Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

thanks... do u like it that study light? was aiming for that as well lol. maybe the longer one hah

I wasn't sure whether to place it in the spare bedroom or in the study but after its up, I was glad I chose the study. I quite like it with the warm lights at night.

• Like 1

Flooring was laid earlier today and its all done except for a little strip in the main bedroom where they ran out of materials. We are now another step closer towards completion and I have become more anxious ever since I started on the new job.

On the episode of the missing part from one of the Taobao lights we ordered, the agent has managed to get the merchant July to send a replacement but it wasn't without drama. I sent the photo below to illustrate what was missing and according to the agent, the merchant wasn't going to entertain any request without a photo showing only the parts that I have received for the affect item. What kind of screwed up logic is that? :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

Here I am, providing a photo showing the parts that make up a complete unit and highlighting what is missing in the process and that isn't comprehensive enough.

JulyLightMissingPart.jpg

I actually lost my patience in the process and told the agent to just crop the photo I provided. I was told that was when the merchant finally relented and they will be sending the missing part with Peeka footing the shipping costs.

Anyway, here are the photos of the vinyl flooring.

Living Room

VinylFlooringLivingRoom.jpg

Passageway

VinylFlooringPassageway.jpg

Study

VinylFlooringStudy.jpg

Bedroom 1

VinylFlooringBedroom1.jpg

Edited by mavicaste

Wow thanks for such informative and helpful tblog! I'm looking forward to the completion of ur house coz it seems to be awesome alr!

Wow thanks for such informative and helpful tblog! I'm looking forward to the completion of ur house coz it seems to be awesome alr!

We too can't wait for the completion and are eager to move in to our own space. I have been staying with my in-laws after my wedding in July last year as it is more convenient for my wife (and her clothes) even though both our parents' home are 5-room units in Sengkang. Also, there isn't enough space for at least a queen size bed in my own room as I have a solid L-shape study desk which I intend to let my father take over as his study.

Since January this year, we have started hoarding furniture, appliances, kitchen ware and even crockery whenever we see a good deal. In fact, we just went to Robinsons today to pay the balance of our mattress, which we have locked in since April 2012, to take advantage of the extra 3% rebate for a total of 8% cash rebate. We picked up some bedlinens and a steam iron along the way and as such, there really isn't much storage remaining.

• Like 1

Flooring was laid earlier today and its all done except for a little strip in the main bedroom where they ran out of materials. We are now another step closer towards completion and I have become more anxious ever since I started on the new job.

On the episode of the missing part from one of the Taobao lights we ordered, the agent has managed to get the merchant July to send a replacement but it wasn't without drama. I sent the photo below to illustrate what was missing and according to the agent, the merchant wasn't going to entertain any request without a photo showing only the parts that I have received for the affect item. What kind of screwed up logic is that? :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

Here I am, providing a photo showing the parts that make up a complete unit and highlighting what is missing in the process and that isn't comprehensive enough.

JulyLightMissingPart.jpg

I actually lost my patience in the process and told the agent to just crop the photo I provided. I was told that was when the merchant finally relented and they will be sending the missing part with Peeka footing the shipping costs.

Anyway, here are the photos of the vinyl flooring.

Living Room

VinylFlooringLivingRoom.jpg

Passageway

VinylFlooringPassageway.jpg

Study

VinylFlooringStudy.jpg

Bedroom 1

VinylFlooringBedroom1.jpg

can i know which company flooring is this?

can i know which company flooring is this?

This is 5mm vinyl flooring with click system marketed under the name of "Vinyl Vista", we were introduced to it by another ID before we met AL for the first time as our initial plan was to use laminates. Since AL also carried this brand, we just got it from him without giving much thought to it.

Hi Mavi,

When you sign the contract with Starcool, did you manage to state in the contract on the materials used? Like for example,

-1/2 inch rubber insulation for G23 copper pipe

-16mm diameter PVC pipe

-Wire standards

I was thinking of just taking up Gain City offers for system 4.

Edited by eno

Hi Mavi,

When you sign the contract with Starcool, did you manage to state in the contract on the materials used? Like for example,

-1/2 inch rubber insulation for G23 copper pipe

-16mm diameter PVC pipe

-Wire standards

I was thinking of just taking up Gain City offers for system 4.

Hi eno,

All the specifications of the materials as well as warranty terms are clearly stated on their quotation.

Gain City used to have a very bad reputation for poor installation workmanship as they outsourced the installation to third-party vendors but it seem lately the reviews have been better. Still, if I were you, I wouldn't take the chance for one of the major appliance of our homes as its the installation that makes or breaks the entire experience. Sure, leaks could be rectified but who will foot the bill if the trunking has already been boxed up and painted?

Edited by mavicaste

Would not the 1/2" trunking be very thick? What is the normal aircon insulation thickness suitable for HDB?

Would not the 1/2" trunking be very thick? What is the normal aircon insulation thickness suitable for HDB?

I believe air conditioner insulation are like random-access memory, the more the merrier. The energy efficiency will be directly affected by how well insulated the pipes to reduce heat gain. 1/2" is quite the norm these days but if you are concerned about the resulting thickness, you can always opt out of the upgrads. When it comes to efficient energy use, I always choose function over form.

Agreed and thanks for confirming. Actually there are two rubber insulation needed. One for the copper pipe and the other is PVC pipe.

The thicker the rubber insulation the better but 1/2 inch is like the better standard.

Yes totally agree the installation part is the most important.

hey mavicaste, will you have an 'easy' managed switch to recommend?

'easy' in terms of the configuration interface

Thanks!

Hi instantial,

For this you will have to do a bit of research. My choice of the Dell PowerConnect 2824 is mostly due to the fact I got it at no cost and it is a reliable product.

Hey Mavi,

One question. When you distribute your cat6e trunking from the study room, how did you run the cable as it enters the room? ie. there is a door. When you close the door, the cable get squashed up right?