Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cornetto

Salary Disclosure

TRUST has to be there in marriage... so naturally a lot of things will evolve around TRUST.

That's what I'm saying, the more trust you have in each other, the less problems :P

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I think for youngsters like us, we are very transparent with each other.. But those older folks like my parents generation, they are more tight lipped lor.. Like when I got married, my mom kept telling me 'you must have si fang qian!'.. And my dad is totally secretive about his salary one.. Haha..

But me and my hubby also know each other earn how much lar.. Its more practical so that we can plan our expenses etc.. But also to protect myself!! Coz as usual, I find men cannot have too much unmonitored money.. :sport-smiley-004: Must eyeball account now and then..

But that also means he can't give me any surprises coz I will know lor.. Well, everything got pros and cons!! My hubby is not a romantic person so no surprises also one lar.. Heh..

I get asked that all the time. :sport-smiley-004: And someone also asked if I'm willing to marry someone who earns less than me.

Personally, I think how much you earn is something that is private and confidential. Even large organisation and MNC do not reveal how much their top management get paid, just a range. (ok, fear of public of backlash is also another factor).

Of course, if husband and wife decided to be honest and disclose this, then it is good. Helps in managing the finance better. Honesty is the best policy is this case.

But between friends, colleagues and relatives, i feel that this is a rather inappropriate ques to ask. How often do you see people going around asking their colleagues how much they earn, how much bonus they got, how much raise they got.

When it comes to money, sometimes it is best not to probe too much. 谈钱伤感情.

But between friends, colleagues and relatives, i feel that this is a rather inappropriate ques to ask. How often do you see people going around asking their colleagues how much they earn, how much bonus they got, how much raise they got.

of course la, between friends and colleagues this type of thing where got reveal one.. in our letter of appointment also got the clause 'do not reveal or discuss' lei.. !!

of course la, between friends and colleagues this type of thing where got reveal one.. in our letter of appointment also got the clause 'do not reveal or discuss' lei.. !!

No lah, not reveal exactly how much we earn. I don't tell that to anybody except hubby. Just asking would you be paiseh to admit your wife earns more than you.

wat if the woman earns more than the man? wun it hurt his ego?

It won't hurt me one bit. It's your life partner anyway, not your peers or something. As me for, I earned ~ $3.5K/mth, and my wife can earn $4K per week, It give me a relief cushion, as I got something to fall back on, if my finances get choked sometimes. Usually, I settle whatever I can, within my pay-range, and she saves up all her profits.

Personally, I think how much you earn is something that is private and confidential. Even large organisation and MNC do not reveal how much their top management get paid, just a range. (ok, fear of public of backlash is also another factor).

Of course, if husband and wife decided to be honest and disclose this, then it is good. Helps in managing the finance better. Honesty is the best policy is this case.

yes it is inappropriate but some older generation r so tactless...my hubby's aunt once ask me how much my hubby makes. i didnt give a straight answer but a range. but now that i think about it i dont even have to give an answer...so busybody.

im thinking of what to say should she ask again...since so kepo.

everything also want to know.

Aiyo, dun say relatives, even my neighbour will ask... !! The dear old lady just suddenly popped the qns in the lift, "Got 2k or not?" "er..... yeah, somewhere ard there lah" Then nvm, after that she actually volunteered her son's salary to me when I didn't even asked :dunno:

Edited by chew@PPLe

That's due to the generation gap...younger people have slightly more Western notions of individual privacy...whereas the older generation has this kampung trust in people and kampung openess about such things. When I was holidaying in China, there were these strangers asking point blank how much we earn in Singapore and translating the earnings to RMB! But, on the other hand, we Singaporeans are considered rude by people from some other countries for asking point blank where one another stay and how much the property/ reno. cost! :P Guilty as charged. :)

But, hopefully, these elderly people will not be victims of their own folly for disclosing too much...they make potential "apple" victims. My MIL once met this woman stranger who boasted to her that she stayed in a 5 room flat and has $100k in the bank! Duh!:notti:!

Edited by Homeowner

That's due to the generation gap...younger people have slightly more Western notions of individual privacy...whereas the older generation has this kampung trust in people and kampung openess about such things. When I was holidaying in China, there were these strangers asking point blank how much we earn in Singapore and translating the earnings to RMB! But, on the other hand, we Singaporeans are considered rude by people from some other countries for asking point blank where one another stay and how much the property/ reno. cost! :dribble: Guilty as charged. :notti:

But, hopefully, these elderly people will not be victims of their own folly for disclosing too much...they make potential "apple" victims. My MIL once met this woman stranger who boasted to her that she stayed in a 5 room flat and has $100k in the bank! Duh!:jawdrop:!

ai yo, these loudspeakers most probably got peanuts in the bank!! its proven to us in banking tat those tat wear lok kok lok kok may be millionaires whereas those in shirt and tie and coat have pennies in their accounts only.. :dribble:

ai yo, these loudspeakers most probably got peanuts in the bank!! its proven to us in banking tat those tat wear lok kok lok kok may be millionaires whereas those in shirt and tie and coat have pennies in their accounts only.. :jawdrop:

you remind me of the sales people from lee hwa jewellery. when they see people like hubby and i who always wear very causal and they don't entertain us. whereas sookee jewellery sales people always come and entertain. end of the day, lee hwa lost our 20k+ deal. sookee earned our 20k+ deal! :dribble::dribble::notti:

ai yo, these loudspeakers most probably got peanuts in the bank!! its proven to us in banking tat those tat wear lok kok lok kok may be millionaires whereas those in shirt and tie and coat have pennies in their accounts only.. :D

Haha..Linda, I agree with you. I'm in the same industry with you too but I'm not in the front-line. :P

So that means, the richer you are, the more lok kok you get....haha...i think next time me and my fiance should just wear our pajamas out lah :D

So that means, the richer you are, the more lok kok you get....haha...i think next time me and my fiance should just wear our pajamas out lah :P

HEy, I actually see people in Shanghai wearing their pyjamas out! :D Once, I even saw this well-dressed guy, gel-up hair and so on wearing those cute fluffy huge slippers in a tourisy area.... :D

HEy, I actually see people in Shanghai wearing their pyjamas out! :unsure: Once, I even saw this well-dressed guy, gel-up hair and so on wearing those cute fluffy huge slippers in a tourisy area.... :P

i also find that china people taste of wearing is quite weird. we went shanghai last nov and saw most men wore suit, long pant and slippers when going out. :P