Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adidaem

A Bright & Airy Executive Maisonette

As for Toto, my IDs are going with us to buy... is that normal? Cos I'm going to tell them I want 25% discount like Kobelala bro and ask them to get the discount for us. :P Think my IDs are afraid we'll get the wrong design or another brand cos they are using actual Toto model dimensions for the CAD/designs they prepared. My IDs love Toto. Told us several times. But they are from Japan so I totally understand why they love Toto. ;)

And... I can do one better than go with u to the showroom. You can visit my place when it's ready lar. We are 95% confirmed to use Toto sinks and WC for all 3 toilets (since my IDs love Toto so much). So you can test the functionality and what not when you visit. :yamseng:

In my opinion, a good ID will accompany the client for most purchases. It was in my case. She would bring me to places to show different workmanship, quality of goods without the pressure to purchase. Haha, up to a point where I felt it was knowledge overdose. Her primary concern was, basically, to educate the client to be more informed.

About the 25% discount, it depends how is the working relationship between the ID and the clients. There are some IDs that will pass on the discount (which is the trade discount they receive from suppliers) back to the client.

Yup, Toto sanitary lines are pretty cool. Will you be installing the eco-washer too? Should you go to Toto, do get them to show you the different flushes too.

Edited by Reiki

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

In my opinion, a good ID will accompany the client for most purchases. It was in my case. She would bring me to places to show different workmanship, quality of goods without the pressure to purchase. Haha, up to a point where I felt it was knowledge overdose. Her primary concern was, basically, to educate the client to be more informed.

About the 25% discount, it depends how is the working relationship between the ID and the clients. There are some IDs that will pass on the discount (which is the trade discount they receive from suppliers) back to the client.

Yup, Toto sanitary lines are pretty cool. Will you be installing the eco-washer too? Should you go to Toto, do get them to show you the different flushes too.

Actually after shopping for lights with my IDs the 2nd time today, I must say I'm really impressed by their quality control... they rejected so many downlights cos of rims and some 'defects' that I wouldn't have known to look out for. Plus they have better sense of aesthetics I'm sure. :) Tho their primary concern was the aesthetics, but they were also mindful of our budget. :thumbs up:

As for the trade discount, they are not sure how much discount they can get, but they said will try for us. Fingers crossed! :)

Our budget is too low for the cyclonic or wall-hung ones, so we are just going for the basic entry level model... seems like the WC hole is too small in my place... it's only 6-8 inches (based on the contractor's estimates) so I can only select from 2 Toto models.

Today we rolled the pineapple and finally got the keys. Now I feel like a homeowner, yay! :sport-smiley-004:

Met up with our IDs, main contractor n aircon contractor today. Also met the contractor boss who also came down cos he said their office is just nearby.

Quite interesting to eavesdrop on their discussions about pipes and what not, but they seemed to be having very constructive discussions (got the impression that my IDs are very concerned about the pipings) so I left them alone. I just sat (on newspaper) and stoned while they were discussing and walking around. Just realised I forgot to ask where the aircon blowers will be changed to after all that discussion. Oops. :P Will check if SO heard anything.

Was sitting there and trying hard to visualise how things will look after the reno (e.g. like how it'll look after wall 1/2/3 is gone), and failed miserably. But everyone seems to assure me that it'll look nice post-reno (must be cos the current condition is so bad!). :P

One of the things that made me happy is that the contractor boss casually mentioned while looking around that once the walls go down, the whole place will be brighter - this is something that both SO n I really want.

Actually, it's only my 3rd visit to the apartment (since the 1st time that we viewed it and 2nd time when we signed the sales agreement there...) so I'm happy to see that:

- My toilet is bigger than I'd remembered it to be. My ID even teased my SO that it's too late for him to swop toilets. Hee... :D

- The study room is bigger than I remember too.

- And it's not that warm even tho we were there in the afternoon cos my unit is N-S facing. Quite windy and I think after the layout changes the circulation/airflow in the house will be even better.

But, the balcony is definitely smaller than I remember... luckily we bought smaller balcony furnitures eventually else surely regret by now. 8|

And reno starts next Fri! Yay!

how much are the Toto sinks?? oh yours only 6-8 inches? mine is 12 inches!!! have not searched for toilet bowls yet but would love to have Toto or Laufen!

Sinks range from 100++ to 300++ for the ones we eventually picked. We went for fairly basic models.

ID told us that those models with "J" behind their model name are MIJ? Didn't affect our decision but interesting to know.

I haven't seen Laufen, but compared to Bravat n Roca, I do think Toto sink quality looks better (e.g. the lines are more aligned/straight while others may be wavy/bumpier).

Did you go to the Econflo sale last weekend?

Sinks range from 100++ to 300++ for the ones we eventually picked. We went for fairly basic models.

ID told us that those models with "J" behind their model name are MIJ? Didn't affect our decision but interesting to know.

I haven't seen Laufen, but compared to Bravat n Roca, I do think Toto sink quality looks better (e.g. the lines are more aligned/straight while others may be wavy/bumpier).

