Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
poseidon_gal

J & J 's Little Den

reno started liao.... finally :P

yesterday was the 1st day of hacking.. went down last night to take a look.. i pity my neighbours...confirm very noisy and dusty..

within 1 day, all the walls and floors were hacked off.. yet to clear debris..so it look like a warzone.. took some pic but then unable to upload ley..hmm will try again tonight

Darren told us that hacking will take 3 days.. so we will be meeting him again on thursday to confirm the tiles and the tiler will start laying the tiles liao..

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

yeah, reno started.

i also pity my neighbour. just now when i was passing my house undergoing reno, i can hear the drilling sound downstairs. imagine next door.

but only for first two days bah.

ur hacking progress is very fast leh.

Pictures!!!!

Day 1:

living room without balcony windows.. all walls and floors hack already

11052009299.jpg

Kitchen.. all kitchen cabinet gone liao..

11052009300.jpg

All the rooms... warzone!!!

11052009302.jpg

Day 2:

Living room all clear up... suddenly i realise the living room very big!!!!

12052009306.jpg

My new common toilet entrance. We shifted the door from extreme left to the middle of the toilet.

12052009308.jpg

Edited by poseidon_gal

I need help... please give me suggestions...

This is original kitchen entrance. On the right of the picture.

Lookingatdoor.jpg

I find the entrance too tiny so i ask darren to hack off the wall beside it.

This is the entrance now..after hacking done yesterday.

12052009307.jpg

Mr J find this entrance too big and he is concern that we will receive complains from old folks..and also worried abt the smoke/oil if we cook next time. I am fine with the huge entrance.. i like an open concept kitchen.. but then need to compromise mah..

This is our kitchen proposal. Darren original idea was to build a tall cabinet besides the fridge but then that will be 6ft of kitchen cabinet cost. So we decide not to do the tall cabinet. I personally feel that once the fridge is there and cabinets are build...the entrance wont look soo big afterall.. i am thinking of doing glass panel. One fixed panel on the left (the fridge side) and one silding panel to solve the smoke/oil issue that Mr J is worried about.. Any other suggestions??? i think glass panel also no cheap.... :(

13052009311.jpg

personally i like big entrances to. It brightens up the whole place and the space will looks more breathable. I am glassing up the big entrance as well to solve the smoke issues. however instead of sliding i am doing swing door.

ivy, so meaning one side of the panel will be fixed glass and the other side will be a swing door??? i dont think there is such a big pcs of glass to do swing door for the whole entrance..

haha i realise the our huge entrance is somehow of the same size..

ivy, so meaning one side of the panel will be fixed glass and the other side will be a swing door??? i dont think there is such a big pcs of glass to do swing door for the whole entrance..

haha i realise the our huge entrance is somehow of the same size..

yup. 3/4 of the opening will have fixed glass while 1 panel will be swing door.

yeah! the size is abt the same

I need help... please give me suggestions...

I find the entrance too tiny so i ask darren to hack off the wall beside it.

This is the entrance now..after hacking done yesterday.

Mr J find this entrance too big and he is concern that we will receive complains from old folks..and also worried abt the smoke/oil if we cook next time. I am fine with the huge entrance.. i like an open concept kitchen.. but then need to compromise mah..

This is our kitchen proposal. Darren original idea was to build a tall cabinet besides the fridge but then that will be 6ft of kitchen cabinet cost. So we decide not to do the tall cabinet. I personally feel that once the fridge is there and cabinets are build...the entrance wont look soo big afterall.. i am thinking of doing glass panel. One fixed panel on the left (the fridge side) and one silding panel to solve the smoke/oil issue that Mr J is worried about.. Any other suggestions??? i think glass panel also no cheap.... :(

Hi Poseidon_gal,

I am so excited as I just found that we are having the same layout. Infact, our measurement are identical except for the fact that mine is the mirror of you. :sport-smiley-018:

My ex-owner had hacked the kitchen opening just like you and put a 2-panel sliding door on it. And yes, the entrance to the kitchen is pretty big. The old sliding door that we inheritated doesn't work anymore as 1 panel sort-of came out of its track, so we are just having 1 panel as the entrance which I thought is quite spacious already. So your kitchen going to be pretty 'exposed' to the outside if you are going to install clear glass panels (viewing from the dining area).

And the other coincidence thing is...... my current kitchen cabinet layout is exactly how you draw on the paper (L-shape to the Fridge, instead of the usual L-shape to face the windows). The fridge is also at the same location, except for the sink support which is above the rubbish chute.

I wonder if your flat also have those beams lying inbetween the dining and living area (2 beams parallel along the passageway) ?

Rasp>> yes yes.. i have 1 huge beam that separate the dining and living area.. and another beam that runs across the passageway where my rooms are..

Rasp do you have a T-Blog?? can post pic of ur house (esp the kitchen) before reno..soo that i can have a "feel" of the L shape and the sliding doors.. hee thanks

Rasp>> yes yes.. i have 1 huge beam that separate the dining and living area.. and another beam that runs across the passageway where my rooms are..

Rasp do you have a T-Blog?? can post pic of ur house (esp the kitchen) before reno..soo that i can have a "feel" of the L shape and the sliding doors.. hee thanks

Hi Poseidon_gal,

"Another beam that runs across the passageway where your rooms are.." you mean that your flat only got 2 beams which is a like cross (t junction for your beams) ? I got another beam which is in the middle of the passageway (cutting across the passageway).

The 2 parallel beams that I mention earlier are where the walls of the storeroom extend all the way until the wall of the entrance. If you only have 1 beam in this direction, I wonder if one of mine can be hack off.

How do you intend to place your lightings? Are you doing any false lighting? I feel that these beams are making things difficult for the ceilings works. If do false ceiling, its like too low if I level them at the beam level (to hide them). If do L-box, it looked kinda of messy on top. So I don't know what to do with them. :dunno: Cracking my head to think of a nice solution for it.

Back to the kitchen, my old sliding doors are not clear glass. So cant see into the kitchen. I can try to take a picture of it for you. But my kitchen cabinet are in a horrible state and colour. They really don't look nice. :bleah: Don't know if they will affect your decision.

Day 3 8pm : Meet Darren , Richard which is the project manager and the main tiler Ah huat..

We went through all the tiles..realise deliveryman send in the wrong kitchen tiles..same design wrong colour.. Richard assure me that he will get it changed.

Confirm which tiles for where.. also confirm my washing machine location coz they need to do washing machine base.. i not doing fridge base liao.. just make do with the 4 pcs of movable fridge base stand

This process took 1 hrs 30 mins..

Darren request us to look for air con and think about where do we want to place our power points coz after tiling.. the electrician will come in next.. he gave us an air con guy contact ...so either we use his air con guy or we can go out and source for our own.. now the golden question is.. which air conditioner is good??? any recommandations???

And the kitchen entrance which Mr J think is very huge does not look very huge now after we did some measurement.. we will just leave the entrance.. no sliding door no swing door.. I told Mr J if really smoky/oily then next time install sliding door.. now no budget liao..

Edited by poseidon_gal

Day 3 8pm : Meet Darren , Richard which is the project manager and the main tiler Ah huat..

We went through all the tiles..realise deliveryman send in the wrong kitchen tiles..same design wrong colour.. Richard assure me that he will get it changed.

Confirm which tiles for where.. also confirm my washing machine location coz they need to do washing machine base.. i not doing fridge base liao.. just make do with the 4 pcs of movable fridge base stand

This process took 1 hrs 30 mins..

Darren request us to look for air con and think about where do we want to place our power points coz after tiling.. the electrician will come in next.. he gave us an air con guy contact ...so either we use his air con guy or we can go out and source for our own.. now the golden question is.. which air conditioner is good??? any recommandations???

And the kitchen entrance which Mr J think is very huge does not look very huge now after we did some measurement.. we will just leave the entrance.. no sliding door no swing door.. I told Mr J if really smoky/oily then next time install sliding door.. now no budget liao..

hi PGal, why aren't u doing fridge base?

as for air-conditioners, i just chanced upon this article in renotalk. can take a look.

http://www.renotalk.com/main/review0107102...w0107102006.php

i personally like mitsubishi brand...

u must also check which type is easy to clean...some aren't...hard to maintain...

realise that putting the 4 pcs of movable fridge base "leg" looks okie..that is why i am not doing the fridge base..no intention to put the fridge directly on the kitchen floor.

Day 4 : fixing up the old common toilet entrance with hollow blocks

16052009321.jpg

I dont understand the purpose of "washing" the tiles..anyone can enlighten me?

16052009323.jpg

All my tiles are ready..tilers have already start work by water proofing the 2 toilets..

16052009322.jpg