Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Mine is a rect balcony. Below are my own preferences:

- Living room and kitchen seems to be slightly bigger

- Only need to close one door to keep cooking smell in kitchen, instead of 2 (to living rm and to balcony)

- Feels more like a balcony as next to the living rm, and not btw kitchen & living room. If next to kitchen, some may use it as a service balcony

- Rubbish chute is in kitchen instead of in balcony. So for those who intends to use sq balcony as only balcony, will see the chute. Not very nice for owner to throw rubbish if guests are enjoying the balcony. :P

Dislikes

- No service balcony. WM eats into kitchen area

- Think sq balconies can try to bbq (for those w/out roofs). Nvr see pple with rect balconies do it b4. :P

So far, no regrets. But I didn't search for an EM with rect balcony intentionally. We just wanted an EM and would consider both sq or rect balconies. But we prefer rect balconies so far. Also, I think Jurong seems to be mostly rect balconies. haha

Angel, u already said the kitchen is big. You can have the service balcony built at the kitchen area where the chute is. That split your kitchen, 1/3 for service balcony and 2/3 for kitchen.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Angel, u already said the kitchen is big. You can have the service balcony built at the kitchen area where the chute is. That split your kitchen, 1/3 for service balcony and 2/3 for kitchen.

Slightly bigger makes not much of a diff leh. hehehehe.. :P And with a separate service balcony, clothes hanging on the poles won't smell of the cooking woh. Now, I gota bring down all clothes b4 I cook. Or cannot wash clothes if wana cook.

Edited by Angel81

Angel> yupz i will be tearing the whole house down and basically doing everything up again

Familyof4>> I am abit apprehensive calling Uncle Soon at the moment as i am compiling all the pictures on the specfic details of every nooks and corners of the house. As i know that contractors wont have a 3D graphic drawn up. So i will need to have pics to show them on what i specifically want.

Everytime i quote that i have a budget of $45k to the IDs , i think they are pretty turned off by my low budget and yet i wanted alot of stuff done up for my house...lolz...

Cool! It'll really be ur own home with ur own designs then. :P Think Uncle Soon should be able to keep to ur budget bah. Familyof4 did tonnes of stuff for about the same amount! :)

Slightly bigger makes not much of a diff leh. hehehehe.. :P And with a separate service balcony, clothes hanging on the poles won't smell of the cooking woh. Now, I gota bring down all clothes b4 I cook. Or cannot wash clothes if wana cook.

No problem at all, cos most of the time the clothes are outside, either in the balcony or hang out at the kitchen.

No problem at all, cos most of the time the clothes are outside, either in the balcony or hang out at the kitchen.

Well, my balcony is for leisure only, no hanging of clothes. And we rarely hang out, since we're only back in evenings.

Well, my balcony is for leisure only, no hanging of clothes. And we rarely hang out, since we're only back in evenings.

My family big mah..... that few bamboo holes in the kitchen not enough for me. I have bought from IKEA those hang cloths , can open up one. Just nice place at the balcony to hang my children clothes.

My family big mah..... that few bamboo holes in the kitchen not enough for me. I have bought from IKEA those hang cloths , can open up one. Just nice place at the balcony to hang my children clothes.

Haha, then poor Muffin living under the clothes? :P

Cool! It'll really be ur own home with ur own designs then. :P Think Uncle Soon should be able to keep to ur budget bah. Familyof4 did tonnes of stuff for about the same amount! :)

Angel, I did tonnes of stuff? Just things that I need lah :P

As for the balcony, I have yet to stay in, yet to really have a feel about it. But I like the square balcony, as I do not have a roofing, it acts as a "yard", an "outdoor area" for both laundry (I am having it at one corner), rubbisg chute to build a suspended cabinet to box up and a small area for the kids to play.

One thing i dislike is the number of doors :P but I think there are always pros and cons. my kids love the open space, so do i :) It really depends on what you want and how u fell ultimately :)

Angel> yupz i will be tearing the whole house down and basically doing everything up again

Familyof4>> I am abit apprehensive calling Uncle Soon at the moment as i am compiling all the pictures on the specfic details of every nooks and corners of the house. As i know that contractors wont have a 3D graphic drawn up. So i will need to have pics to show them on what i specifically want.

Everytime i quote that i have a budget of $45k to the IDs , i think they are pretty turned off by my low budget and yet i wanted alot of stuff done up for my house...lolz...

i even jialat. I told the IDs my budget is $35k, and they all run until I can;t see their tails! Then one person came back, saying can match my budget, but minimal carpentry, another like laughing at me...yohoo...if i tell you i have $50k, u sure chop me jialat jialat right?

one came back with about $46k, most things there, but service bad. My friend's (who's hubby owns an ID) came back with the most detailed and comprehensive works, but uncle's quote was $10k cheaper. Can you imagine the savings?

But then again, now that uncle has many projects, you may need to pay some attention to the reno. However, he is still stringent in his QC :)

Angel, I did tonnes of stuff? Just things that I need lah :P

Hehe, yah leh. U got do lots of flooring mah, and the toilets too. Hehehe :P So really like lots of stuff loh. :P

Surprisingly she didn't mess up the clothes. Only play with new papers when we are out the whole day.

Hehe, very guai. Till now, my hb still say Muffin very guai. :)

i even jialat. I told the IDs my budget is $35k, and they all run until I can;t see their tails! Then one person came back, saying can match my budget, but minimal carpentry, another like laughing at me...yohoo...if i tell you i have $50k, u sure chop me jialat jialat right?

one came back with about $46k, most things there, but service bad. My friend's (who's hubby owns an ID) came back with the most detailed and comprehensive works, but uncle's quote was $10k cheaper. Can you imagine the savings?

But then again, now that uncle has many projects, you may need to pay some attention to the reno. However, he is still stringent in his QC :)

WoW...... seems that uncle works and prices seems to be the tops in the market @ the moment.

As i am hesistating on employing uncle due to overwhelming work orders he has.. I am currently waiting for Sky creation ID to get back to me. As i quite like their portfolio and see what they will offer me.

Familyof4 did u tear down the entire place? including hacking and plastering the whole house???

And for the reno loan did u apply any ??

WoW...... seems that uncle works and prices seems to be the tops in the market @ the moment.

As i am hesistating on employing uncle due to overwhelming work orders he has.. I am currently waiting for Sky creation ID to get back to me. As i quite like their portfolio and see what they will offer me.

Familyof4 did u tear down the entire place? including hacking and plastering the whole house???

And for the reno loan did u apply any ??

I did almost an overhaul with hackings, masonry works etc. Plastering I wanted to do, uncle assess the place and says I need not do it as the wall condition is good. But he did plaster and touch up for me at various places at NO EXTRA CHARGE :) I hacked 2 walls. One to relocated the bedroom entrance, another is the wall leading from recess to study/hall.

The only thing I retained is the stairs and L2 Parquet flooring.

We didn't apply for any Reno loan.

In addition, my carpentry includes:

MBR wardrobe 9ft

2x wardrobes 6ft each

Tv console in MBR

2x bedside table

2 vanity cabinets

kitchen cabinets (forgot the measurement)

Feature wall (8ft)

suspended cabinet to cover up the chute

study cum computer table (10.5ft)

shoe cabinet

Full height altar

boxing up of 2 big pipes in the kitchen and entrance (FOC)

I think carpentry about there...I also re-do whole house windows and grilles.

Uncle is managing the project...I think he starts rejecting people after we feedback to him. He is retaining better workers and accept works within his capability :) No harm just getting one more quote ;)

Edited by familyof4

familyof4,

I am still saving for the day I can do my reno without taking loan...

Lesser liability in future, for the days of uncertainties though recently my hubby de retirement been moved from 42 to 50 =D

Still scared...

~>.<~

Edited by Hiera

Chrono, I agreee with you =D

I actually threw my washer in my 1st floor de toilet=p..

The area where you all put washer de.. is my dog pee pee area =p

Anyway, for the square balcony, I saw a unit in jurong, near my InLaw, who actually put a platform above the balcony, just like a lodge, for chill-out purpose.

Its like, sitting outside your MBR like that.. except the access to it is thru your balcony de ladder...

Very nice... The platform, they buy wood make them selves de...

There is a latest magazine which feature a EM with square balcony, the theme is black/white,

The kitchen is very well done up... and the balcony too... I'll find out the name of the mag when i get home..

I buy almost every reno mag every month o.0"