Anyway, when I have time, I shall share more on my Home Theatre Centred retro home, that will have 11 speakers and two subwoofers and a very large projector screen...

Defelio

I was really keen on the chalk paint after seeing discussions here, and was actually waiting for the Spotlight sale this Friday to get it, but I decided, that my bomb shelter will be Ferrari Red instead!

Anyway, when I have time, I shall share more on my Home Theatre Centred retro home, that will have 11 speakers and two subwoofers and a very large projector screen...

Think you should start your own T-Blog... easier to keep track of your reno journey when all the discussions are in the same location don't you think?

Anyways, chalkboard paint comes in an array of colours, just may not be available in SG. You can probably ship in using forwarders like Borderlinx/Comgateway:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=168

Love the overall feel of your house. Very cozy and clean!

I think I'm getting the exact same hood, hob and oven as you!

How do you find the fujioh hob?

Defelio

Hi Petetherock I not too sure but I didn't see any chalk board paint @ Spotlight last time. Saw your thread that you're getting the wishbone chair. Looks good but doesn't seem comfortable.. :unsure: