Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
san20sg

Renovating A Geylang Apartment

both of us are working full time,& by the time we come back home it's almost 8pm. My mum is monitoring them but she's always ok with everything kind.

My hubby is the bochup type & I am heavily pregnant too tired to check on every single thing. He's the kind that everything also ok kind, so we are like quarrelling almost everyday. So sian! It's so unfair that I had to do so many things.

Hey san20sg, Relax ya since u pregnant liao.

Dun get too stress, not good for u & baby. :sport-smiley-004:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The kitchen cabinets look quite cheap loh, not even comparable to ikea.

it's not chipboard, they say it's 3 plywood. is that as bad?

Your kitchen cabinet is using solid plywood with laminates on the exterior and pvc (cheap & lousy) or polyester (costly & good) laminate on the interior. The ikea cabinet will look better due to the exterior is high gloss spray paint. Spray paint is usually done for door, the white base cabinet (carcass) you see in Ikea is completely made of chipboard; thin laminates are applied to all the side.

If you want to achieve high gloss effect like Ikea for your custom made kitchen cabinet, you must communicate your requirement to your ID and have them quote you. There are many way to achieve it, using PU high gloss wood paint, using solid core laminates or use high gloss laminates with ABS trimming applied. This way your kitchen cabinet can be as beautiful as those imported kitchen cabinet you often see in magazine.

If you choose such high quality kitchen cabinet, then the counter top material you cannot choose polyester/acrylic mix (price about $60 pfr) or even 100% acrylic (like what you see in Ikea; price about $120 pfr), not even granite/marble... you must go for quartz (premium grade; price about $280 pfr), as for the backsplash you can opt to use crystalise glass (price about $12 psf) or even single slab of limestone, custom cut for you (price about $200~400 psf).

Of cos the hardware must also use time-tested high quality (Blum or Hettich) hinges, drawer unit (not referring to drawer track), lift up system completely with automated close servo-drive.

For a 10 ft top and 15 ft bottom can easily set you back by minimum $20,000.

Edited by taichipanda

Your kitchen cabinet is using solid plywood with laminates on the exterior and pvc (cheap & lousy) or polyester (costly & good) laminate on the interior. The ikea cabinet will look better due to the exterior is high gloss spray paint. Spray paint is usually done for door, the white base cabinet (carcass) you see in Ikea is completely made of chipboard; thin laminates are applied to all the side.

If you want to achieve high gloss effect like Ikea for your custom made kitchen cabinet, you must communicate your requirement to your ID and have them quote you. There are many way to achieve it, using PU high gloss wood paint, using solid core laminates or use high gloss laminates with ABS trimming applied. This way your kitchen cabinet can be as beautiful as those imported kitchen cabinet you often see in magazine.

If you choose such high quality kitchen cabinet, then the counter top material you cannot choose polyester/acrylic mix (price about $60 pfr) or even 100% acrylic (like what you see in Ikea; price about $120 pfr), not even granite/marble... you must go for quartz (premium grade; price about $280 pfr), as for the backsplash you can opt to use crystalise glass (price about $12 psf) or even single slab of limestone, custom cut for you (price about $200~400 psf).

Of cos the hardware must also use time-tested high quality (Blum or Hettich) hinges, drawer unit (not referring to drawer track), lift up system completely with automated close servo-drive.

For a 10 ft top and 15 ft bottom can easily set you back by minimum $20,000.

I really don't know about renovations or anything remotely about it. I don't have very high expectations though, just expecting simple clean design & durable materials. So when I compare this kitchen to my current place & my parents' old hdb flat at sengkang, I was concerned that the wood seems so much lighter, hollow & cheap & worried it will rot within a year.

I reckon they should be using PVC & not polyester. The kitchen cabinets cost about $3200 in total (l-shape abt 17" or less top, 15" or 16" bottom minus one fridge size)& $1220 kitchen top (should be polyester - at $80pf). There is no backsplash. Should I request one? Can we just use big piece of aluminium foil?

They have already installed all the kitchen cabinets, sink, hood, only left the stove, sink tap, & kitchen top.

Edited by san20sg

both of us are working full time,& by the time we come back home it's almost 8pm. My mum is monitoring them but she's always ok with everything kind.

My hubby is the bochup type & I am heavily pregnant too tired to check on every single thing. He's the kind that everything also ok kind, so we are like quarrelling almost everyday. So sian! It's so unfair that I had to do so many things.

Take care! I know how you feel.. I am at 33 wks now.. Going thru reno at this stage is really very stressful. But try to take it easy and look forward to welcoming your dragon baby.

Hey san20sg, Relax ya since u pregnant liao.

Dun get too stress, not good for u & baby. :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks, but I really doing everything leh. Not a single thing by hubby. It's so exhausting.

Take care! I know how you feel.. I am at 33 wks now.. Going thru reno at this stage is really very stressful. But try to take it easy and look forward to welcoming your dragon baby.

me too at 32 weeks. do you start having these backaches? it was so bad i can't sleep at night.

i didn't even have time to prepare for baby stuff. Luckily got many good friends who gave me all their baby stuff & prepared a list of things I should prepare.

Edited by san20sg

me too at 32 weeks. i didn't even have time to prepare for baby stuff. Luckily got many good friends who gave me all their baby stuff & prepared a list of things I should prepare.

Hahahha. Good to hear that.

U got good forum members here to give u reno advise.

And a good channel to air your frustration. LOL :sport-smiley-004:

Just joking.

Take care ya. :thumbs up:

I really don't know about renovations or anything remotely about it. I don't have very high expectations though, just expecting simple clean design & durable materials. So when I compare this kitchen to my current place & my parents' old hdb flat at sengkang, I was concerned that the wood seems so light, hollow & cheap & worried it will rot within a year.

I reckon they should be using PVC & not polyester. The kitchen cabinets cost about $3200 in total (l-shape abt 17" or less top, 15" or 16" bottom minus one fridge size)& $1220 kitchen top (should be polyester - at $80pf). There is no backsplash.

It will not rot unless you splash water onto the wood and the wood area is constantly wet. Tell the plumber when he is install your kitchen sink to glue the sink to your solid top using oil-based silicon if you are doing top mount, for under mount, put extra oil-based silicon to seal the gap to prevent water leak or sip through.

My kitchen cabinet is about 20 feet in length (both side add up), cost me $6000; the quartz counter top is about 16 feet, cost $4000. No backsplash too. Hardware is a combination of Blum and Hettich but no expensive servo-drive.

Take care of yourself, dont stress. Come RenoTalk if you need to talk about your reno. Relax lah. :jammin:

Edited by taichipanda

Btw, I had this problem with my windows/balcony. Thinking of changing all the windows since they are more than 10+ years old but the MCST told me that if i have to change, I need to change back to the same ugly dirty blue colour, as this will affect the facade of the building. So I am hesitant to spend $2-3k to change to these ugly windows again.

Can anyone advise if we can DIY the colour to black from the interior? spray paint, paint, wallpaper, or sticker film these window panes/frames?

photofwk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

photo1rbw.jpg

photo2phw.jpg

Btw, I had this problem with my windows/balcony. Thinking of changing all the windows since they are more than 10+ years old but the MCST told me that if i have to change, I need to change back to the same ugly dirty blue colour, as this will affect the facade of the building. So I am hesitant to spend $2-3k to change to these ugly windows again.

Can anyone advise if we can DIY the colour to black from the interior? spray paint, paint, wallpaper, or sticker film these window panes/frames?

photofwk.jpg

photo1rbw.jpg

photo2phw.jpg

If windows still useable and not spoil in anyway, then dont change.

If you really must change then discuss the requirement with your ID, tell them from outside must see blue color window frame; black color window frame when view from inside the house. Ask your ID to quote. You must provide them a sample of the blue color for them to follow.

Can also try spray paint to black frame from inside or paste black sticker (bought from art shop).

Edited by taichipanda

It will not rot unless you splash water onto the wood and the wood area is constantly wet. Tell the plumber when he is install your kitchen sink to glue the sink to your solid top using oil-based silicon if you are doing top mount, for under mount, put extra oil-based silicon to seal the gap to prevent water leak or sip through.

My kitchen cabinet is about 20 feet in length (both side add up), cost me $6000; the quartz counter top is about 16 feet, cost $4000. No backsplash too. Hardware is a combination of Blum and Hettich but no expensive servo-drive.

Take care of yourself, dont stress. Come RenoTalk if you need to talk about your reno. Relax lah. :jammin:

Many thanks! Im really grateful to u all! There are really many helpful forummers here who give really useful advice leh. Another helpful place is the blacklisted id/Reno contractor group in Facebook- they are really supportive.

If windows still useable and not spoil in anyway, then dont change.

If you really must change then discuss the requirement with your ID, tell them from outside must see blue color window frame; black color window frame when view from inside the house. Ask your ID to quote. You must provide them a sample of the blue color for them to follow.

Can also try spray paint to black frame from inside or paste black sticker (bought from art shop).

Which artshop sells these black sticker?? Thanks

Take care, sis san20sg

Renovation is really tiring especially if you are carrying a baby.

There are many forummers who are quite helpful like taichipanda!

Thanks all.

The contractor is coming today to clean the floors for preparation for the polishing tomorrow. He W also clear the clogged drainage in the maid's toilet n master bathroom think his subcontractors wash down sand/cement water down my pipes I'm not too sure.

Wardrobe guy w be coming this thurs. kitchen top comin this wed.

Hopefully can close the renovations by end this week.