Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OnePostWonder

Newbies @ Jalan Membina

the base is to raise up to a certain level (correct me if wrong) so that when u wash your kitchen area, your fridge & washing machine will not get wet. In short, is to protect your machine from getting wet if washing your kitchen area.

another purpose is that a raised base will be less dusty cos dirt/dust on the floor will not be blown easily onto the raised base...

the cost of constructing a cement base w tiles is about $80-100 for w/m and the same for fridge... typically the base is 80 x 80cm... for w/m, this is sufficient cos w/m size is usually abt 60 x 60cm... for fridge, u may request for a bigger base say 100 x 100cm w/o additional charge... depends on ur contractor/ID though...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Talking about bases...only wm n fridge got tiles surface except cabinet base.

I have talked to id requesting to put tiles surfaces on it and they said waste money and cabinet lay on it, cannot see the tiles and it will be uneven for the cabinet.

My wife told me in future if the cabinet spoilt and wanted to buy cabinet from funiture shop (comes with 4 legs), at least the surface is not cement.

im preparing to source for few contractors this week..

can you quide me along? show them our floorplan & telling them what's our requirements will do?

Hi NEM

Initially when I hunt for contractors, I dont have anything in mind.

Blur blur like sotong, BUT REMEMBER DONT SIGN ANYTHING!:sport-smiley-004:!:jawdrop:!:yamseng:!!

So, when talk to id/contractors they usually give you this and that.

Wow see the cost, heart jump very fast!

Gradually, I find out that certain things I dont need at all.

So, I decided to draft out what I really want for my house.

And then sit down and carefully think over is that what I really want (with you darling lah).

Then write out the final item lists, together with photostated floor plan, start calling and e-mail/fax your floorplan and the items you want and ask for their quotation.

Remember always stick to your final item list (so that it will be easy to compare the price range).

After each discussing, ask them how they do, this n that lah etc....

Also, maybe ask some features design and ask them to quote again. (this way, the id will have to take another 1 to 2 weeks to quote n you will have time to sit and read their quotation, heehehe)

I also find out that packages is a bit dangerous as there are many hidden cost.

So, better ask for item list price.

Once feel comfortable with the them, ask them to bring you to showflat. No showflat, can kiss good bye!

Then another day (or weeks) ask them to bring you to see tiles! Take your time to choose, record the tiles number. (why? so that can ask another id that you want this tiles!)

I dont know whether they will bring you to see tiles (as it means you are confirm!:()

if your kitchen bottom cabinet is made of wood or materials that absorbs liquid easily, it's better to have a base... it doesn't have to be tiles, u can just lay cement

Hi,

What is the different between using cement and tiles for kitchen cabinet? Why is cement better?

Hi H4happy,

Wow. I think having a wm and refrigerator bases is necessary for your lifestyle.

For me, I always use a mop to clean the kitchen floor and only splash water to clean the floor once in a blue moon.

Hi Neighbours,

Mind to share with me if you have any quotation for the 7ft warddrobe in your MBR?

Cheers,

Cindy

Hi,

What is the different between using cement and tiles for kitchen cabinet? Why is cement better?

Cheers,

Cindy

h4happy had a conversation with an ID and he was told that it is a waste to have tiles, so I suggested cement... ID went on to comment that it will be uneven for the cabinet... a case of lousy workmanship? :jawdrop:

Thanks for the reply on the payment terms..

I think i will be doing the base for both the refridgerator and washing machine as well, cos i am so clumsy, always spill things at my current place, dun think i will be able to avoid washing the floor in the kitchen..

By the way, found this website while going through the forum thread, http://www.floorplanner.com/ can use to plan the basic layout of our house, just load your floor plan to the website and you can start.. Quite fun and easy to use, they come with the dimensions also, but i am still figuring how to use the dimension thing, cos it seems different from our layout.. But best of all, its free.. Try it..

h4happy had a conversation with an ID and he was told that it is a waste to have tiles, so I suggested cement... ID went on to comment that it will be uneven for the cabinet... a case of lousy workmanship? :good:

Hi Yang Guo,

Mind to take a picture of the corner that I was talking about? the protruding corner at the end of the living room? Thanks a million...

This evening around 730pm, I went up to 24th floor (happen to see the lights still on).

It was near 95% complete.

1) Flooring (Living & Dining) - granite: worksmanship = ok not bad, but certain tiles is very dark in colour. Means can see patches. The tilers should actually discard the tiles away as it is very dark. Line is smooth but of course certain area not even lah. Also feel like the granite gana soak in water..maybe they still have not wash (chemical)....

2) MBR - laminate flooring: worksmanship = Feel as if it is I was walking in the air, nice colour, very warm feeling. Very smooth! Good worksmanship.

3) Kitchen - Cabinet is nicely up, the whole area looks very big indeed. Can even put a small table (buy those small table that is solid adn heavy) beside the window, next to the toilet.

4) Features wall - Very nice design. Simple and elegant!

5) Lights - Nice shape. Except the dining area, the lights a bit low.

****Yes I see the beam on the wall facing the living room window.

Lastly, no wind lay!:yamseng:!!! Go take a look in the evening......

Had been to IMM again....

IT's our frequent hangout place recently..

Went back to U-home again after thinking that we SHOULD give them a chance.

This time another person serve us, Raymond.

At first we are skeptical on his service as we prefer the previous guy (Ben - younger and better looking lah..)

After talking to him about our additional requirements, it's around 23k..which is still within our budget.

The suggestions he gave us are practical and knowing our budget, he try to provide us with other options as well.. However, he's the sales and he will work with the designers, thus maybe that's y his suggestions are more to practical and listens to our needs + ideas when he proposes..

So after thinking, there are pros and cons between design and practical...today Raymond called my FH to invite him to other office which had more samples for us to see.

After looking at:-

Arts & Thots

Unique Designs

Ixage Crxxtive

Rest & Relax

-

Frontier (will get back to us at least 3 weeks time, so will have to wait for a while)

U-home

After waiting for a month for IDs to call us.

Raymond is the ONE AND ONLY who follow up with invitations ....AND THIS IS DEFINITELY A PLUS POINT!:yamseng:

We are still deciding and looking around for more options....but he's the first choice !!

However, giving the others a benefit of doubts, maybe they are very busy at the moment...

At first we are skeptical on his service as we prefer the previous guy (Ben - younger and better looking lah..)

After talking to him about our additional requirements, it's around 23k..which is still within our budget.

The suggestions he gave us are practical and knowing our budget, he try to provide us with other options as well.. However, he's the sales and he will work with the designers, thus maybe that's y his suggestions are more to practical and listens to our needs + ideas when he proposes..

So after thinking, there are pros and cons between design and practical...today Raymond called my FH to invite him to other office which had more samples for us to see.

Arts & Thots

Unique Designs

Ixage Crxxtive

Rest & Relax

-

Frontier (will get back to us at least 3 weeks time, so will have to wait for a while)

U-home

Raymond is the ONE AND ONLY who follow up with invitations ....AND THIS IS DEFINITELY A PLUS POINT!:yamseng:

We are still deciding and looking around for more options....but he's the first choice !!

However, giving the others a benefit of doubts, maybe they are very busy at the moment...

Maybe you should also try to hunt a few more.....

Mine is Uhome (Dianel), nice guy, very patients, distrub him a bit, ask impossible questions, and he still keeps his cool. A bit pricy....

Arts & Thots

Unique Designs

Ixage Crxxtive

Rest & Relax

-

U-home

Raymond is the ONE AND ONLY who follow up with invitations ....AND THIS IS DEFINITELY A PLUS POINT!:bangwall:

We engage UHome, Ben is the person who serve us..provide him our floor plan 1mth+ ago, he didnt get back to us. Total i have engaged 7 renovation companies, all get back to us within 2 weeks.

Think Ben has a poor service right?

Ben promise get back to us in 2weeks. When we called him, he totally forgotten abt us, and said will get back to us, but still no news yet :bangwall: