Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Actually I think for my reno, the bulk of my spending, other than flooring, is on carpentry...

For furniture, is Ikea that cheap? I recently bought shoe cabinet for my parents on fortytwo website and seems quite ok quality, free delivery above $200 and wide variety.

I may venture into taobao or amazon to save cost too.

Many from this forum bought from Taobao but for me unless I see and feel the thing myself I will not buy online even if cheaper. Buy online might be cheaper but also depend on heng suay. Then if not suitable want to exchange also headache.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

eh... ladies (I assume all regular here are ladies?) pls dont get me wrong, I have never mentioned that Ikea stuff dont last as I have bought some cabinets before and I think they do last. Just that I dont think Ikea stuff are that cheap...

And the reason why I go for custom made carpentry is to maximise the vertical space (full height cabinets). And other than flooring, I dont have false ceiling, overlaying of tiles, tv featured wall. I am going for simple and practical set up. :D

For online shopping, I think the savings must be minimum 50% or it is not worth taking the risk. buying it from a known source (from other bloggers) and doing extensive research can reduce the risk I think.

Hahahahaha... Lady here (okay, FEMALE). :D

Nah, I think IKEA stuff is not exactly cheap, but the cheaper stuff are not so good.

I am also debating between Taobao and Singapore shop. I think someone else had said, for things that not many people will see closely, can get from TB, but for things that require daily contact, ie, bed, tables and sofa, might be better to get from somewhere where you can touch and see and feel.

I am seriously thinking about doing just the basic renovation, other than hacking a wall, and no custom carpentry, and do some of the bookshelves myself. The kitchen might use IKEA kitchen cabinets, since I don't really have much kitchen space anyway. I love the idea of a kitchen island, but it'll be super tiny and very small walking space if I do. Have a few ideas to make it work. I think that is the fun thing about our tiny spaces, it forces us to think creatively. :D

Taobao is like a black hole just waiting for me to fall into lol. (I'm a big online shopper) The only thing stopping me is the hassle of going thru a middleman forwarder and all that Chinese. As for Amazon, I shop in there for brands that would go for much higher prices locally. But it's only worth it if you manage to get free shipping. :P

Incidentally, I actually managed to get my kitchen sink in from US for about US$35 after shipping. Cheap low grade stainless steel one but heck, it's cheap! I did have to wait quite a while for them to locate stock tho.

I want an apron front sink, and the Amazon one with shipping costs more than USD$1k. I saw one that looked similar in Taobao, might go for that.

Also very tempted to get a wooden bathtub from Taobao. It is indeed a black hole :o

I want an apron front sink, and the Amazon one with shipping costs more than USD$1k. I saw one that looked similar in Taobao, might go for that.

Also very tempted to get a wooden bathtub from Taobao. It is indeed a black hole :o

hey Kyooko,

try this trick on amazon.

i got my Kraus sink from them with free shipping.

As long as it is stated "Free international shipping" on the item, you can try email them to waive it off.

mine worked.

Try it....but there have been misses.

good luck.

Or speak to the CS on live chat before placing the order which was what I did. I acted blur and asked... "Why doesn't my order reflect free shipping? It's within the weight limit..." (but not within the dimensions limit lol) The CSO gave me the go ahead to order and then he edited my order for me to 'waive' shipping by splitting the cost of the sink between the price + shipping. So I got an early Christmas present from Amazon last year! :D

your sink is the stainless steel kind? Mine is the ceramic, I think might exceed the weight. but I already intended to try. probably buy a few more things, so got better bargaining power. :D

My ID's guys left my shower running overnight. Sigh.

His guy used my shower to wash hands and left the shower head hanging like his own home. Not put back in place.

Worst thing is, I am still overseas. WA messages is not gonna help my complaining to him.

Don't mind my ranting. LOL!

The frustrations of renovating.

I have gotten my friend to padlock the gate so that they can't enter anymore. Arrrghhhhhhh!!!!

My ID's guys left my shower running overnight. Sigh.

His guy used my shower to wash hands and left the shower head hanging like his own home. Not put back in place.

Worst thing is, I am still overseas. WA messages is not gonna help my complaining to him.

Don't mind my ranting. LOL!

The frustrations of renovating.

I have gotten my friend to padlock the gate so that they can't enter anymore. Arrrghhhhhhh!!!!

Totally feel you, varying! (>_<)

If it's my house, I can still take the left-it-hanging part, but having it running overnight is a big no-no. Ask your ID to pay for your utilities bills this month!

I have a lot of minor (and some major) complaints about my ID's subcons as well. If I started, I'm not sure when I'll be able to stop.

The glass door guys once left my door completely unlocked, only closing the wooden door. It was a good thing I went up that night to check on their work and chanced upon it!

Everytime I meet my friends, I have a new 'situation' to report lol. My mum says it could be cuz I'm 'yim chim'. :P

Edited by MsBunny

MsBunny,

The pain of renovating.LOL!

Btw, they shower head that they left hanging is a Hansgrohe...heartpain!!!!

I am definately gonna scrutinize it for scratches when i am back end of this week.

my mum as well, she kept saying, keep your temper in check..dont always quarrel with the contractor..blah blah

Hahahahah!

Ya. I told the ID about paying my uility bill. He is beginning to "entertain" me wih his "ok""noted" replies. I have the last payment with me. So.... we will see...

Haha, to be fair - I don't dislike my ID enough to be a detractor lah... :)

Even when we have disagreements, the final outcome usually falls in my favour (as in he will agree to fix the issues for me in the end). So I have complaints here and there but I think it could be just me.

His tilers had excellent workmanship but the carpenters' leave much to be desired. If you asked me, I would still recommend him... Just not his carpenter lol. :D