Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

9 hours ago, silentjess said:

Hi Joywalker,

i have similar layout as yours and i plan to seal the bedroom side of the wall.
although you were able to designate the shower to that corner and have the basin opposite the toilet, may i know if you broke the warranty to do this? I suggested to swap position of the basin (beside toiletbowl) to where the shower(in middle of toilet, opposite the toilet bowl) and the contractor told me it would require hacking to do piping and will break the HDB 5yr warranty.

My ID never hacked anything. Think he just re-directed the pipe for the water flow from the basin. 

I've opted out everything so my toilet was bare. (But a toilet boil was there surprisingly when I got my keys. :) )

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 6/17/2021 at 11:35 PM, JOYWALKER said:

My ID never hacked anything. Think he just re-directed the pipe for the water flow from the basin. 

I've opted out everything so my toilet was bare. (But a toilet boil was there surprisingly when I got my keys. :) )

Thanks for your reply. That's strange. Mine is also bare but came with toilet bowl and sunk as default. I told the contractor to reroute but he said shower has a different height from basin so require hacking to reroute. Hmm. Thank you for the reply!

Edited by silentjess

On 4/4/2021 at 3:02 PM, mmoh said:

I think you can overlay tiles on vinyl. only issue is when you do that, you have a height gap between living room and kitchen, unless you also overlay your kitchen and bathroom. Vinyl is not that difficult to clean. But then I dont use robot so no idea on how easy it is.

There is pre-built gas pipe in your kitchen, if you dont need it, it will just stay there. It is bright yellow.

I dont see any issue with overlaying tiles over existing bathroom tiles.

You can get a main contractor who can liaise with various contractor for you. other contractor means plumber, electrician, painter, carpenter and etc. I think 15k should be able to cover those you mentioned, depends the cost of tiles you select.

Cant comment on wall hung toilet.

barn door - dont think it will be good for sound insulation. glass door yes, but cleaning and risk or breaking higher. what about PD door with glass in the middle?

You can ask around your friends and colleagues for referral. Or if you see some tblog who the threadstarter highly recommend their contractor, you can PM them and ask for contacts. But some contractor will want to see the physical unit to provide quote.

no worries, ask whatever you have. :)

that will be andotang. 

Thank you so much mmoh and jothm for your kind and patient advice!! 🙏🙏 Noted your advice and will try to research further too. Also I just got an email from HDB informing that my bto is delayed for at least one year! 😭 Instead of Q1 2023, it is now Q1 2024 for now, so I guess more time to research and save. 😅 

Sorry I have two more question, for the refrigerator, is the raised platform really needed? And for the bomb shelter to be converted to a wardrobe, is there anything that should be done to prevent mold or bugs going into the clothes? Because it doesn't have the closed doors like a normal wardrobe.

Thank you!! And hope everyone is safe and healthy and vaccinated :)

On 6/27/2021 at 12:53 PM, Starskies said:

Thank you so much mmoh and jothm for your kind and patient advice!! 🙏🙏 Noted your advice and will try to research further too. Also I just got an email from HDB informing that my bto is delayed for at least one year! 😭 Instead of Q1 2023, it is now Q1 2024 for now, so I guess more time to research and save. 😅 

Sorry I have two more question, for the refrigerator, is the raised platform really needed? And for the bomb shelter to be converted to a wardrobe, is there anything that should be done to prevent mold or bugs going into the clothes? Because it doesn't have the closed doors like a normal wardrobe.

Thank you!! And hope everyone is safe and healthy and vaccinated :)

delay means you got more time to research and more money for reno ;)

fridge - raised platform not necessary for me. If you are the type to use water to wash and scrub kitchen, then maybe good to have raised platform.

wardrobe in HH - I am not sure and will not do so. to reduce mold or moisture, you can use hippo / charcoal or put a dehumidifier.

Hello! @Starskies

For my case I have raised tiled platform for refrigerator and washing machine and kitchen base cabinets.

I felt it look neater and if you do mop your kitchen floor often, I guess a raised platform will be good.

If you are worried about bugs\insects, you may consider insect screens for your windows. I did that. But I must point out, very very tiny insects can still manage to enter through the gaps in the mesh. But larger ones will not make it through.

Especially at night, I had seen moth, beetle even bee and wasp on the exterior of the insect screen. These are blocked out but I still find tiny weeny insects in the flat.

Edited by Cranberries

On 11/17/2020 at 4:18 PM, zutto168 said:

Hi, anyone know where can I get people to help me do this shelving for my shoes?

IMG-20201112-WA0002.jpg

Since you are using ConceptDash's photo, why not get them to help you design and do up the DB box.. Btw, that's my DB box.. hahahahah..

On 7/4/2021 at 6:29 PM, Cranberries said:

Hello! @Starskies

For my case I have raised tiled platform for refrigerator and washing machine and kitchen base cabinets.

I felt it look neater and if you do mop your kitchen floor often, I guess a raised platform will be good.

If you are worried about bugs\insects, you may consider insect screens for your windows. I did that. But I must point out, very very tiny insects can still manage to enter through the gaps in the mesh. But larger ones will not make it through.

Especially at night, I had seen moth, beetle even bee and wasp on the exterior of the insect screen. These are blocked out but I still find tiny weeny insects in the flat.

Thank you again mmoh for your kind advice again and positive thinking! 👍 Also, really appreciated that you have started this thread, it's really been so helpful reading it 🙏😊

Thanks so much Cranberries for your kind advice too!! 🙏 Yes indeed I am a bit scared of big bugs and insects 😱, so appreciate the tip on the insect screen! I have never heard of it but will definitely look into having it, already a must-have item already 😅 

Happy second half of 2021, everyone! 

Hi!

How's everyone doing?

My BTO has been delayed from this Q4 to next year Q2. Hopefully it won't be delayed anymore.

Just want to check with all of you on the following:

1) Did anyone of you get a sofa and/or dining table for your living room? If yes, care to share the dimensions of your sofa? I can't make up my mind how big sofa and dining table I want and I am aware that I need to measure the actual place before I buy those stuffs. My cousin is currently doing his renovation. His area is in Canberra. He says that even the 80 cm long dining table can't fit at the bomb shelter wall there with the chairs pushed closely to the table. I was thinking of getting a longer table as my current computer desk at my parents' place is 80 cm and I find it small for a dining table. Attached is my floor plan. Most items at parents' place are bigger in size. Now I need to try get used to smaller sized items for my new house 😅

2) Did anyone of you install storage cabinets in the living room? I see some designs with storage cabinets in the living room. Not sure if that will make the whole living room look smaller? Otherwise, I may need to place all my stuffs in the bomb shelter. Hopefully the space is enough to accommodate all my barang barang 😆

Thank you and stay safe!

Floor Plan.jpg

Hi @Melody2205 !

Same layout like mine! :D

1) I do have a round dining table (85cm) and a 2 seater sofa (1.42m) in my living room. Not big on entertaining, so didn't get larger dining table or sofa. But in case you need a longer sofa, you can ask the contractor to extend the wall here, so it will lined nicely. Do note that, by doing that, it will eat into yr dining table space.

2) Didn't build much storage shelf as I do not want my place to be too cramp. So, other than the left corner tall bookcase and lower drawers, I still have some storage space to store my stuff inside the TV console drawers. The rest? I just dump inside my bomb shelter! LOL

Hope this helps.  :) 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, Melody2205 said:

Hi!

How's everyone doing?

My BTO has been delayed from this Q4 to next year Q2. Hopefully it won't be delayed anymore.

1) Did anyone of you get a sofa and/or dining table for your living room? If yes, care to share the dimensions of your sofa? I can't make up my mind how big sofa and dining table I want and I am aware that I need to measure the actual place before I buy those stuffs. My cousin is currently doing his renovation. His area is in Canberra. He says that even the 80 cm long dining table can't fit at the bomb shelter wall there with the chairs pushed closely to the table. I was thinking of getting a longer table as my current computer desk at my parents' place is 80 cm and I find it small for a dining table. Attached is my floor plan. Most items at parents' place are bigger in size. Now I need to try get used to smaller sized items for my new house 😅

2) Did anyone of you install storage cabinets in the living room? I see some designs with storage cabinets in the living room. Not sure if that will make the whole living room look smaller? Otherwise, I may need to place all my stuffs in the bomb shelter. Hopefully the space is enough to accommodate all my barang barang 😆

Thank you and stay safe!

Floor Plan.jpg

d1ba8569-f523-453d-a27a-43d922798c11.JPG

IMG_4101.jpg

Edited by JOYWALKER

13 hours ago, JOYWALKER said:

Hi @Melody2205 !

Same layout like mine! :D

1) I do have a round dining table (85cm) and a 2 seater sofa (1.42m) in my living room. Not big on entertaining, so didn't get larger dining table or sofa. But in case you need a longer sofa, you can ask the contractor to extend the wall here, so it will lined nicely. Do note that, by doing that, it will eat into yr dining table space.

