Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sleepybeauty

My Dark, Industrial-Style Apartment

I have been kept busy the whole evening trying to find alternative material for my kitchen island top (even though i had confirmed with my ID yesterday to use marble as per what he proposed).

Many of my friends were horrified (for obvious reasons) when i told them that my ID proposed using marble for the kitchen island. I had the same reservations initially since i knew that marble being a very porous stone, it would be easily stained and scratched. After doing some research on the internet.. i came across this write-up + product testing for a sealant that one could use on the marble! YAY! I must say I'm kinda sold by this sealant and probably will order via amazon if i really am using marble for my kitchen island top. Honestly, i can't seem to find a replacement for the look of the marble... Quartz stone and granite does not have the natural prints that marble has and i guess have to be more diligent in giving the marble top more frequent sealant treatment to protect it?

Anyway, just to share with you guys the link to the blog i read about the sealant.

By the way, a shout-out to anyone who has a marble kitchen counter pls share with me your experience, that would be greatly appreciated!

I am in the midst of my renovation, and I will have a huge slab of marble for the kitchen island. Coincidentally, I plan to use this same sealant to protect the marble. I have had friends in the states use it, and they swear by it...only con....it changes the grout colour if that is a factor to you. There is a small portion of my island which will be granite(The slab of marble is too long to fit into the lift and well...no one will carry the marble up six floors), I am still trying to figure out if it will affect the look if i use this sealant.

Btw, where are you getting this from? It looks like it has to be purchased overseas.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

oooh... i read ur blog and saw that you are using marble as well and u managed to get ur marble quite cheaply too right? lucky you!

as im on the ground floor, i guess i don't have the problem with the size of the marble... however i need to find the biggest slab of marble available as my kitchen island is 1.5m x 1.5m

i intend to order from amazon together with my other purchases i guess.. might be looking to get a kitchen faucet from amazon as well... pretty cheap for the sealant, around 38-40 usd i think

oooh... i read ur blog and saw that you are using marble as well and u managed to get ur marble quite cheaply too right? lucky you!

as im on the ground floor, i guess i don't have the problem with the size of the marble... however i need to find the biggest slab of marble available as my kitchen island is 1.5m x 1.5m

i intend to order from amazon together with my other purchases i guess.. might be looking to get a kitchen faucet from amazon as well... pretty cheap for the sealant, around 38-40 usd i think

Lucky you! You don't have to worry about getting the marble upstairs! Yes, i am very thankful i got the marble...ridiculously cheap. My marble counter top was going to be 2500 by 900. But due to the length problem...we are reducing the length to 2000 now. The extra portion, we will be using granite. Which I got a great price for as well...again very thankful.

As for the sealant, amazon does not ship the quart volume...FYI...only the gallon is "shipable". guessing we will be holding on to the sealant for ages...are you going to do the sealant portion yourself, or will your contractor do it?

Lucky you! You don't have to worry about getting the marble upstairs! Yes, i am very thankful i got the marble...ridiculously cheap. My marble counter top was going to be 2500 by 900. But due to the length problem...we are reducing the length to 2000 now. The extra portion, we will be using granite. Which I got a great price for as well...again very thankful.

As for the sealant, amazon does not ship the quart volume...FYI...only the gallon is "shipable". guessing we will be holding on to the sealant for ages...are you going to do the sealant portion yourself, or will your contractor do it?

how lucky can u get! where did u get ur stone from? i hvnt got down to choosing a piece of marble for my kitchen though.. by the way.. just thought to share with you... maybe can look into getting the sealant that is food safe since the marble is going to be placed as kitchen island

http://howtocleanmarble.org/best-marble-sealer-comparison-

how lucky can u get! where did u get ur stone from? i hvnt got down to choosing a piece of marble for my kitchen though.. by the way.. just thought to share with you... maybe can look into getting the sealant that is food safe since the marble is going to be placed as kitchen island

http://howtocleanmarble.org/best-marble-sealer-comparison-

PM-ed you where i got the marble.

As for the sealant, i have put it in my shopping cart, but will wait till i move in before deciding if I need that sealant cos the marble people will be applying a sealant to the marble for me already.

PM-ed you where i got the marble.

As for the sealant, i have put it in my shopping cart, but will wait till i move in before deciding if I need that sealant cos the marble people will be applying a sealant to the marble for me already.

thanks for the contact... i shall go check with my ID to see if we could go down to take a look.

been having second thoughts about the marble island top.. arggghh.. such a tough decision... cos the bf said he ain't going to use the island for fear that i will scold him if he were to accidentally stain it! haha

thanks for the contact... i shall go check with my ID to see if we could go down to take a look.

been having second thoughts about the marble island top.. arggghh.. such a tough decision... cos the bf said he ain't going to use the island for fear that i will scold him if he were to accidentally stain it! haha

LOL...why don't you guys see it that every stain is a nice memory...obviously you were having too much fun to notice it was there! :)

LOL...why don't you guys see it that every stain is a nice memory...obviously you were having too much fun to notice it was there! :)

that's a very positive mindset! thumbs up! i still love the marble look to be honest... it's classy!

that's a very positive mindset! thumbs up! i still love the marble look to be honest... it's classy!

Go for it! Hey it is a HOME not a museum....that's what i am telling myself...that is why my place is starting to look like noah's ark...LOL

seems like my renovation has come to a standstill... i've been too lazy to head down to take a look anyway as there's no new stuff being done... im guessing that they should be finishing up the kitchen tiling and stuff... pending for my carpentry design

meanwhile, i have been busy doing some online shopping for kitchen faucets and sink... last sunday, me and the bf went down to kitchen culture to browse around for some ideas. the bf fell in love with the commercial type of kitchen faucet (the pull out type with a sprayer) but obviously the stuff they carry at kitchen culture are pretty atas and expensive! so after doing some research online, I found a slightly cheaper alternative from hansgrohe. Here's how it looks like:

gallery_47921_112_29272.jpg

Excited with what i had found, i headed down to the showroom located in mohd sultan yesterday to take a look at its function and check out the retail price.. OMG, it's retailing at $1550 without GST at the showroom !!!!!! almost fainted.

All i can say is, THANK GOD FOR AMAZON!

Edited by sleepybeauty

yea i got my faucet via amazon...got a kraus one.... and it is BEAUTIFUL! No regrets.....will be installing in about two weeks time, can't wait! They had a taller "spring" portion one..but it was too high for my kitchen...you might wanna consider. Anyway...here's the link to the one i got http://vanessafridahome.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/more-purchases-from-amazon/

yea i got my faucet via amazon...got a kraus one.... and it is BEAUTIFUL! No regrets.....will be installing in about two weeks time, can't wait! They had a taller "spring" portion one..but it was too high for my kitchen...you might wanna consider. Anyway...here's the link to the one i got http://vanessafridahome.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/more-purchases-from-amazon/

i read from your blog that you managed to get free shipping from amazon? i just checked with amazon for the same faucet you bought, there's no free shipping though... why is that so ?

i read from your blog that you managed to get free shipping from amazon? i just checked with amazon for the same faucet you bought, there's no free shipping though... why is that so ?

I put everything into my shopping cart...made sure i hit US$125...then i contacted customer service. They waived shipping :)

I put everything into my shopping cart...made sure i hit US$125...then i contacted customer service. They waived shipping :)

don't have leh ... u are one lucky shopper! are u talking about global free shipping or US free shipping?

don't have leh ... u are one lucky shopper! are u talking about global free shipping or US free shipping?

Global free shipping...i ordered the collander in that blog post, the faucet and a magnetic wall mounted knife holder :)

What did Customer Service say?