Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

ya....i just started switching off all the switches rather than putting it on standby and see if it helps. But $280 is too dramatically high. I am even arranging for an aircon service technician to check if my air-con is spoilt or whatever coz i dun think my living lifestyle justifies such high payout....

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi all....reviving this thread as I am totally flabbergasted with the past 2 months utilities bill i received. Thus thought that I seek your help and insight.

My place is a resale 4-room flat. We are using the air-condition units left by the previous owners. In my flat, there are only 2 adults (who leave the house at 7.30 am and return at around 7.30 pm), a domestic helper, a 3-year old gal (who leave the house at 7.30 am and return at around 2 pm), and a 5-month old baby boy (who only comes back over the weekend).

For the past 2 months, my utilities bill was $200 (Aug 08) and $280 (Sep 08). Our daily lifestyle is as follows:

1) 1 unit of air-con is switched on from 10 pm to 7 am every day

2) 1 unit of air-con is switch on for about 6 hours (2 hours interval or more) on Sat and Sun

3) washing machine is run either once every 2 days or 3 days

4) all other electrical appliances are on standby switch

5) 1 standing fan is switched on from 10 pm to 7 am every day

6) ceiling fan is switched on from 7 pm to 9.30 pm (approximately)

7) IP surveillance camera is switched on 24 hours

8) cooking is done 5 days per week

thanks

Your domestic helper?

thought that she might be the culprit too. but when we view the surveilliance camera recording, she is always doing household chores. so can't be her. furthermore, we dun have electronics devices such as radio for her. Also we do not have items like vaccum cleaners etc

Edited by fanguojun

thought that she might be the culprit too. but when we view the surveilliance camera recording, she is always doing household chores. so can't be her. furthermore, we dun have electronics devices such as radio for her. Also we do not have items like vaccum cleaners etc

moved will take it somewhere else

Edited by Junkay

hi fanguojun,

How old is your air-con? Old air con tends to take up more power. I guess it is not inverter?

Besides, do u have electric heater at home(those that can keep warm)? And your fridge, energy saving?

hi chronograph,

boy, i am not sure how old is my air-con. Only know that it is a sharp brand. I suspect that it could be my air-con too thus getting a technician to check as well.

I have an instant heater and a water storage heater. Both are only switched on when we are going to use it. Fridge is a F&P which is with a 4-ticks sticker

hi chronograph,

boy, i am not sure how old is my air-con. Only know that it is a sharp brand. I suspect that it could be my air-con too thus getting a technician to check as well.

I have an instant heater and a water storage heater. Both are only switched on when we are going to use it. Fridge is a F&P which is with a 4-ticks sticker

Better to have it check, hopefully it is not gas leakage otherwise your air con compressor will be working extra hard non stop to cool down your rooms.

The aircon in question, it depends on what type of system for aircon is used & yes older models do use alot of power. Secondly, how many degrees do you set it at everyday? The colder the temperature, the aircon will have to generate MORE energy to cool the room. So it is better to set it at 25-26 deg approximately. It may not be so cold but it will keep the room cool & generate LESS energy to do so.

Your electrical applicances on standby switches, they consume ALOT of electricity being plugged in with the 'On' button even if you did not start your appliances. There was an article in the papers some time ago on electricity usage and I think it mentioned that standby electrical switch can take up at least 3 days worth of electrical supply.

Your cooking powered on electricity btw? Which would mean its either induction or vitroceramic hob you're using?

There is another thing you might need to factor in. The room lights. Sometimes the lights you buy may not have energy saving bulbs as it does not fit in, so it uses other types of bulbs that require high-voltage. My living room & study room lights are high voltage. So I dun siwtch the lights on for so long as I usually use lamps with energy saving bulbs.

Edited by BunBun

thanks for all the replies. had arranged for technician to check the air-con tmr.

Did a test last night by switching off all the electrical appliances that I had and monitor how fast the meter spins. It seems that my downlights and refrigerator are the main "suckers".

However, my F&P fridge had 4 ticks (enegry saving) and checking on nccc.gov.sg, my particular model's electrical bill consumption should be in the range of $131 per year only. Does anyone knows if increasing / decreasing the refrigerator's temperature will have an impact? Or should I ask a technician to check as well since the fridge was stored in a warehouse for 6 months while i was scouring for a new place after I had sold off my previous unit?

The aircon in question, it depends on what type of system for aircon is used & yes older models do use alot of power. Secondly, how many degrees do you set it at everyday? The colder the temperature, the aircon will have to generate MORE energy to cool the room. So it is better to set it at 25-26 deg approximately. It may not be so cold but it will keep the room cool & generate LESS energy to do so.

Your electrical applicances on standby switches, they consume ALOT of electricity being plugged in with the 'On' button even if you did not start your appliances. There was an article in the papers some time ago on electricity usage and I think it mentioned that standby electrical switch can take up at least 3 days worth of electrical supply.

Your cooking powered on electricity btw? Which would mean its either induction or vitroceramic hob you're using?

There is another thing you might need to factor in. The room lights. Sometimes the lights you buy may not have energy saving bulbs as it does not fit in, so it uses other types of bulbs that require high-voltage. My living room & study room lights are high voltage. So I dun siwtch the lights on for so long as I usually use lamps with energy saving bulbs.

Yup, I kept the air-con at the recommended 25 degrees and it's a system 3.

For cooking, i am using the normal gas hob.

Will change the downlights to those energy savings one and see what happens. When I bought from the lightings from the shop, I had specifically asked for energy saving tubes. Guess they might have smoked me or simply i had too many downlights switched on. (3 downlights with each double tube 18W)

hi chronograph,

hi, aircon could be the prime suspect as the older model aircon, tend to consume more electricity.

By the way, what is your thermostat setting at? eg 24degC ??

hi, aircon could be the prime suspect as the older model aircon, tend to consume more electricity.

By the way, what is your thermostat setting at? eg 24degC ??

thermostat setting is at 25degreeC

Yup, I kept the air-con at the recommended 25 degrees and it's a system 3.

opps, i miss this..

2 cents input, it will be lower consumption if you set the temperature to be lower, say 23 to 24degC.

as at higher temperature setting, the aircon will cut out faster when the room reaches the setting.

however, it will need to cut in again very soon, when the thermostat sense the temperature is rising.

reason because, everytime the compressor cut in, there will be s surge of power supply been drawn and high ampere will be shown if you have a electrical thong to measure it. it will take a large current to start the compressor all over again after it is cut out. This process will be repeat over many times oin the night.

lastly, frequent cut in and out of compressor, will shorten the life of the aircon system.

hope this helps.

no idea about the energy saving campaign.. :(

basically, aircon technology have evolve over the years, from piston compressor to rotary to screw etc..

perhap the 25degC is focus at those household with newer "energy saving" aircon?

maybe you may want to experiment 2 different setting to monitor the consumption?

hope this helps.

for air-con consumption, one of the way to reduce it will be to aircon-proof your room

check the gap below your room door

if it's pretty big get those rubber slips to prevent the cold air from escaping

if your room is aircon-proofed, switching on the air-con for 2hrs and thereafter just use the fan should be as cool :yamseng: