Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Who did you get the Aircon from ??

Just updated the information under post 8 of this blog.

I got it from Aron of Star Cool Air-Condition Engineering and liaised with their head of installation, Ah Boon for scheduling and all the nitty gritty details during installation. Their work can be found in the following thread.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/9682-aircon-latest-quotes-anyone/

actually why didn't you want the trunking to be inside the rooms instead?

The main reason we did not route the trunking on the other side of the passageway was because of height of the hacked study wall, or rather the beam that remains. We did not want to run the trunking below the beam towards Bedroom 1 as that will severely affect the aesthetics of the framed glass panel, which happens to be one of our few feature. It doesn't make sense as well if we were to run the trunking around the study as there will mean longer piping and loss of cooling efficiency. Besides, it will clash with the L-boxes we plan to have in the study.

After consultation with AL's sub-contractor, he concluded that it is not possible to lower the beam using just hollow blocks and we are now looking at a L-shaped box-up together the L-box we originally intended to have in the passageway. It will be pretty much similar to vicx1234's solution as depicted below.

vicx1234's Air-con Trunking Box-up

vicx1234Air-conTrunkingBox-up.jpg

Edited by mavicaste

Sorry for pestering u with this structure cable thinggy, but does the ending points near the TP is without wall socket?

My electrician says its so that I can plug the cables straight into the router.

I would prefer wall socket as it looks nicer. but it will means I have to buy cat 6 wires to connect from the Wall socket to the router.

Which option is actually better? :huh:

IMG_0285_zps2f2d38e2.jpg

I just end mine with loose cables. It is a bit messy. You can look at the pics. If you can accept that, then it is ok.

• Like 1

Sorry for pestering u with this structure cable thinggy, but does the ending points near the TP is without wall socket?

I would prefer wall socket as it looks nicer. but it will means I have to buy cat 6 wires to connect from the Wall socket to the router.

IMG_0285_zps2f2d38e2.jpg

Buy the data socket with faceplate lor...cost less than $5.can buy double faceplate with 1 box to save space.Or better still go Sim Lim tower and buy the patch panel .

• Like 1

IMG_0285_zps2f2d38e2.jpg

I just end mine with loose cables. It is a bit messy. You can look at the pics. If you can accept that, then it is ok.

Buy the data socket with faceplate lor...cost less than $5.can buy double faceplate with 1 box to save space.Or better still go Sim Lim tower and buy the patch panel .

Thanks for answering the question. :good:

As kstoh mentioned, if you can live with just loose cables coming from the trunking, then just leave them as is.

Else, you can get single, dual or even quad port faceplates with keystone jacks to tidy up the area.

In my case, I am using a 8-port patch panel each for the study desk and TV console as there will be plenty of runs per location. For the Main Bedroom and Bedroom 1, I will only be using dual port faceplates as the runs will be 2 and 4 points respectively.

On a sidenote, I have finally gotten a date for the HDB cement screeding on 8 April and since we still have a week before they start work, AL has arranged for the electrician to come in next week to run his electrical wiring as well as my network cables. Its time to finalise and draw my network plan for the electrician as reference even though I will be on site to explain in details what I have in mind.

• Like 1

The electrician and his guys came in this morning to gather and discuss our requirements before starting work.

While finalizing my own network plan yesterday, I was having a hard time settling on the number of connections to run to each room. In the end, I decided that since I am paying a flat fee for the electrician to lay the cables for me and that since I have already 8-port patch panels for the TV console, I just went for the maximum of points possible, eventually leaving only 1 port on the switch unused. More to follow after I check on the finished works tonight or tomorrow...

ElectricalWiringInstallation01.jpg

ElectricalWiringInstallation02.jpg

ElectricalWiringInstallation03.jpg

I envy you. I should have laid more than just one point to each room. I wanted to lay two points for each room, but the electrician wanted to double the charge. In protest, I refused to lay two points.

Edited by kstoh

Woah. That is a lot of points. Do you mean you are charged a flat fee, regardless of any number of datapoints?

If that is the case, do consider installing datapoints and power points in the ceiling for IP cameras. You may need these when you have a baby and/or maid.

The electrician and his guys came in this morning to gather and discuss our requirements before starting work.

While finalizing my own network plan yesterday, I was having a hard time settling on the number of connections to run to each room. In the end, I decided that since I am paying a flat fee for the electrician to lay the cables for me and that since I have already 8-port patch panels for the TV console, I just went for the maximum of points possible, eventually leaving only 1 port on the switch unused. More to follow after I check on the finished works tonight or tomorrow...

ElectricalWiringInstallation01.jpg

ElectricalWiringInstallation02.jpg

ElectricalWiringInstallation03.jpg

I envy you. I should have laid more than just one point to each room. I wanted to lay two points for each room, but the electrician wanted to double the charge. In protest, I refused to lay two points.

I remember you mentioning this on your blog but in retrospective, perhaps you could have negotiated for a better prices or sub-contract the structured cabling works to another electrician with more competitive prices?

Woah. That is a lot of points. Do you mean you are charged a flat fee, regardless of any number of datapoints?

If that is the case, do consider installing datapoints and power points in the ceiling for IP cameras. You may need these when you have a baby and/or maid.

Yes, my intention was to have the electrician lay and trunk my fibre optic cable and network cables while I terminate the ends to patch panels or keystone faceplates on my own. I only brought this up to AL and his electrician offered to do it for a flat fee of $150, one of the best deals in my entire quotation.

As for the IP camera, I think the only need I have for it will be for security against burglary. Both our set of parents are living just across the TPE in Sengkang, so it is highly unlikely we will ever hire a domestic helper.

I remember you mentioning this on your blog but in retrospective, perhaps you could have negotiated for a better prices or sub-contract the structured cabling works to another electrician with more competitive prices?

Yes, my intention was to have the electrician lay and trunk my fibre optic cable and network cables while I terminate the ends to patch panels or keystone faceplates on my own. I only brought this up to AL and his electrician offered to do it for a flat fee of $150, one of the best deals in my entire quotation.

As for the IP camera, I think the only need I have for it will be for security against burglary. Both our set of parents are living just across the TPE in Sengkang, so it is highly unlikely we will ever hire a domestic helper.

Yeah, I guess I should have bargained or changed electrician.

Did you type wrongly? $150 for everything??? or $150 per location?

Your last sentence seems to be saying that your parents would be the helpers?? :)

Edited by kstoh

Yeah, I guess I should have bargained or changed electrician.

Did you type wrongly? $150 for everything??? or $150 per location?

Your last sentence seems to be saying that your parents would be the helpers?? :)

No typo, $150 to lay all the network cables with trunking, plus a fibre optic cable I added in. And because I decided to go for the maximum number of connections possible, I basically consumed the entire 305m reel of cat6 cable taking into account the buffer length they left on each ends.

We have not had serious discussions about the arrangements with regards to occasional help with childcare but our parents are definitely a possibility.

Edited by mavicaste