Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MHB

The Great Migration

Hi, for checking of tiles, I looked out for these things:

- whether there are hollow tiles ( even for newly laid tiles, there can be one or more tiles that are hollow. you have to go round knocking the tiles to see if there is a hollow sound. Get your tiler to relay the hollow tiles, if any)

- whether there is discolouration on the tiles. For plain colored tiles, this will be more easily seen. Mine are wood tiles with grains and it was difficult for tilers to check for discoloration when they were laying the tiles. One day when i was sitting on the floor and looking at my tiles at close range, i noticed there were two tiles with discolouration. though it's not a big problem, I still requested for tiler to change the tile or else I will always know there is imperfection at that particular spot.

hope this is useful! :)

Hi June,

Wow... Noted... I will go around and knock on the tiles... As for the tiles discolouration, you check after acid wash right??? Now, there are footprint all over and can't really differentiate the color...

Thanks for the advice...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

wow, these tiles look very nice, wat kinda tiles are they?

Hi edd,

These are ceramic tiles from Hafary... Just realize I tagged the wrong message... Sorry...

For that Kraus tap, do you need NPT to BSPT adapter for use in Singapore?

Hi Miracle,

Need your enlightenment on this... TIA...

After a few rounds of discussion with my wifey... We have decided to have a cement concrete top for the kitchen... My wifey is afraid of water seeping into the cabinet and caused the wood to rot over time... Anyway, we are going for cement screed wall, so the kitchen top should match...

So, went to Soon Bee Huat to choose the homogenous tiles for the top and side of the concrete block...

First time being to soon new huat and was immediately overwhelmed by the huge selection of tiles in that place...

After more than 1 hour of grueling experience (for me, see the tiles until my vision becomes blur) because I am just accompany her as the kitchen top is her territory and it is just for a small area... Finally, we or rather she has decided on a 60x60 grey colored homo tiles (suggestion from Jiawei) and hopefully, 1 piece is enough to cover the side and 2-3 pieces for the top so that there will be lesser grout lines to take care of in the future...

(Initially I wanted to tile the concrete block with red tiles but was rejected outright.... Should be quite nice what!!! Grey with red)

With the tiles for the concrete block being finalize, the concrete block will be constructed before the laying of the peranankan tiles so as to protect these delicate tiles from damaged or being stained during the Reno process... So the place will become out of bound until end of Reno... Hehe...

Hi June,

Wow... Noted... I will go around and knock on the tiles... As for the tiles discolouration, you check after acid wash right??? Now, there are footprint all over and can't really differentiate the color...

Thanks for the advice...

Yup, after acid wash..:)

After a few rounds of discussion with my wifey... We have decided to have a cement concrete top for the kitchen... My wifey is afraid of water seeping into the cabinet and caused the wood to rot over time... Anyway, we are going for cement screed wall, so the kitchen top should match...

another t-blog i'm reading now, the person created a concrete area for their sink. then overlayed it with the same solid surface panel as their cabinet side. Looks seamless to me. Can consider?

Cement tiles r really made of cement? I thought itwould be like the wood like tiles - looks like wood but its actually tiles n also feel like tiles.

another t-blog i'm reading now, the person created a concrete area for their sink. then overlayed it with the same solid surface panel as their cabinet side. Looks seamless to me. Can consider?

Yeah... Thought of using solid surface top too but it will add up the cost... So choose tiles instead...

ya cement is porous. that's why there are so many stains on my cement tiles now :(

The tiles will get stain even after applying sealant??? Initially, I am afraid of stain issue too but since I cook not so often, should be okay...

Cement tiles r really made of cement? I thought itwould be like the wood like tiles - looks like wood but its actually tiles n also feel like tiles.

It looks like this. Below the picture is compressed cement...

KitchenTiles.jpg

Hi MHB, if you are using the painted cement tiles, yes I agree with retchlow. They stain easily. We brought some extra pieces to be displayed for our ROM buffet presentation and someone put the gravy pot lid on it. After the event, the gravy went into the tile permanently!

It looks like this. Below the picture is compressed cement...

KitchenTiles.jpg

We have the same tile! But we only have 1 such tile in the house, haha :D

Hi MHB, if you are using the painted cement tiles, yes I agree with retchlow. They stain easily. We brought some extra pieces to be displayed for our ROM buffet presentation and someone put the gravy pot lid on it. After the event, the gravy went into the tile permanently!

I second what Makanology says! We bought some pieces for display around the house, and the one that we're using in the kitchen has soaked up the moisture around it and dulled in color. We bought another 6 pieces to place on our balcony and display our mini greenhouse on, and because we were going to put it outdoors, the tile shop advised us to apply a coat of sealant. Having seen how they apply sealant (they really just take a can of sealant and brush a layer on), I highly doubt it'll last long. I think the tiles on our balcony (sealant applied) have dulled slightly already.

The tiles will get stain even after applying sealant??? Initially, I am afraid of stain issue too but since I cook not so often, should be okay...

yes, even after applying sealant. my flooring has a good amount of stains already :bleah: