Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
HappyAng

Renovation Journey For Our Em @ B.batok

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My ID told me that the price will increase as they got difficulties to get good and skilful worker (especially tiler & carpenters) at a reasonable price. Even price goes up for demolition work! :jawdrop:

I believe the roof is 2.4m in height?

May I ask what type of tiles did you chose for your roof? And how much is the cost?

Thanks!

I believe the roof is 2.4m in height?

May I ask what type of tiles did you chose for your roof? And how much is the cost?

Thanks!

Roof was done by previous owner. We only use partition to over up the tiles. Think the roof is approx 3m from balcony. Hope it helps! :yamseng:

Wow I just heard the same words from my cousin "Ahouse should be a home ...".

I feel that a home should not be overly done up till it becomes a showroom... Maintenance will be hellish, let alone it already being a chore...

For me it's simple, practical and low maintenance...

Maybe a kosong house for me can liao... Can save money too on renovations...

I feel that a home should not be overly done up till it becomes a showroom... Maintenance will be hellish, let alone it already being a chore...

For me it's simple, practical and low maintenance...

Maybe a kosong house for me can liao... Can save money too on renovations...

Be prepared EM will take a long time to clean.. I dread thinking of that coz I vacuum and mop daily one

Be prepared EM will take a long time to clean.. I dread thinking of that coz I vacuum and mop daily one

More or less prepared liao... A bit worried as I was thinking how to clean the top corners at the stairwell? Pretty high and you'll need a really long ladder to reach it...

Anyway I was supposed to be staying in a 5A flat at Bedok Reservoir... It's those EM styled 5 room flat at Block 717... We were looking for a 4A flat in the east as we didn't want to be weekend parents anymore... Used to "deposit" our kids on Sundays at my in law's house for 4 years and we thought it's not good in the long run... While looking through the property listings 1 weekend and I asked the Mrs if we can afford an EM... Did our calculations and concluded that we could IF we can take a HDB loan... The previous ruling was that we can take another loan from HDB provided we are doing an upgrade... In this case we could as it would be from a 5 room to EM...

So we began hunting and saw a listing of an "EM" at Blk 717 Bedok Reservoir Road... We asked the agent if this is an EM and he replied yes... We then asked we can take a HDB loan right (5 room upgrading to EM)? The agent said yes... So off we went... We liked the layout as it was on a lift floor and it's a corner unit... The corridor was purchased and it's now part of the house... Total floor area is 148SQM... Mrs and I made plans on what to do and how much we could do for renovations... Price per valuation $425,000 and COV is $20,000... On the weekend that we were supposed to sign, another agent turned up and he said that he's the main agent and the agent we met was his part time partner... We went like "ok" and went ahead with the paperwork... He then mentioned that this flat is 15SQF shy of an EM but it didn't really set off any alarm bells until we paid the $5k deposit and got home...

I called the agent we have been seeing and asked him to confirm that this is indeed an EM... His answer was "Wait I check and call you back"... 10 minutes later he called and said he will confirm this with HDB in the morning... I nearly lost it and told him sternly that you confirm this and call me back by 9AM...

Mrs and I couldn't sleep that night...

The next morning I cannot wait and I called HDB myself... The worst case scenario came into play... That flat is a 5A and thus we cannot afford the bank loan for it... We would have to cough out an additional $400 per month on top of the monthly CPF contribution... Anyway the main agent called me instead of the part time one and told me that he will try to take the $5K back from the owner... 2 days the main agent called me and said that the owner refused to return the deposit and he will fork it out himself... The matter was settled and put to rest amicably...

Still feel very sore whenever I walk past that block... Mrs and I always wanted to stay in a 2 storey flat...

Sorry hor say my sad sad story...

Hi typhoonz, the moment you mentioned corner unit with recess but only 148sqm, I already suspect its 5A model maisonette. Most gen 1 EM original floor size are 148-150sqm. You can look at the valuation report to verify during viewing.

Anyway you are very lucky u got back the 5k deposit. The agent forked out himself??? Too good to be true.

Nevertheless, I hope you be able to find your ideal EM when time comes. I foresee govt coming up with more new measures which may be disadvantage to second timer and resale market.

Edited by spikedoll

Wow! $768K is a lot of money wor. But ur location is very convenient. Hmm.. If u & ur seller can achieve a six week completion, a two months renovation period should be quite sufficient. Will u be doing major renovation? To save time, it's good to get the permit paper standby, best if ur seller willing to sign indemnity form for ur renovation.

Hi HappyAng,

Yes yes... I hope can get 6-weeks completion, but cos I'm taking bank loan, I'm told to be prepared for 8-weeks. :bangwall: Yah... will be doing major reno. Have spoken to the seller and they are willing to help me sign the indemnity form first. So I can start immediately once 2nd appointment done. Yippee!!! :good:

More or less prepared liao... A bit worried as I was thinking how to clean the top corners at the stairwell? Pretty high and you'll need a really long ladder to reach it...