Did you go to the Econflo sale last weekend?

oh ok..seems reasonable too! where did you get them??? i dun mind getting basic undermount Toto basins!! intending to do hotel styled toilet.

i din go Econflo wor!! how was it??

i just started to hack my tiles n toilets too!! pipes n more pipes! headache!

oh ok..seems reasonable too! where did you get them??? i dun mind getting basic undermount Toto basins!! intending to do hotel styled toilet.

i din go Econflo wor!! how was it??

i just started to hack my tiles n toilets too!! pipes n more pipes! headache!

Undermount isn't expensive. I noted the pics/prices for quite a few of them here:

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/yet-another-branded-item-toto-sinks/

Update: (Can est 20-25% discount off the prices I think)

Hansgrohe was on quite good discount - 30 or 35% I can't really rem. Plus some clearance display sets on good offers. Didn't pay attention to the sinks n WC so can't comment much. :P

Really ugly pipes huh? My IDs plan to conceal most of them that are in the bathrooms n kitchens, plus the rest of trunkings using the false ceiling.

oh ya forgot to congrats to you on getting the keys!!!

Thanks! I saw that ur reno has started too. Did I mention that I'm envious of ur recess/corner unit n marble flooring already? :P Congrats to u too! :)

Edited by adidaem

Congrats Adi!! :wub:

How's the ID/contractor selection coming along? Were you like me, feeling a little stupid when rolling in the pineapple? :lol: I didn't know what to do with it after, so I simply gave it to the workers for them to eat haha!

Now, Adi, is when your head (and wallet) starts hurting - muahaha! Keep us updated :) Looking forward to the gorgeous transformation of your home.

- Ely

Congrats Adi!! :wub:

How's the ID/contractor selection coming along? Were you like me, feeling a little stupid when rolling in the pineapple? :lol: I didn't know what to do with it after, so I simply gave it to the workers for them to eat haha!

Now, Adi, is when your head (and wallet) starts hurting - muahaha! Keep us updated :) Looking forward to the gorgeous transformation of your home.

- Ely

Thanks Ely, we got our IDs long ago lar. We are now the final stages of design finalisation before the reno starts. Wish I had some 3D pics to show but I guess I'll be like you, no pics till the final ones. Will prep up the 'before' pics tho.

As for the pineapple, also dunno what to do with it... think will throw them away since we don't cook? :P

Wallet hurting cos another payment stage coming that I can understand. Head hurting... hmm... why huh? Think my IDs head hurts more cos they have some design changes after the site visit with the 2 contractors and also handle our change requests. And we are more or less done with Phase 1 shopping.

Can't wait to move in. :sport-smiley-004:

cheers,

Adi

Btw for those still in the market for sanitary wares, Kohler n Johnson Suisse having sales. Advertised in the papers today.

Hey, I am wondering if I should write some notes to my new neighbours to let them know that my reno is starting soon, and to apologise for the inconvenience during this time. Is that a usual practice? Cos I think not so nice if they suddenly wake up to the sound of incessant drilling right?

What do you think? Notes for neighbours or not?

And then will also need to figure out how to translate to simple chinese in case they can't read english. Dunno why a simple thing like writing some notes become so complicated. :bangwall:

I think I'm over-analysing it, as usual. :rolleyes:

Hey, I am wondering if I should write some notes to my new neighbours to let them know that my reno is starting soon, and to apologise for the inconvenience during this time. Is that a usual practice? Cos I think not so nice if they suddenly wake up to the sound of incessant drilling right?

What do you think? Notes for neighbours or not?

And then will also need to figure out how to translate to simple chinese in case they can't read english. Dunno why a simple thing like writing some notes become so complicated. :bangwall:

I think I'm over-analysing it, as usual. :rolleyes:

I am not sure about normal Practise but I bought cakes for all my neighbors, upstairs and downstairs too, before I started my Reno. So no complains at all during Reno of leakages or noise. :)

I am not sure about normal Practise but I bought cakes for all my neighbors, upstairs and downstairs too, before I started my Reno. So no complains at all during Reno of leakages or noise. :)

may always has good advise on how to smooth relationships :good:

and thanks for advise/ notes adi :wub:

Oh... thanks for the advice! We have 9 neighbours tho! 4 on our 1st floor, 3 on the 2nd floor, plus 1 each directly above and below makes 9. Quite a daunting number plus you know I'm quite shy in person one right? Dunno what to say to them after pressing the doorbell. Arghh, stress! :unsure:

may always has good advise on how to smooth relationships :good:

and thanks for advise/ notes adi :wub:

No prob lar sis. Did you go shopping? I'll let you know if I come across anymore sales k? In the meantime think about whether you n hb prefer top-mount/under-mount sinks etc cos you need to know by the time you hit a good sales. Else very hard to buy the correct sink mixers in the excitement of looking at heavily discounted stuff. Learn from my mistake mah, we bought the Grohe stuff before knowing all these things. ;):P

wah I love your wordpress blog - very useful to all house owners! Can I link you up from mine?

Yes of course you can. Thanks for liking my blog hafiizh! Think you are the first to link my WP blog. Yay! :wub: