Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oldskool

Blast From The Past

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hey van, you know ferdi too? small world, i just met him for lunch yesterday. :)

i have communicated with Ferdi a couple of times for old peranakan tingkats but our timings have not fit, and i haven't seen his stuff. Any good?

hi oldskool, can tell me where you got the wires from? thanks!

hey june, the wires i found were in this hardware/pots/pans/oldschool toys/3m hooks/lightbulbs (cha pa lang) shop :) at fernvale point.

along the stretch where NTUC is, its operated by a couple in their 50s, old school kinda shop. their price were cheaper than those i got from hock eng hin, and they had more variety as well.

i have communicated with Ferdi a couple of times for old peranakan tingkats but our timings have not fit, and i haven't seen his stuff. Any good?

i got my diamond clock from him. his my wtb's ex colleagues husband. haha so i must say good la.

i w think its worth to check his place out, pretty cool house. :)

• Like 1

hey june, the wires i found were in this hardware/pots/pans/oldschool toys/3m hooks/lightbulbs (cha pa lang) shop :) at fernvale point.

along the stretch where NTUC is, its operated by a couple in their 50s, old school kinda shop. their price were cheaper than those i got from hock eng hin, and they had more variety as well.

i got my diamond clock from him. his my wtb's ex colleagues husband. haha so i must say good la.

yea it is at tiong bahru right? Def keen on checking out his wares.... :)

Thanks! I went to Hock Eng Hin before but left minutes later. prices were definitely inflated.

yea it is at tiong bahru right? Def keen on checking out his wares.... :)

yeap his at tiong bahru, at the same time can have a coffee at one of the many joints there :)

Thanks! I went to Hock Eng Hin before but left minutes later. prices were definitely inflated.

no prob. glad that there are other like minded people after the old stuff :)

on another note, one other item which we would like to share is the Bennington C600 multi point heater.

As we were in the search of heaters, the obvious choices like Joven storage was easily one of the first that pop out. however, this would mean having to mount it and have it sticking out somewhere, either in the toilet or in the service yard.

we were shown the C600 at one of the shops while searching for the joven, and decided to give it a shot. reviews found have been favorable so far.

pros of this is since this is a multi point heater, we only need one for both the toilets. and we could also easily mount this inside one of the toilets.

it works like a instant heater, so minimal waiting time for the water to heat up.

cons as we are told is that we cant use this if we intend to have a rain shower.

we looked around and found a place selling at 2/3 the price of the first place which recommended to us, and here it is:

9553391533_4489a722be.jpg

heater

Do you know if that fee includes installation?[/quote

Yes. All included. U may call Siew Chan @9462 2988 to check it out.

Thanks for that, i have noted down the details....if my budget allows it...will def call! :)

as we are in near completion mode, we started having more time to think about diy items.

one of which is to have a small bench by the ventilation blocks for us to put on our shoes. inspiration came from looking at the crates tables and chairs at fabulous baker boy at the foot of mount canning. and luck has it, there was a beautiful plank of wood at work, and i manage to get it back home for free since it was a lose piece that was lying around.

just a note if anyone else think of working with wood for a small project. if we take wood from crates / shipping crate, make sure theres a 'HT' heat treatment mark on it. this will reduce the chances of a termite invasion in future :)

I love the wood grains on this.

9577965028_f71bc997b1.jpg
bench plank 2

9577965162_5e8c1b2b9b.jpg
bench plank

manage to get this sand down, and next we plan to get shellac / varnish on it.

we will then need to look for legs to put on them. as of now the target is the hairpin legs which i believe a few of us are targeting for, so lets see how that goes! we are in no rush on this and will take our time to get it completed.

on to other side diy project. one of the request to our ID was to have a WIW done using pipes and fittings. this was not in our initial quotation and requested much later into the project. we have not gotten anything from them yet, probly cos they are busy finishing up our current place. therefore, we started looking around to source for ideas to do this ourselves.

and big credit to sarah on introducing me the IKEA STOLMEN, which is a pole system wardrobe that ikea offers. thanks sarah!

the only prob i had with this was the finishing of the aluminum poles, which is a nice smooth white finish. might work for many, but definitely not gonna work in our theme for the place.

in order to attempt to get it to a 'distressed' old, worn look, i got a trial piece from ikea to have a go and see what sort of finish i can get.

armed with a can of black spray can and a can of silver spray can, i tried to see what sort of result that can be achieved. below are some before, between and after shots :)

before:

9575171091_e162889f2b.jpg
Before

black & silver on each half just to see how they turn out:

9575170729_7338cb16b5.jpg
between

and after fiddling around with it for a bit here's the after:

9577965458_c954da8cc7.jpg
after

i think might work better with black and gold combination rather than silver, might go get some gold paint and try. any advise welcome!

we are abit behind schedule right now on the reno, but i think we shld be good to receive our furniture next sat!

had a cleaning done today, first time stepping in without all the clutter and dirt.

loving the reflection of the tiles of the smeg oven.

9575170399_e7e2e4e03f.jpg
kitchen clean

Edited by oldskool

and a much cleaner kitchen floor!

9575170583_90389fb4f8.jpg
floor clean

first coat of paint up for the rooms door. we kinda like how the single coat paint looks, giving it the unfinished barn look, but guess we will go for one more coat.

9577965356_3de3713945.jpg
barn

a lot to be done over the weekend, hope all goes well.

as we are in near completion mode, we started having more time to think abt diy items

on to other side diy project. one of the request to our ID was to have a WIW done using pipes and fittings. this was not in our initial quotation and requested much later into the project. we have not gotten anything from them yet, probly cos they are busy finishing up our current place. therefore, we started looking around to source for ideas to do this ourselves.

and big credit to sarah on introducing me the IKEA STOLMEN, which is a pole system wardrobe that ikea offers. thanks sarah!

the only prob i had with this was the finishing of the aluminum poles, which is a nice smooth white finish. might work for many, but definitely not gonna work in our theme for the place.

in order to attempt to get it to a 'distressed' old, worn look, i got a trial piece from ikea to have a go and see what sort of finish i can get.

armed with a can of black spray can and a can of silver spray can, i tried to see what sort of result that can be achieved. below are some before, between and after shots :)

before:

9575171091_e162889f2b.jpgBefore

black & silver on each half just to see how they turn out:

9575170729_7338cb16b5.jpgbetween

and after fiddling around with it for a bit here's the after:

9577965458_c954da8cc7.jpgafter

i think might work better with black and gold combination rather than silver, might go get some gold paint and try. any advise welcome!

you are really on full speed with this DIY project! :)

what do you intend to do with the white planks and drawers? I think it might be worthwhile to walk around IKEA to see if you can find non-white planks that fit, or get them cut at a wood factory.

Edited by sarah833