Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
applefreak

Kitty's Cattery

Hi, applefreak.

Was looking at your kitchen design...just some thoughts to share, imho:

dunno whether you might prefer to shift the fridge with the tall cabinet so that the work triangle (fridge, sink, hob) is smaller. did you intend to install an oven in the tall cabinet?

you might want to consider installing an induction hob (safer 'cos only stainless steel pots will get hot, but it consumes higher electricity) as your hob appear to exposed on three sides (or are you building some kind of wall around the hob?). if you put the hob this way, do you have to install an island hood? 'cos I think most hoods need to be installed against the wall.

Other thoughts for your elderly parents:

dunno whether you can/ want to make provisons for wheelchair e.g. ramp instead of kerb, wider toilet entrance, space below the sink so that the wheel chair fits under

space for stool/seat in the shower

nightlights?

antislip mats for bathrooms

Here's a website that may be helpful:

www.kitchens.com

:)

Edited by Homeowner

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

thanks so much for the ideas. must put them on my to-do list

any idea where i can find practical night lights? those i manage to find is either not environmentally friendly i.e. the bulb cannot be changed, if spoilt must throw the whole thing away or the bulb is not easy to find kind. remember philips used to have it, but dun know where got sell

small reason why we are moving coz current home MBR got no toilet so at night they go toilet got to navigate through the kitchen...

as for the tall cabinet, it's solely for the purpose of storage coz no top cabinet or storage under the sink/hob. no oven for me coz doing mostly asian cooking...

will be building concrete support for the sink and stove so no doors for me, part of the reason why the kitchen is positioned in such an odd way (so that pple coming through the front door won't see the clutter) :thumbs up:

those black thick lines on the walls are actually power sockets

dun want to shift them so will just arrange in such a way that the fridge is near one

the black lines around the stove will be tempered glass, acting like a backsplash...

was toying with the idea of constructing a concrete stool at the shower area but my mum say she will sit on the WC to shower coz scared the stool will move then she fall down. saw a wall-mounted S/S foldable stool for bathroom but can't seem to find it around jln besar. anyone saw it anywhere?

I know kiddy palace sells the LED type...but dunno whether these are too small for your use.

Was wondering if the heat from the stove may shatter the glass, esp. since you are doing mainly asian cooking which requires high heat? :) IMHO, think its' safer to put the stove against the wall :D. How about moving the stove to the wall and doing a bar counter/ table at the end. L shape instead of a T. Am thinking that an island hood is quite ex. compared to a normal one.

not getting a hood coz heard from friends who has it that it's not of much use for asian cooking anyway...

didn't want the stove to be in the same line that's why doing an L-shaped concrete support. not changing the kitchen flooring so the sink will have to be around the same area. but the space under the window too small for the sink :D

depending on what the contractors advice bah, if the concept is a no go then will think of something else. actually thinking of the cut-out from the granite top to become the back splash but see how first loh. tempered glass not supposed to shatter right?

kiddy palace is where ah? will go check the place out.

Mymelody bought the same clock for our future study room too... :yamseng:

Dunno why you gals like this so much ! haha... :help:

Hey..i saw this clock in Japan..exactly the same..selling abt SGD$14 or 15 like tat..how much u bought it at Amara??

hi, paid $15.90 for the clock

guess it's considered cheap coz of the shipping and handling :P

bought another two items today

one's a cup with cover that is shaped exactly like the head, and the other is a door sign with interchangeable signs.

will upload the photos tonight when i get home

some pix of the lights i bought

for balcony and passageway to room

23-03-07_1806.jpg

for kitchen, yard, common toilet and outside of toilet

23-03-07_1804.jpg

for MBR and MBR toilet

23-03-07_1803.jpg

pix of more kuromi stuff for my room

sign at room door

23-03-07_0847.jpg

mug for my daily fix

23-03-07_0846.jpg

got it from a shop in chinatown point that sells hello kitty stuff

they get their goods from japan so sometimes they have very cute stuff

thinking of buying the kuromi cloth to make door curtains for my room

went down to my unit to check what was being done

they only oiled the hinges and cleaned up the cement splatter

also cleaned the tracks so the doors are easier to slide open

but the rusty hinges and nails are not changed :notti:

will call ng tomorrow and ask her about it

got a quote from patrick of ho bee

it's quite reasonable but two of us are playing hide and seek

he called and i missed it, when i call back he didn't pick up

will call him again tomorrow to see when can meet up to further discuss about the things i want done

might be doing some carpentry work afterall

need a divider to block my sofa as my door is right at the end of the corridor so anyone returning home will look straight through my unit to the other block

oh, tink i saw the shop b4.. 2nd or 3rd floor rite?

u really haf to push the HDB ppl, otherwise they really do the work slowly. did u managed to get them to change the floor tiles for u or u gonna find a contractor to do that? i've called the HDB contractor yesterday coz i wan to buy floor tiles, heard dat there are some units over at 298A and 298B which are changing floor tiles.

mine also at the corridor (beri obvious coz we both got same floorplan :notti: ). i'll be having a black tempered glass divider with the prayer altar on the other side facing the balcony. like dat den got privacy mah.. my next door neighbour (a young couple who juz got married) nv do divider and their sofa is very near the door. everytime i walk pass can look rite inside lor.

think me doing a divider also

but most prob below will be shoe cabinet and on top will be display

so next time when it's up when enter the unit must turn right then turn left to enter the living...

now headache ah, dun know should stick with my L-shaped kitchen or not

i just called the HDB tiles contractor tis aftn coz i wan to buy tiles. we are hacking our study room wall so need tiles to replace the affected areas.. but the contractor told mi he got no stock in his storeroom and asked me to call his directly supplier Hafary at Defu Lane. :notti: the direct supplier said the tiles was ordered last aug, maybe dun haf same colour liao. :bangwall: he said will get back to mi tml morning to confirm whether have the stock anot. if sway sway he dun haf the same colour tiles anymore i also dunno how liao. wan to faint already. :huh:

my hubby said if really dun haf the tiles den dun wan to hack the study room wall liao 8| told my ID who suggested dat i use similar coloured tiles :notti: hubby n mi cannot accept tis lor. so ID said let the entrance remain the original position and still hack the walls but nt all the wall to the floor. tis way we wun need tiles and still can make the study room mei mei :(

dear dear that doesn't sound very good does it

think i better decide now if i should hack the study walls or not

if yes then ask the contractor from hdb to do it together, provided hdb is changing my tiles for me

still have not gotten down to calling her coz still undecided about the tiles... would you have topped up to change to homogeneous tiles?