Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tikiman

Reno For Tikihouse @ Tampines

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

U r super lucky to have this tiling team to agree to do the herringbone design! It is absolutely fabulous!

yes, this team of tillers are very accommodating. If there was a problem, they will discuss with us first before proceeding. TikiFamily also very nice, we pack lunch and tea for them.

Workmanship looks superb. I like how u printed out a reference picture for them. Heh

Ah weng and ah meng are good tilers. Very careful with their work, unlike those blanga or china workers that does the BTO flooring, 偷工减料.

We specifically told our contractor that we want experienced tilers from Malaysia, and will check for hollow sound after the work is done.

Edited by tikiman

As mentioned earlier, our contractor A is no ID. Tikimum had asked him to come up with a dry kitchen design. He provided us with a drawing few days back, one look and we was brought back to the past when home owners fill the whole wall with cabinets. So it was back to the drawing board, I traced out the framework and redesign the kitchen (very rough work), and put in colors of the cabinets.

10055203404_9422f2dd98_h.jpg

Edited by tikiman

Hi Makan, I've seen Vanessa's Scott on her t-blog. He looks really cute, like my Tiki at that age.

My Tikiboy is a lovable 8-yr old GR who still behaves like a puppy :P !

Loving your Tikiboy! And your new home of course.

Btw...my contractor re-painted all my old bedroom doors and redid my main door too. Maybe visit my blog and have a look...not sure if it will help

Loving your Tikiboy! And your new home of course.

Btw...my contractor re-painted all my old bedroom doors and redid my main door too. Maybe visit my blog and have a look...not sure if it will help

Hi vanessa. I love the way you are doing up yr EM too with open kitchen and study :) we did considered an EM in tampines and even drew up layout plans on how we wld do up the space ... Until we considered the stairs... As we will grow old in this house, we decided better to keep things on the same level!!!!

We decided to order new doors as the new tiling has raised the floor level. Ah Seng came to measure last nite and left us a brochure of designs to choose...

Wow! U sure put alot of effort on aspects! tiling oredi v chio! Designers urself? Hee! Lookg forward to more pix!

Thanks. Both of us are not designers.

your attention to detail is staggering :paint:

haha... that's what my contractor said.

Thanks Tessina, Makan, Greg and Jingyi for your comments and vote.

The wet works for the flooring and bathroom/yard have been completed this week. As per schedule, the peranakan tiles at the foyer were the last to be done. Ah Meng laid them out on Wed and everyone had to jump over the area to enter/leave the house for 2 days ! I did managed to snap a quick shot before Ah Meng covered it with a protective cardboard layer.

10099553556_f93c4cf337_z.jpg

Since it's the last part to be laid, maybe you could ask them to dry lay first in order to get the best feel before deciding.

That's what we did, though I suspect it would be tougher for patterned tiles like the ones you're going for.

Maybe you can add your selected floor tile and superimpose around the peranakan tiles? Then it will give you a better idea of the design to choose?

IMHO, from left to right:
Design 1 makes the area look longer.
Design 2 looks too 'balanced' and 'fabricated'
Design 3 makes it look broader.

The diff is quite subtle. Maybe can tell us what is the surrounding flooring around these tiles, in order to decide better.

If the tiles are going to be surrounded by a border of different tiles, I'd take option 2. If not, option 3.

The plumber that came to fix the water pipes was a funny fellow (Mr Chew). He is a very cheerful old man who chain-smoke. Despite protest by my contractor, he comes in shorts and slippers. Regardless, his works at his own pace, accurately measures and calculate the position to drill and overall did a good job. I have drawn out a piping plan previously, but before I can show him, he tell me how he is going to lay the pipes exactly what I wanted. He also took the effort to drill only on the grout lines for the pipe clips.

My contractor had bought stainless steel pipes that were made in Singapore. Mr Chew commented they were of good quality.

Sad to hear that he can only work for another 1.5 years, as he would not be able to afford the future down payment for COE of his van.

10099574553_cf47b029cd.jpg10100444105_b64a21deee.jpg

While checking the plumbing, we notice that the water pressure is very strong. Hence, the flow from the basin mixer was very forceful. A plastic flow limiter (which looks like a button), and our 0 tick tap is now 4 ticks ...haha

Edited by tikiman

Thanks Tessina, Makan, Greg and Jingyi for your comments and vote.

The wet works for the flooring and bathroom/yard have been completed this week. As per schedule, the peranakan tiles at the foyer were the last to be done. Ah Meng laid them out on Wed and everyone had to jump over the area to enter/leave the house for 2 days ! I did managed to snap a quick shot before Ah Meng covered it with a protective cardboard layer.

10099553556_f93c4cf337_z.jpg

Just a gentle reminder. Do be careful with the cardboard, make sure it is not lines as the lines will imprint onto the tiles, especially the workers have to walk in and out of the house everyday. This happened to some of my tiles and as a result, I need to get them changed. However, my tiles are majority white in color.

I mean the cardboard with lines on the underneath side that is in contact with the tiles. Just to make myself clear. 😀