Anyway I was supposed to be staying in a 5A flat at Bedok Reservoir... It's those EM styled 5 room flat at Block 717... We were looking for a 4A flat in the east as we didn't want to be weekend parents anymore... Used to "deposit" our kids on Sundays at my in law's house for 4 years and we thought it's not good in the long run... While looking through the property listings 1 weekend and I asked the Mrs if we can afford an EM... Did our calculations and concluded that we could IF we can take a HDB loan... The previous ruling was that we can take another loan from HDB provided we are doing an upgrade... In this case we could as it would be from a 5 room to EM...

So we began hunting and saw a listing of an "EM" at Blk 717 Bedok Reservoir Road... We asked the agent if this is an EM and he replied yes... We then asked we can take a HDB loan right (5 room upgrading to EM)? The agent said yes... So off we went... We liked the layout as it was on a lift floor and it's a corner unit... The corridor was purchased and it's now part of the house... Total floor area is 148SQM... Mrs and I made plans on what to do and how much we could do for renovations... Price per valuation $425,000 and COV is $20,000... On the weekend that we were supposed to sign, another agent turned up and he said that he's the main agent and the agent we met was his part time partner... We went like "ok" and went ahead with the paperwork... He then mentioned that this flat is 15SQF shy of an EM but it didn't really set off any alarm bells until we paid the $5k deposit and got home...

I called the agent we have been seeing and asked him to confirm that this is indeed an EM... His answer was "Wait I check and call you back"... 10 minutes later he called and said he will confirm this with HDB in the morning... I nearly lost it and told him sternly that you confirm this and call me back by 9AM...

Mrs and I couldn't sleep that night...

The next morning I cannot wait and I called HDB myself... The worst case scenario came into play... That flat is a 5A and thus we cannot afford the bank loan for it... We would have to cough out an additional $400 per month on top of the monthly CPF contribution... Anyway the main agent called me instead of the part time one and told me that he will try to take the $5K back from the owner... 2 days the main agent called me and said that the owner refused to return the deposit and he will fork it out himself... The matter was settled and put to rest amicably...

Still feel very sore whenever I walk past that block... Mrs and I always wanted to stay in a 2 storey flat...

Sorry hor say my sad sad story...

Lucky that u can get back ur deposit. Remember to take a look at the valuation report for information (tenure, size, type) of the flat. Wish u good luck in searching for ur EM. :yamseng:

Hi HappyAng,

Yes yes... I hope can get 6-weeks completion, but cos I'm taking bank loan, I'm told to be prepared for 8-weeks. :bangwall: Yah... will be doing major reno. Have spoken to the seller and they are willing to help me sign the indemnity form first. So I can start immediately once 2nd appointment done. Yippee!!! :good:

Hi 3Dyms, bank loan possible to do it within 6 weeks completion. U can try to request during ur 1st appt. Good luck!

Great! Saw that u start ur T-blog too. :sport-smiley-004:

When u start ur renovation work? Looking forwards to more photos in ur T-blog. :yamseng:

Edited by HappyAng

Hi 3Dyms, bank loan possible to do it within 6 weeks completion. U can try to request during ur 1st appt. Good luck!

When u start ur renovation work? Looking forwards to more photos in ur T-blog. :yamseng:

Oh... Thanks for the tip. I will try to make a request to complete in 6-weeks. At the moment, I have informed my contractor to stand-by to start Reno on 1st June. Will post more pics once Reno starts. For now, just posting things that I'm buying or inspirational ideas. Heheh. :sport-smiley-018:

Hi typhoonz, the moment you mentioned corner unit with recess but only 148sqm, I already suspect its 5A model maisonette. Most gen 1 EM original floor size are 148-150sqm. You can look at the valuation report to verify during viewing.

Anyway you are very lucky u got back the 5k deposit. The agent forked out himself??? Too good to be true.

Nevertheless, I hope you be able to find your ideal EM when time comes. I foresee govt coming up with more new measures which may be disadvantage to second timer and resale market.

My Mrs and I are new to EMs as it wasn't in our consideration when we planned to move to the east... 2 greenhorns and got bluffed big time... The main agent forked it out himself (that's what he said)... Anyway the house was sold 2 weeks after this debacle...

Yes I too hope that we can find an ideal EM as its our desire to stay in one... The kids are growing up and need their own space...

Hope those overpaid ministars don't mess with the ruling till I buy my house...

Lucky that u can get back ur deposit. Remember to take a look at the valuation report for information (tenure, size, type) of the flat. Wish u good luck in searching for ur EM. :yamseng:

This time round smarter liao... Shame on me if I still got fooled the 2nd time...

Hi, any bro or sis have contacts for door supplier who is able to change the door knob to lever type?

I wanted to change my old door knob to handle type and have purchase the lever type.

But my contractor says that his door supplier may not have the capability to replace the lever because need to open the slot in the door (for the mechanism - in blue colour) and door frame. :bangwall:

Wondering is it so difficult to replace for door supplier?

Thanx in advance. :yamseng:

photo10_zps99614592.jpg