Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hello to all! 

I'll like to ask about SP utilities. 

I read that nowadays new bto has their utilities pre-turned on so turn-on appointment with SP technician not needed. 

But also read from another article that even though new bto has utilities pre-turned on, you still need an appointment with SP technician to check something else. 

A bit blur here, so need appointment with SP technician or no need at all 

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 12/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, Cranberries said:

Hello to all! 

I'll like to ask about SP utilities. 

I read that nowadays new bto has their utilities pre-turned on so turn-on appointment with SP technician not needed. 

But also read from another article that even though new bto has utilities pre-turned on, you still need an appointment with SP technician to check something else. 

A bit blur here, so need appointment with SP technician or no need at all 

for electricity & water, just need to register online at SP website

for water, there will be a [not sure what is the exact term] tap "handle" inside your mailbox. that can be used to turn on your water supply in the riser

for gas, register online [my ID did it on my behalf], then owner has to be present for meter installation and connection from gas supply to hob.

5 hours ago, evozero said:

for gas, register online [my ID did it on my behalf], then owner has to be present for meter installation and connection from gas supply to hob.

I'm thinking to get induction cooktop instead of gas hob, so no need to register for gas.  But not sure if it's good idea since I've never used induction before.  But the hob looks sleek and nice!   So hard to decide!

Thank you @evozero!

I tried applying online but there was some error, can't get it done online. 

just wondering what documents do you need besides IC when register SP account via online.

Can't register online then I just have to queue at SP counter on day of key collection ☺️Cross my fingers Q won't be too long. 

6 hours ago, mytinybto said:

I'm thinking to get induction cooktop instead of gas hob, so no need to register for gas.  But not sure if it's good idea since I've never used induction before.  But the hob looks sleek and nice!   So hard to decide!

Hello! 

I was deciding between induction and traditional stove as well but decided on old school stove. 

I was thinking of trying out 1 or 2 of my mum's recipes for kueh kueh (if I ever really try making?) I was afraid induction cannot do steaming for long hours.... Also never used induction cooker no idea how it's like so I stick to old type. 

I guess depend on what and how often you cook? 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 6:10 AM, mytinybto said:

Hi, i've been using induction cooktop for cooking for close to 2 years now, and I can vouch for it being very nice for cooking.

Its safe (no open flame), and super easy to clean (just need to wipe it clean with a cloth)
Whichever induction cooktop you decide to buy, do ensure that it's made of something called "Schott Glass"

The downsides of induction cooking are:
- You need to of course buy pots and pans that are induction-capable
- You are unable to cook dishes that need open flame (eg: claypot dishes, chinese-styled wok cooking) You can still do frying tho, i've made Char Kway Teow before lol.
- Your electricity bill will be higher
- Because an induction cooktop is made of glass, do be careful when handling your pots/pans so you don't scratch the glass.

As for steaming of dishes, there are electrical standalone steamers available on the market.
Some rice cookers have steaming functions too.
Or you can use DIY method, get a deep enough induction capable wok, fill it partway with water, put a metal wire tray on top and than your dish on top of that. (Same like old school water steaming using chinese wok + water) of course you will need to top up water as it boils down.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SuperZ said:

@ryanyth, thanks for your opinions for induction cooker. I am leaning towards induction cooker too as I am not into stir frying.

Oh you can still stir fry if you get a induction capable wok, although it will be like a light stir-fry, not vigorous stir-fry like using traditional chinese style wok.

Hello to all! 

I had collected my keys few days back and I went to open the door yesterday. 

On the whole I am happy with my new home but was disappointed at the measurements of the the rooms. 

I know the measurements on the floor plan cannot be taken as it is because we need to take into account the thickness of the walls, but I have underestimated the wall thickness. 

For example a wall in my living room shows 4750mm on the floor plan, I guessed the wall would be around 4500mm but it turn out to be about 4000mm.

I just used my feet to measure, so it was an approximate measurement but it was obvious it is definitely no where near 4500 and definitely not 4750 as in the floor plan. 

EDIT(Mar 2020) : Finally took measurements with proper measuring tape, turns out to be satisfactory because physical measurement is near 4600mm (on floor plan it is 4750mm). 

Edited by Cranberries

Hi all, I also collected key this week. Open door yesterday. Really stumped by my kitchen bcos the washing machine tap sink, kitchen tap r on the same side of the wall. Now getting kan cheong cos I got no ID, my kitchen layout plan is gone case. 

On 12/21/2019 at 2:43 PM, Cranberries said:

For example a wall in my living room shows 4750mm on the floor plan, I guessed the wall would be around 4500mm but it turn out to be about 4000mm.

Congrats on your key collection!! :D
Yes discrepancies between floor plan and actual unit can occur, but 500mm difference is quite significant.
I would recommend get an actual measuring tape to measure out. Don't worry, last minute changes and
amendments is very common in renovation, and its still fine since you haven't started renovation yet.
Take the time and savour your door opening moment! :)

22 hours ago, Xiaoyang said:

Hi all, I also collected key this week. Open door yesterday. Really stumped by my kitchen bcos the washing machine tap sink, kitchen tap r on the same side of the wall. Now getting kan cheong cos I got no ID, my kitchen layout plan is gone case. 

Gratz to your door opening too! Don't worry, don't kan cheong. :)
As I replied to Cranberries earlier, last minute changes are very common in renovation,
pre-reno, during-reno, and even post-reno. You have not got an ID so you don't have to worry.
ID is supposed to sort these measurements for you if you are unsure what to do.
Best of luck! :)

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:43 PM, Cranberries said:

do note that your floor plan is showing dimensions based on outside of the unit and include the wall thickness as well. you will lose about 150 to 200mm for the external wall thickness so interior should be about 4550 to 4600mm. as ryanyth mentioned, get an actual measuring tape to do the measurement

16 hours ago, snoozee said:

do note that your floor plan is showing dimensions based on outside of the unit and include the wall thickness as well. you will lose about 150 to 200mm for the external wall thickness so interior should be about 4550 to 4600mm. as ryanyth mentioned, get an actual measuring tape to do the measurement

Hello @snoozee!

Indeed I was initially expecting to lose about 15 to 25cm, even went up to 30cm. Nevertheless, I will definitely measure with proper measuring tape. 

1 hour ago, Cranberries said:

Hello @snoozee!

Indeed I was initially expecting to lose about 15 to 25cm, even went up to 30cm. Nevertheless, I will definitely measure with proper measuring tape. 

Hi @Cranberries,

Thank you for bringing up this issue of inaccurate measurement. It is distressing to learn that the variation can be so large from 4.75 m to 4.0 m. That's almost 1.0 m difference. From my research, the structural wall is about 0.25 m. Now it makes me wonder about my upcoming BTO whether my unit would be having the same situation. FYI, the living room in my unit is exactly same length as yours (4.75 m). I would definitely bring attention to HDB.

1 hour ago, SuperZ said:

Hi @Cranberries,

Thank you for bringing up this issue of inaccurate measurement. It is distressing to learn that the variation can be so large from 4.75 m to 4.0 m. That's almost 1.0 m difference. From my research, the structural wall is about 0.25 m. Now it makes me wonder about my upcoming BTO whether my unit would be having the same situation. FYI, the living room in my unit is exactly same length as yours (4.75 m). I would definitely bring attention to HDB.

Hello @SuperZ!

I hope I am not raising false alarm here??

I was initially rather upset at the measurements but after a few days of "calming" down I felt I might have been too uptight over the matter, afterall  I did not use a proper measuring tape!! ??

I will take measurements properly with correct tools and post my results here. But it will be some weeks later till I pop over to my new home. Happy Holidays to all! ??