Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

But I always thought the studio is very similar, if not exactly the same as the 39 sqm units?

Even the showflat in HDB, they put the studio layout as the one for the smaller 2-room layout.

But the problem here is studio only have like 20 year lease? I dunno. As long as they give more chance for the singles, I dun care too much.

Does that mean singles can buy studio apartments too?

Dya think it may have an impact on resale prices...?

I dont think the there should be many impact on 2-room resale as SA cannot be sold in open market if I am not wrong.

But I always thought the studio is very similar, if not exactly the same as the 39 sqm units?

Even the showflat in HDB, they put the studio layout as the one for the smaller 2-room layout.

But the problem here is studio only have like 20 year lease? I dunno. As long as they give more chance for the singles, I dun care too much.

Existing:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyingNewFlatStudioApt?OpenDocument

HDB's Studio Apartments (SA) are designed to meet the needs of elderly residents. The SAs are sold on 30-year leases, beginning from the date of keys collection.

Size and Accommodation

SAs come in two sizes :

• 36 square metres
    • 45 square metres.

But in terms of layout, it is very similar to our 2-room layout. Just more extras, like cabinets, cooker, taps, grilles hand bars, and a much shorter lease. But stripped bare, it is exactly the same, structurally.

But in terms of layout, it is very similar to our 2-room layout. Just more extras, like cabinets, cooker, taps, grilles hand bars, and a much shorter lease. But stripped bare, it is exactly the same, structurally.

Yes you are right.

The primary purpose of integrating both schemes is to make SAs more attractive to senior citizens. I hope that HDB can also give singles a chance to apply for 2 rooms / studio apartments in mature estates which have not attracted any buyers.

I also budgeted 20k, including furnishings :(

I am seriously thinking about doing my own DIY carpentry, just to save costs. Sigh

I seriously think that 30k all in will be a more realistic figure. Nowadays applicances not cheap too.

That day I saw LG washer cum dryer already 1k+. Furniture also not cheap leh.

The primary purpose of integrating both schemes is to make SAs more attractive to senior citizens. I hope that HDB can also give singles a chance to apply for 2 rooms / studio apartments in mature estates which have not attracted any buyers.

And provided it's not on 20/30 year lease! :)

I seriously think that 30k all in will be a more realistic figure. Nowadays applicances not cheap too.

That day I saw LG washer cum dryer already 1k+. Furniture also not cheap leh.

I agree on the not cheap part... I've spent around 12k on furnishings/appliances so far and I've yet to buy a couple of big ticket items like my wardrobe and TV, so I'm expecting to spend about 15k in total for that.

For reno, I think the best way to cut cost is to minimize on built-in carpentry? A friend of mine did the painting for her bto 4-room herself (with the help of friends), got most of her stuff from IKEA (including her customised kitchen cabinets which actually looks quite nice) and managed to keep within 10k excluding furniture/appliances that they've already bought before they got their keys.

So 20k all in is not impossible but just need to work very hard at it! :D

Actually I think for my reno, the bulk of my spending, other than flooring, is on carpentry...

For furniture, is Ikea that cheap? I recently bought shoe cabinet for my parents on fortytwo website and seems quite ok quality, free delivery above $200 and wide variety.

I may venture into taobao or amazon to save cost too.

Actually I think for my reno, the bulk of my spending, other than flooring, is on carpentry...

For furniture, is Ikea that cheap? I recently bought shoe cabinet for my parents on fortytwo website and seems quite ok quality, free delivery above $200 and wide variety.

I may venture into taobao or amazon to save cost too.

Certain things are cheaper than others in comparison... I've been shopping for 1-seater armchairs and wardrobes and the ones that have caught my eye in Ikea are cheaper by like 300 each at least. Of course, the trade-off is the quality as everyone always says. But all the Ikea stuff I've bought previously have lasted me long enough to make it worth the price. So I'm still a 'fan' haha.

My current loft bed is from IKEA. I bought it from their as-is side (that mean it used to be a display piece), and have been using it for nearly 12 years. Still very good.

I think, the solid wood furniture there is okay, just don't get too much MDF/compressed wood ones. They 'decompressed' after many years, due to our humidity and heat.