2) Didn't build much storage shelf as I do not want my place to be too cramp. So, other than the left corner tall bookcase and lower drawers, I still have some storage space to store my stuff inside the TV console drawers. The rest? I just dump inside my bomb shelter! LOL

Hope this helps.  :) 

d1ba8569-f523-453d-a27a-43d922798c11.JPG

IMG_4101.jpg

Hi @JOYWALKER

Thanks for your reply!

Wow! I like your living room. It's bright and spacious. The penguin cushions are cute too!

Noted that I can request the contractor to extend the wall. Learn something new today 😄

From your photo, I think maybe I can get a 1.6 m sofa so that if my mom comes over for a weekend stay, I can sleep on the sofa which is long enough to accommodate my height. Lol! 

2 hours ago, Melody2205 said:

Hi @JOYWALKER

Thanks for your reply!

Wow! I like your living room. It's bright and spacious. The penguin cushions are cute too!

Noted that I can request the contractor to extend the wall. Learn something new today 😄

From your photo, I think maybe I can get a 1.6 m sofa so that if my mom comes over for a weekend stay, I can sleep on the sofa which is long enough to accommodate my height. Lol! 

Hi @Melody2205,

You have no plan to get a Queen size bed? It will fit into the space of your bedroom.  :)
My place looks spacious is probably due to me removing the wall between bedroom and my living room. 😬

On 9/17/2021 at 1:38 PM, JOYWALKER said:

Hi @Melody2205,

You have no plan to get a Queen size bed? It will fit into the space of your bedroom.  :)
My place looks spacious is probably due to me removing the wall between bedroom and my living room. 😬

I'm not sure to get a Queen size bed or not as I don't move much when sleeping and currently I'm just sleeping on a super single bed. Getting a Queen size bed may take up space and be underutilised as the other side of the bed will be left unoccupied. Lol! I'm thinking of doing a full height wardrobe and a small area for doing my work on laptop in the room. I have a lot of books (cos I do tutoring) and I do handicrafts work so I also need space for all these barangs. I'm just worried not enough storage space in the bomb shelter. 😅

19 hours ago, Melody2205 said:

I'm not sure to get a Queen size bed or not as I don't move much when sleeping and currently I'm just sleeping on a super single bed. Getting a Queen size bed may take up space and be underutilised as the other side of the bed will be left unoccupied. Lol! I'm thinking of doing a full height wardrobe and a small area for doing my work on laptop in the room. I have a lot of books (cos I do tutoring) and I do handicrafts work so I also need space for all these barangs. I'm just worried not enough storage space in the bomb shelter. 😅

Hello, @Melody2205,

I am into handicraft as well, and I have quite a pile of books too☺️!

What I chose to do is forgo a proper dining table for cabinets for my books and handicraft😅

I did built in cabinets along the livingroom wall opposite the bedroom door. But my built in cabinets did not reach ceiling, I was hoping without reaching the ceiling, the cabinets do not make my living room look smaller. But the disadvantage would be I have to clean the cabinet top every now and then😀

I don't think the built in cabinets made my living room uncomfortably smaller in size, but I do think it really depends on individual opinion. My cabinet has a cavity in the middle dividing it into wall cabinets and base cabinet (very much like kitchen cabinets).

I also installed pull-out top,which I can pull out to use as table, or push it in and hide with drawer front.

On 9/19/2021 at 11:00 AM, Melody2205 said:

Yes, that is true, about under utilizing but I was thinking, if I have close friends who stay late and wish to sleepover, at least I have a bed to offer!  :D ( at least one other person, the rest have to sleep on the floor! LOL)

I have my writing desk set in my living room (facing the windows) and that's why I have extra space in my bedroom for a Queen size bed. Guess it depends on how you would like to place your bed ,wardrobe and your desk then work from there on your storage shelvings. Do note carpentry works will put quite a hole in your pocket. 😅

On 9/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, Melody2205 said:

Hi!

How's everyone doing?

Thank you and stay safe!

Floor Plan.jpg

HH shelter = 1700

I think it is safe to assume 20cm on the bold HH shelter wall. so you left with about 1500. It should fit a 1400 length dining table.

You need to look at your own life style. Some think sofa important so forego dining table. While some think that dining table is important while sofa can be forego. And how frequent you host guests? So up to you to plan.

Oh ya, my dining table is 120 cm x 70 cm. I have storage cabinets in the living room but then my layout is different so cannot compare. Choose what you think is more important and forgo the not so important. Just like I dont have TV console as I dont watch TV.

Edited by mmoh