Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mery

Looking For An Id/Contractor

To add on what Charmainecc had mentioned, I guess the best is to bring the I.D. to the house to do exact measurements and to see what can/cannot be done, what need to do and give a final quote based on the actual requirements.

Alot of designers quote based on floor plan. You will realize alot of things would have missed out in the quote. Some intentionally (in order to match your budget) but some unintentionally (cos involve too many things). After you signed the quotation and when you realize something need to be done, it's time for the IDs to sharpen their knife and "chop" you.. hehe.. they will leave no room for negotiation.

Before sign, everything can be nego.. but once signed... u can only sigh~

Hi all,

I would like to share my experience in searching for ID/contractor for the past 1 month. I had called quite a few contractor/ID recommended in this forum. Most of them couldn't make it (about 4 of them) simply because the design & quality is totally out, not even passing my minimum expectation.

Please beware for the posting in renovation forum. Always seek for workmanship.

Be careful in selection of ID/Contractor:

1. DO NOT sign quotation untill you are certain what is given (material selection (what brand, range....), design, workmanship, actual measurement & payment term)

2. DO NOT get ID with FREE GIFTs. Just think about who will pay for it at the end? There is no such thing call free lunch in the world.

3. DO NOT get ID who helds exibition in EXPO as the rental in EXPO is sssssoooo expensive.

4. Some ID are good at sales talk and presentation. Be alert to what is sold to you not what is presented/display.

5. DO NOT believe in lifetime warranty. Some may dissappear/close down the next year. When there is problem arise, some just attend once or twice, that is all. So don't believe in this lifetime thing. ID could just easily change the company's name, relocation,disappear...

6. What is promised got to be written down on the paper. No oral promise.

7. How often ID would visit the site?

8. I know that usually after signing the quotation blindly, every single changes, they would charge, charge... This is the tactic for them to earn money. SO, do discuss in details as mentioned in no. 1 before signing up the paper.

Just to share for quotation that i got.

Wardrobe with internal in color per ft = range from $240 to $360

Iquartz = $145 per ft

Kitchen cabinet (white inside) = $120 per ft

I have experience an ID in IMM, refuse to let me have a copy of the quotation. Something is fishy. So we have rejected this ID.

Per my experience

Kitchen worktop = i prefer black galaxy/blue pearl granite ( use black galaxy for 9 years with no problem at all). If you have budget, can opt for quartz, just a little bit more. Choose for secondary option of quartz. Ceacerstone is too expensive, about 40% more compare to granite's price.

Backsplash = I do not prefer stainless steel as backsplash as it is very difficult to maintain. I have used it for 9 years. I prefer tempered glass as it is easy to clean and nice. But my ID said that for heavy user, the color sprayed on it will turn yellow and won't be nice. So , not recommended for heavy cooking. My new house will be using the existing tile provided by HDB.

Lamination = go for reliable brand eg: EDL (modern, nice & reliable), Lam chuan. This is what i know.

Window grill = use the normal hollow one will do. My existing flat's brown window grills have been with us more than 10 years with excellent condition till now.

Hob = I personally prefer Rinnai as the flame is strong and good for chinese cooking.

Air-cond = we use sharp but the utility bill is scary. Quiet. We are going to use Mitsubishi converter.

Edited by angmoh

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi guys, i am looking to get an ID to help me out on my renovations. Went to a few ID firms and had quite a few bad experiences with them. Neither was I rude nor was complacent.

Hi all,

I would like to share my experience in searching for ID/contractor for the past 1 month. I had called quite a few contractor/ID recommended in this forum. Most of them couldn't make it (about 4 of them) simply because the design & quality is totally out, not even passing my minimum expectation.

Please beware for the posting in renovation forum. Always seek for workmanship.

Be careful in selection of ID/Contractor:

1. DO NOT sign quotation untill you are certain what is given (material selection (what brand, range....), design, workmanship, actual measurement & payment term)

2. DO NOT get ID with FREE GIFTs. Just think about who will pay for it at the end? There is no such thing call free lunch in the world.

3. DO NOT get ID who helds exibition in EXPO as the rental in EXPO is sssssoooo expensive.

4. Some ID are good at sales talk and presentation. Be alert to what is sold to you not what is presented/display.

5. DO NOT believe in lifetime warranty. Some may dissappear/close down the next year. When there is problem arise, some just attend once or twice, that is all. So don't believe in this lifetime thing. ID could just easily change the company's name, relocation,disappear...

6. What is promised got to be written down on the paper. No oral promise.

7. How often ID would visit the site?

8. I know that usually after signing the quotation blindly, every single changes, they would charge, charge... This is the tactic for them to earn money. SO, do discuss in details as mentioned in no. 1 before signing up the paper.

Just to share for quotation that i got.

Wardrobe with internal in color per ft = range from $240 to $360

Iquartz = $145 per ft

Kitchen cabinet (white inside) = $120 per ft

I have experience an ID in IMM, refuse to let me have a copy of the quotation. Something is fishy. So we have rejected this ID.

Per my experience

Kitchen worktop = i prefer black galaxy/blue pearl granite ( use black galaxy for 9 years with no problem at all). If you have budget, can opt for quartz, just a little bit more. Choose for secondary option of quartz. Ceacerstone is too expensive, about 40% more compare to granite's price.

Backsplash = I do not prefer stainless steel as backsplash as it is very difficult to maintain. I have used it for 9 years. I prefer tempered glass as it is easy to clean and nice. But my ID said that for heavy user, the color sprayed on it will turn yellow and won't be nice. So , not recommended for heavy cooking. My new house will be using the existing tile provided by HDB.

Lamination = go for reliable brand eg: EDL (modern, nice & reliable), Lam chuan. This is what i know.

Window grill = use the normal hollow one will do. My existing flat's brown window grills have been with us more than 10 years with excellent condition till now.

Hob = I personally prefer Rinnai as the flame is strong and good for chinese cooking.

Air-cond = we use sharp but the utility bill is scary. Quiet. We are going to use Mitsubishi converter.

cant agree more on the above!

for the free gift part - i guess if they are giving some free services like part of the hacking/installation/labour as free should be fine... not like hacking will cost a lot more...

i suppose we need to exercise some precaution to certain fine details in order to know that we're not taken for a ride. My ID actually sat down with me and went through every single details to ensure nothing was left out. At least i know he's not leaving out ny single detail.

as for the laminates mentioned, i recalled he had shown me more than just EDI and Lam Chuan... there're Jennings and some others too....

good luck to those looking for IDs!

cant agree more on the above!

for the free gift part - i guess if they are giving some free services like part of the hacking/installation/labour as free should be fine... not like hacking will cost a lot more...

i suppose we need to exercise some precaution to certain fine details in order to know that we're not taken for a ride. My ID actually sat down with me and went through every single details to ensure nothing was left out. At least i know he's not leaving out ny single detail.

as for the laminates mentioned, i recalled he had shown me more than just EDI and Lam Chuan... there're Jennings and some others too....

good luck to those looking for IDs!

Do the IDs restrict the no of times we can change the 3D design or they will change as many times until we are satisfied with the design ?

Reno is not a game with 3 lifes/chance.

We live with the reno we paid for. So we did manage to proceed till we like what we saw.

Do the IDs restrict the no of times we can change the 3D design or they will change as many times until we are satisfied with the design ?

From what I know, if the ID firm engage a 3rd party to draw, then every change incur a cost cos its not cheap to engage a professional drafter to work out a good 3D drawing. If your id is kind, he/she will absorb for a few simple changes cos drafter will charge for every change, but will never give you the working file (I know because I asked for direct contractor contact before my reno,and got a lot of contacts which I called each of them. But I decided to get ID cos realised that there are just too many people to call and coordinate, and I got no time and think that it is not worth saving the money and make yourself so busy). Anyway, those $$$ minded id will ask for top up for every changes.

Best if can find ID who can draw themselves cos changing of color/texture and rendering is actually fast and easy. But if change of design too drastically will take time and effort. Lucky my ID can draw himself, and is accommodating my request to keep changing my design (not drastic change of course), and even brought his laptop to change in front of me, show me the rendered pic until I am happy with the design. Kudo to my ID Roland.

Not advertising but just to speak my mind. An accommodating and flexible ID is hard to find, especially a patient one and responsive. Imagine that day time they run the project site, evening and weekend they meet new client to get sales, and night time to do quotation, design, drawing. I pity them. My id always put new files and updates in my Dropbox between 1 to 5am during my project period. Hard earn money.

Hope this helps.

As for me, I feel that ID is not really necessary. Unless you have totally no idea of how u want ur house to look like, else get a good contractor should be pretty much enough. I agreed that there is no such thing as lifetime warranty. Often than not, once money is paid, they will siam till dunno where. Hence normally I find contractors thru recommendations, especially thru friends or relatives where you can actually see the workmanship or quality. Free 'showroom' for you to view! =D Touch wood but so far the contractor I engaged is very responsible. not to mention, he also know about designing and stuff (just that not into 3D or computer stuff. purely hand sketches) so as for the fees for designing and drawing wont be that much compared to get a pure designer. Lastly, of cos, trust must be there between both parties if not cannot look forward to long term engagement. my 2 cents worth here.

Hi, we just completed reno for our 4-room flat at Punggol. We didn't engage any ID firm as we roughly knew what we wanted and we though it would be more fun going through forums and sourcing stuff by ourselves (1st time home owners mah heh). Plus it would definitely save us money which would mean having extra cash to get better furniture!

Anyway, we managed to find our own carpenter for our kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanity tops, walk-in wardrobe and cabinets for storage space. I thought his price was rather reasonable and also cos he doesn't work for an ID firm I guess he does not have to earn such a wide profit margin. We felt that what we paid for was worth the service and quality. We spent around 6k in total for carpentry. Also, he gave us a lot of other contacts for tilers, painters, plumbers etc and we ended up using some of them.

He didn't provide us with those 3d drawings that are so common nowadays but he drew the designs himself! I was quite impressed! Overall we are very satisfied with his service - good workmanship, honest and very approachable. I gave his contact to a few of my relatives already :)

Just to share with other forummers, his name is Gary. You can contact him at888 8888 or redstarinterior@gmail.com. He was working on a few other projects while doing our house and he said he had to turn down a few jobs. You can just try contacting him to check his availability.

So many newbies member join in just to promote their contractors, and in many cases themselves. Members beware.

New members show pics thanks.

So many newbies member join in just to promote their contractors, and in many cases themselves. Members beware.

New members show pics thanks.

Usually I will not take in the words for those who have only several posts and keep promoting a contractor/ID...

anyway zhiz we will be engaging Inside Living through your recommendation.. haha

Edited by angmoh

Angmoh: great to know. Feel free pm me if u wanna check anything.

Goh: read that sky is quite ex. make sure check their thread on this forum as well

Hi,

I'm new here. Am looking for a contractor (no need ID) to reno my resale 3 room flat.

Working on a tight budget and hope anyone here can intro me a good contractor.

Impt is the after sales service. Do PM me .

Thanks