Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
XTR

S&s Self-Designed Home In The East

below is our shoe cabinet. wanted to do a crate design initially but frigginfushcia designed a better idea of adding in mirrors. so the credit is hers.

our contractor charged us by per feet so make sure u get your money's worth by making the cabinets more difficult to make.

IMG_1727.jpg

Oh, i love this...... Will copy n paste the mirror style on my shoe cabinet!!!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

DIY remote controlled roller blinds

One of the most difficult projects done for the home. This can also be used for those home projection screens.

because our home windows were air-con unfriendly, we needed to something to help cover up the spaces in which the cold air can seep out. we decided to have roller blinds because it can not only keep out sunlight but also keep the rooms cool. we went to Ikea and the roller blinds were not what we wanted because it couldnt cover the whole length of the living room windows. we had to buy 2-3 of it and even then, there will be spaces in between each roller blinds.

so we decided to customize the roller blinds and also wanted it to be remote controlled because we didnt want to walk to the window just to pull up/down the blinds. we searched for automated roller blinds and for 12 feet length, it was $2800. wtfish man. still got study room which needed 8 feet of blinds. buying from them is too expensive and not worth paying so much.

nvm. shall just diy it.

i went online and purchase a remote control kit with motor. the next thing is getting the steel tube. it was really hard to find anyone willing to sell just one tube. i walked to amk, eunos, bedok, kallang industrial areas but it was fruitless. it was until a kind boss told me where to find it. was really happy to find the size that i wanted and then bought 1 steel tube of 20 feet. i asked them to help me cut and then hired a lorry just to carry these 2 tubes. lol. and guess what? cant fit into the lift! had to call my wife to help me carry the tubes up to the 9th storey. below is a pic of me checking the internal diameter of the tube fits the diameter of my motor.

IMG_0652.jpg

the next thing that i needed was the canvas. i went to expo to find quotations for the customized 12 feet and 8 feet canvases. there was some curtain makers and they quoted me $380 for the 12 feet canvas? at that moment, would u think its cheap enough?

i just felt that its still too ex for just plastic. so i googled 20 curtain makers and called each one up. none of them were cheap until i found a seller from a hdb shop. he quoted me $120 for the 12 feet canvas. AH, this is then considered reasonable! :good: :good:

when the canvas came, it took quite a while to put together the canvas, tube and motor. it was a relief that all the measurements were correct. alan's carpenter then helped me put up because it required the coordination of 2 ppl.

below is a picture of the 8 feet study room roller blinds.

IMG_1745.jpg

but not all is rosy. there was a BIG BIG problem. when i tried to remote control the canvas to be pulled up, there wasnt enough friction between the motor and the internal diameter of the steel tube thus the canvas cant move up :curse: :curse:

buang la!

do so much and still fail... cui!

i had to think of other ways but it failed. finally i decided to drill and screw the canvas to the steel tube and to the motor inside. after everything, here is a video of our remote controlled 12 feet roller blinds in the living room. total costs is $740 for both automated blinds.

shiok can?! success!

in the video, the blinds have been programmed to stop at a certain height.

Edited by XTR

• Like 1

but not all is rosy. there was a BIG BIG problem. when i tried to remote control the canvas to be pulled up, there wasnt enough friction between the motor and the internal diameter of the steel tube thus the canvas cant move up :curse: :curse:

buang la!

i had to think of other ways but it failed. finally i decided to drill and screw the canvas to the steel tube and to the motor inside. after everything, here is a video of our remote controlled 12 feet roller blinds in the living room. total costs is $740 for both automated blinds.

shiok can?! success!

:bow: respect :bow:

Oh, i love this...... Will copy n paste the mirror style on my shoe cabinet!!!

its thanks to frigginfushcia who shared such a good design.

Wow did you actualli factored in the power of the motor to roll up the blinds? Or it is quite standard one?

ya. Must ask the motor manufacturer how much weight it can take. I didnt ask for the power rating. Was only interested in the their weightage specs.

really not easy to just buy it from them when i didnt know the actual weight of the canvas blinds.

:bow: respect :bow:

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.... too bad i wont use it for projection screen.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I also want to do this for my new place!!!! Most of my rooms/living/kitchen windows are facing west sun. Today went over (for handover) and it is HOT. :bangwall: :bangwall:

Can share all the necessary materials, shops that you used/visit for this project? Definitely would like to try. :)

Thanks.

buang la!

shiok can?! success!

I can't believe you DIY automated roller blind. That saves you a lot of money than to engage outside people to do automated blinds for you. Impressive! Does your profession involve a lot of hands-on work?

ya! no one who visited my home knew it was from ikea. kakakakaka. u bought 1? 2? using as dining lights too?

AH! i found my receipt. the spotlight + the 25W energy saving = $42 :sport-smiley-004:

saw an old quotation from balestier. the same combi but only 19W and it costs $55.

money suc-kers.

I bought 1 for my foyer. Haha no intention to hang any pendant light for the dining table. Cos i tend to move furniture around. Don't want to restrict that area to be a dining area forever.

Then for sure that shop that you bought is the cheapest already. Alright, i shall visit it one day. Hopefully they are still selling at the same price.

Ahh.. now i understand why you must present your roller blind to whoever visits your house hhehehe. Really salute you for all the amazing work you have done!

:bow::bow:

Edited by ValerieLow

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I also want to do this for my new place!!!! Most of my rooms/living/kitchen windows are facing west sun. Today went over (for handover) and it is HOT. :bangwall: :bangwall:

Can share all the necessary materials, shops that you used/visit for this project? Definitely would like to try. :)

Thanks.

haha thanks....

sounds like its an issue u must settle during reno or really going to be hot all the time. k will pm u the things needed in a while. :sport-smiley-018: